1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Vs. Onkyo & Pioneer

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sugus, May 21, 2004.

1. Sugus

Sugus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

First of all, apologizes for my poor English (I am writing you from Spain).

The thing is that I am about to purchase my first AV receiver, and I got 3 models on my list:

1. Denon AVR-3803 (my favorite one!!)
    2. Onkyo TX-SR501E
    3. Pioneer VSX-AX3

I have read several reviews of those models, and I know that all of them perform truly well with multichannel material. But the thing is that I will be using the system to play a lot of CD's. In fact, I would say that 70% of the use will be with stereo material.

So that is question: which of the above models do you think is more music-friendly?. I really like Denon one, but I would like to hear something from you guys... (by the way, I still have not purchase the speakers, but I was thinking in getting the Acoustic Energy Evo 3B pack... is this a good choice for any of the models on my list?).

I really thank you for your attention.

Cheers

Pepe

Ps.: apologizes again for my English... :blush:

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think you will enjoy any of the amps on your list. In the UK we dont have much exposure to Onkyo amps so feedback on them might be hard to get. The denon is prob your best choice. The AX3 only has the THX certification and the option to bi-amp your front speakers as bonuses above the 3803 spec's. If you can get it and you want a very good stereo amp look at the Harman/Kardon amps.

I can highly recommend the AE Evo series as speakers :clap: for stereo and multi-channel. Just use good speaker cable, mass load them and keep them away from corners and back walls.

Hows the weather over there in Spain?? :hiya:

3. Sugus

Sugus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your opinion Dfour!!
    I believe I will finally get the Denon... althought the Onkyo liked me a lot as well.
    There are not many reviews about HK amps, but I believe that they performs very good in stereo, and just average on mutichannel...
    Concerning the speakers, there are so many awards and positive reviews on the AE, that it was a quick and easy choice... anyway, alternatives opinions will be welcome.

Dfour, springtime in Spain is wonderful, the weather is fine. But in one month and a half or so, we will be suffering the 40 degrees summertime!! :eek: (time to go to the beach!!) :cool:

Cheers

4. mattmatt

mattmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the chance to audtion today yamaha rxv 1400 and the onkyo txnr 900, there was no match, onkyo was overwhelming victor!! it just took us 3 min. to decide :clap: I have no idea about the Denon, as per what hi fi June 2004, onkyo 900 rated 5 star, plan to pair with mission 780se speakers or floorstanders... :hiya:

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    That is not a fair comparison as the onkyo txnr 900 is an amp costing over £1000 when the yammy is about £700. I cant even find a price for it in the UK so im converting $.

6. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Onkyo is the cheapest I think its only 400 odd €uros.I've just purchased the Pioneer 912 from redcoon.es,and have been delighted with it,superb value for money,480€uros including delivery from SEUR,arrived a bit late,but it really was worth it and I'm happy with it,it's purely for A/V not music,so the next range would be better.

The Denon would probably be better for 2 channel,but neither of the three would compare to a quality 2 chanel stereo amp.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You really Should consider an amp from the HK (Harman Kardon ) Range, Perhaps theAVR 330, HK perform very well in stereo and have very high Quality Amps, Far fewer pointless DSP modes and superb multichannel performance, have a search for HK and see what you think but in stereo they out perform almost every other integrated and some expensive Combo units (rotel etc)

8. mattmatt

mattmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To tell you honestly I was able to buy the onkyo 900 at a sale price around usd 850 only...cheap isn't it?,
    if not prices should be double of that of yamaha 1400, i got mine plus only usd 200 to rxv1400, which I though was a super bargain :clap: :laugh: , I believe we audiophiles must have the patience to scout for these type of bargains, same with speakers..do you I agree??keep on searching and LOTS OF PATIENCE...! :clap: :hiya:

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yup its the only way to buy hi-fi stuff. Its a shame that Onkyo isnt easily available in the UK. I have heard mixed feelings about them and would love to hear a couple. :)