• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon vs Sony opinions.

Tricky-Ricky

Specifically relating to whether a Denon AVR 2300w would be a noticeable improvement over an older Sony STR-DN1040, i know i would be gaining Atmos and DTX, and hopefully better switching control, but would the overall sound handling of the Denon be better at both movies and music?

I find the Sony very good with my speakers (please don't ask for a list as they are an eclectic mix) but on the whole sound very good once i have tweaked all the settings, never liked the calibrated settings you get from various room equalization methods, and its my ears that are the main consideration.

So ideally i would like to her any views from past owners who have owned the Sony and now have the Denon, but all opinions on the two receivers welcome.

tony nevitt

Specifically relating to whether a Denon AVR 2300w would be a noticeable improvement over an older Sony STR-DN1040, i know i would be gaining Atmos and DTX, and hopefully better switching control, but would the overall sound handling of the Denon be better at both movies and music?

I find the Sony very good with my speakers (please don't ask for a list as they are an eclectic mix) but on the whole sound very good once i have tweaked all the settings, never liked the calibrated settings you get from various room equalization methods, and its my ears that are the main consideration.

So ideally i would like to her any views from past owners who have owned the Sony and now have the Denon, but all opinions on the two receivers welcome.
I currently have a denon (1300) it is the only non sony receiver I have ever bought. I am pleased with the denon, but I was also happy with the ones from sony, I just decided to go for something different. One thing I do miss is the blue light which came on when the films were in dolby, you don't get that on the denon. The Denon you are talking about gets plenty of good reviews, both on here, and what hi fi so I can't see you being disappointed if you went for that one. Good luck in your search.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom