Denon upgrade thoughts

I am currently using an old beat up old Denon 2313 which is happily playing at -5 for movies and that’s with it sat in a cabinet getting hot.

That's pretty loud Have you calibrated it?

I haven’t done anything with it. I paid £50 for it off eBay without even a mic. -5 is loud but I’m sure my previous pre/power combo was louder at -5 so wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t a true -5. I should get a sound meter really.

That microphone limitation also applies to newer Denon/Marantz AVRs too. Even with the new expensive PC based windows app as well as the cheaper Android app.

Well, there is a Denon calibrated microphone that now works with MultEQ-X. More accurate than the standard one supplied.

And, also, the MultEQ-X application imports data from REW. So, many people now make measurements with a UMIK model then use the import tool (and/or use it for house curves etc).

X4700 is compatible with that too.

At launch, MultEQ-X supports all Denon and Marantz AVRs that are compatible with the “Audyssey MultEQ Editor” mobile application (available on iOS and Android).
Audyssey MultEQ-X Brings Powerful New Room Equalization Capabilities to Home Theater and Audio Enthusiasts

Worth adding to this.

Yes, MultEQ-X is compatible with all models that the phone/tablet app is.

But, not all features are available on all models. They key one being that, on the newer models, you are able to just run a measurement adding (for example) two height speakers. Or, you move our surrounds and can just run the application for those two channels. There is a bit of legacy model coverage on this feature but not much.

Why on earth would you pay £800 for secondhand electronics with no guarantee and no support when you can get a new one for £999 or ex demos, open box etc with full warranty for £919-£949? Just crazy.

Spatialaudio lists the x3700 for £985 with 6 years warranty, free UK delivery.

Personally, for a used one, it would need to be about £600 or less for me to be tempted.

Weirdly, there are people (replace this word with what you wish🤣) paying between £400 and £600 for x3400 and x3500s. And as we all know, the internals went to the very different layout/architecture at the x3600 onwards.

Thanks for all your help on this. With the reality that new models will be released ~ June and the inevitable drop of prices to current gen, I think it would be best to wait and continue to slum it with the 4200 for now.

Is that speculation or do you have a source for that reality? :)
That's what I can gather from reading various threads yesterday on here. Nothing concrete but based on the fact "they always do" except last year due to Covid and other factors, so more likely than not they will this year.

I think it would be best to wait and continue to slum it with the 4200 for now.
A Denon 4200w - is hardly "slumming it". But your point is a valid & logical one - especially in the current climate!

A Denon 4200w - is hardly "slumming it". But your point is a valid & logical one - especially in the current climate!

That's why I put the laughing face, it's a very capable AVR. And, in fact, offers front wides which most AVRs now don't - albeit not discrete front wides but for most sources anyone with front wides doesn't have that anyway.

As Joni sang, "you don't know what you've got till it's gone"... we could probably all clear ourselves from suffering with upgraditis if we used a £100 sound bar for a month. Once our systems are powered back up then we'd never moan again!

Was thinking of getting the 3700, but with a PS5 and Xbox, would want 2 HDMI inputs that can handle 4K/120. The 1700 has 3 inputs. 3800 would be my choice but how long to wait!

Last edited:
Was thinking of getting the 3700, but with a PS5 and Xbox, would want 2 HDMI inputs that can handle 4K/120. The 1700 has 3 inputs. 3800 would be my choice but how long to wait!

If it was me then I'd wait. Assuming you still have the Sony AVR, I'd just use ARC from the TV for a while. I think the STR-DA3700ES is a decent AVR just a bit dated. You even have four ethernet switches on the back - super useful!

I was considering putting the "slum it" in quotes. I should have! True I'm not really suffering, just that for my own OCD I like to have AVRs on a 6 year upgrade cycle. I'm very happy with the sound my setup gives, just that feeling at the back of the mind wondering if I'm not missing out not being able to smoothen my curves so to speak!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom