• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Denon Versus Oppo

happyhotspur

Novice Member
I was considering the purchase of the Denon 1930 but having looked through some of the comments on this forum am not sure if the Oppo 981h would be a better buy.

I know most peoples views in this price range will be subjective but am interested to here from others as to their opinion.

I purchased my new HD tv from reading others comments and am very happy with it.

any help
:lease:

Toshiba 32WLT66, Denon AVR1507, KEF1005s, Denon DCD825 CD player (i know its old but still excellent), SKY HD

Smurkenstein

Novice Member
I'm not sure you can buy the new Oppo, yet?!? I quite fancy a 981, so if you find a seller (apart from crtprojectors), please chime up.

One thing that made me think twice - the 981 wont play USB stick, and as I discovered this weekend, playback of family photos from a laptop on a 40 inch bravia X is pretty nice.

Zag

Smurkenstein

Novice Member
I'm still looking but what is wrong with CRT(projectors)

I didn't mean anything negative about crtprojectors...I was just looking for a store that has them in stock. In fact people bouncing back in their defence would suggest they are a solid, well thought of retailler.

Guess we only need to wait a couple of days.

P

Packetfront

I didn't mean anything negative about crtprojectors...I was just looking for a store that has them in stock. In fact people bouncing back in their defence would suggest they are a solid, well thought of retailler.

Guess we only need to wait a couple of days.

Just buy online directly from Oppo, its cheaper.

Nic Rhodes

Duty 14%, transport from US (ouch even for a lght player) and VAT on everything.

so $199, plus say $50 for international shipping gives $250 (substiute any courier figure you want here). At £:$ of 1.85:1 (guess) this is £135. Add 14% duty and 17.5% VAT and you get £180. CRT sell at £165 delivered. If you adjusted the transport figure then $25 is the figure you need to get about £165, $25 from the US for transport, is that reasonable for a DVD player? Not in my book, Royal mail won't do that in this country!!. Did we mention the often levied 'handling charge' typically £8 to £10 or UK guarantee or 'help' from one of the best guys in the industry?

CRT Projectors generally deliver these things in 24hrs....

happyhotspur

Novice Member
So at about £165 for the new OPPO 981H is it that much better than the Denon 1930?

Christmas is coming and am still not sure what to go for!

:confused:

blue max

Distinguished Member
CRT sell at £165 delivered.

Thanks for that Nic, however is the DV981HD not £189 delivered from CRT? Were you thinking of the 971 in your calculations perhaps. I don't think Oppo sell the 971 anymore in the US.

Hope you folks mind me asking another question - will the 1080p help my picture quality with a 32in lcd tv (768px). It would have to downscale it to fit, so would it be better quality?

Graham

sk8

Novice Member
1930 is around the 200 quid mark

Nic Rhodes

Thanks for that Nic, however is the DV981HD not £189 delivered from CRT? Were you thinking of the 971 in your calculations perhaps. I don't think Oppo sell the 971 anymore in the US.

Hope you folks mind me asking another question - will the 1080p help my picture quality with a 32in lcd tv (768px). It would have to downscale it to fit, so would it be better quality?

Graham

I just slung the 971 figures into a calculator as it was all I could remember without looking stuff up. Just do it for the 981 and you get £200, CRT sell at £189. The point is the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom