1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon V Arcam

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PaulHaggerty, Oct 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. PaulHaggerty

PaulHaggerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help,

I plan to buy either the Denon DVD3910/AVR3805 combo or the Arcam DV79/AVR300.

I fancy the Denon for ease of set up (I know this may be only a minor consideration) Good old What HIFI set me in a spin by recommending the Denon combo over the Arcam in the Nov issue, yet only two weeks later in the Awards issue they went and gave the awards to the Arcam? (I like to think the editor had his head flushed down the toilet for this lack of continuity), however it doesn't help me.

I want an easy to use, no haste system but I do want the sytem that can deliver not only on the DVD side (I plan to buy a ScreenPlay 5700) but also double up as my CD source?

So I finish as I started and say Help!

As a PS it has to function as a Multi-Region player too

2. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Arcam for sound quality (including the DV79 as a CD player), without a doubt. The Denon for actually responding to the remote control in a reasonable time and its nice auto set-up feature. The angle of acceptance and response time for the remote control on the DV79 is poor (can't comment about the AVR300).

As for picture quality, IMO, this depends upon which display you have and whether you want to connect it up via HDMI or component. I am biased since I own a DV79, but I did compare it (home loan) against the Denon using the component out. IMO, the Denon is seriously flawed, it produces blocks where there aren't any on the original disc. For that reason, I couldn't recommend it to anyone. Some people just don't seem to see the problem though, so it must be display/connection dependent. The blocking may not occur via the HDMI output?

The pio 868 is also a very good DVD player, can play any disc, has awesome +/-R compatibility, but does not sound very good as a CD player.

Now then, onto the HDMI output. The Arcam doesn't do any upscaling, in order words, it just feeds out 576(PAL)/480(NTSC). The pioneer and the denon are able to output at higher resolutions, which MAY look better on your display/projector. However, the Arcam can output interlaced via HDMI, so you can use an external scalar (if you wish) or your display's deinterlacer if you prefer that to the deinterlacer in the Arcam.

To sum up, for sound quality: Arcam
    For ease of use: Denon
    For picture quality: May depend upon what you're connecting it to!

P.S.: The arcam multi-region mod takes 20 secs and can be done by anyone. The Denon requires a disc. I'm not sure about the pio.

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Do bad edits affect the DVD79 like they did on the DVD88/89? That put me right of the DVD89 as its as serious fault as macroblocking IMO if you are using the progressive output from the player.

I have my 3910 hooked up via component and I have only seen one instance of macroblocking in about 40 films - on the black around Ediko logo at the start of Hero. Its possible that my display (36") isn't big enough for it to be noticable all the time, its also possible that its only an issue with certain display types as ihan says, I have tried the other common problem film - gladiator.

I'm using the multi region firmware by the way.

4. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi BrianC,

I don't think I've seen a 'bad edit' with the DV79. I am uncertain, though, because I am not not certain what one is. Can you post a list of some discs where the problem may be visible? Do you think it affects both PAL & NTSC?

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Brian

Interesting you mention this, I've posted several things about bad edits. Do you see them too?

6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  7. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Brian; I now know what you are talking about. I haven't seen any.

According to http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...ype=&manufacturer=0&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0 , the DV79 doesn't suffer from bad edits, however, the old DV78 does. Unfortunately, the DV88+ isn't reviewed.

Unfortunately, I don't own any of the discs mentioned in the 'smurfin' thread, but I'll certainly inform you if I see any 'bad edits'.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The other thing to consider when deciding between the Arcam & Denon setups is - do you want to listen to SACD? If you do then you can't do that with the Arcams as none of their DVD players decode SACD. I personally get around this by haveing a second player that can handle both DVD-A & SACD which is another option.
    CD replay on the Arcam DV79 is said to be almost as good as their higher end CD players which IMO is very good. Also the AVR300 rated output is actually achieveable with all channels driven, but Denon are renowned for underpowering their receivers.

Mark.

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'd agree that the dv79 is the better cd player, I think John Dawson compared it to a CD73 (could be wrong), which go for about £400. The cd playback of the 3910 has grown on me considerably since I got it, but not enough to prevent me now looking for an external DAC to supplement it.

DVD-A is about the same between the two players, and SACD sounds better (at least to my ears) than DVD-A, but prehaps this is down to the recordings that I have on each format.

I'm wary of doing a single disk comparison between SACD and DVD-A as the transfer can adversely affect one format or the other as they use different bit masks, sorry I can't seem to articulate that properly, its in last months Gramaphone magazine if you want it in english.

10. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I had an Arcam FMJ 27 for about two and a half years, it was very good at the time (as it should be for £1600!) but increasingly noted a few problems, and as they stopped doing firmware updates for the machine around 2 years ago, as according to tech support they had moved onto the A editions and weren't gonna improve the (slightly) older machine rendering improvement impossible...

...I have therefore taken delivery of a Denon 3910, at almost half the price, which even on component blows the Arcam's picture away, is more user friendly, future proofed with SACD/DVD-A & dvi & hdmi.

I have a Krell home cinema system, so can honestly say the sound is better on dvd than the arcam - CD not quite as good, but a £900 audio modification from audiocom should take it above and beyond the performance of the new Arcam for almost the same money!

You pays your money and....

M

11. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had my dv89 for about six months, its set on auto ps output playing through my pw6b have never noticed any of the problems read on this forum, also had no trouble with my previous player the dv88