1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon UK has posted the latest AVC-A1SE upgrade specs!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jim Robson, Feb 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    As of today (8th Feb) the final upgrade details are now on the Denon UK site HERE Select News, Consumer Product News and then Denon AVC-A1SE Upgrade.

However they do go on to say "We are in the final stages of detailing the logistics, costs and timing of the upgrade and we will publish this information here as soon as it is available."

It has also been announced that the upgrade in the US will not start until April as there are Hammerhead SHARC shortages. I assume that this will equally affect the UK too.

Regards

Jim :)

PS Here's the item from Denon US

"FOLKS I HAVE SOME NEW TO PASS ALONG REGARDING THE UPGRADE KIT FOR AVR-5800,

DUE TO VERY TIGHT AVAILABILITY OF HAMMERHEAD SHARC DSPs - The release of the Upgrade Board has be moved to April. I apologize for this delay. Those who pre-registered will still be notified when the kits are available in the order they registered.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    If the USA are delayed then that buggers up me getting my amp back to the UK for March:mad:

Denon Germany still list the upgrade for end of Feb though.

Unless Europe get them before the States but its highly unlikely!!:(

3. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Denon UK are in the happy position of never having committed themselves to a specific date. This turns out to be very sensible in view of what may happen! I'd imagine that Denon Japan would be much keener to see the US have the upgrade boards before those of us living in Europe? Hopefully this won't be the case and we'll all have them at the same time. I have to agree that it's unlikely that we'll beat America to it!

Regards

4. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From another forum:-

Darryl P said "I understand from Denon that upgrade boards will only be manufactured during the month of March to fulfil confirmed orders received by the factory by end of February. Denon engineers will then be travelling to various countries to do and supervise the installations and upgrades. This is the reason for the worldwide delay in supply and installation. Once this production run is completely sold, there will be no additional boards made or available. I'm also told that the final specs for the AVC-A1SR will only be agreed at the European Product planning meeting in late March so that may imply an additional wait for the new amp."

Eskild said
    "Upgrade possibility in Europe for this unit will first take place in May!!! They say that Denon first of all will make a priority of the American market!! The Denon DVD-A1 (European model DVD-9000) will appear in April!"

Regards

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think Denon Germany has now postponed the upgrade date, too, though the website might not be up-to-date.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Looks like I´ll have to spend the cash on something else then, if its delayed until May.:rolleyes:

7. PIL

PIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you register for this before the end of Feb for the UK? I see nothing on the Denon UK website regarding any 'registering'. What have other AVCA1SE users done? I want mine upgraded, so what should i do?

Any theories?

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The registration seems only to apply to the USA and maybe Australia (thats where Darryl P is).

I spoke to my dealer in the UK and he is going to call me when they get firm confirmation of dates then we´ll take it from there.

Theres no reason to think you couldnt do the same with your dealer.

9. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    .......................and for those of you who can actually make it to Bristol next weekend, you can pump Denon UK for the latest info on this upgrade!! Keep us posted please!

The following was posted on the Denon UK website, today (15th).

"STOP PRESS!

DENON at the
    Sound & Vision Bristol Show 2002
    Marriot Hotel,
    Lower Castle St,
    Bristol BS1 3AD

Tel: 0117 9294281
    Fax: 0117 9276377

The show runs from Friday 22nd February to Sunday 24th February (see March issue of What Hi-Fi magazine for full details).

Denon will present the entire consumer range at this year’s show in three main areas:

Berlin 3
    Presenting the Denon’s range of mini and micro systems. A demonstration of the ADV700 DVD system in a room setting, plus a rolling demonstration of the System 201 including new SC-M201 speakers.

Berlin 2
    Timed demonstration of the AVCA11SR and DVD1600. Plus the UK launch of the new Flagship DVD Audio/Video Player, DVD-A1.

Bristol Suite
    In this area will the full range of Hi Fi separates and Home Cinema products.

For further information please visit the show web site HERE

See you there !!"

Regards

10. PIL

PIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He does imply some sort of limit though - is this a bit of marketing hype and sales pitch for our cousins across the pond?

I bought mine on the cheap from SGB, now Kush (or something), so I suspect I'll either have to deal direct or find a friendly dealer.

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The "shortage" seems to be causing confusion.

My dealer says the Denon Rep. told him there would be no time limit put on having the upgrade done. I think there would be a few upset owners if further down the road you were told "sorry no upgrade boards left, cant do it anymore!"
    I would imagine Denon would cover themselves, maybe they will start registering those that want the upgrade, but closer to the actual upgrade availability date.

I suppose we´ll have to wait for the official view from Hayden Labs (Denon UK).

12. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sadly, due to the delay/shortage of the Hammerhead Sharc DSP's for the upgrade board etc, Denon UK will not be able to demonstrate an upgraded AVC-A1SE at this coming weekend’s Bristol Show, but they do expect to make a strong impact with the new DVD-A1 running through an A11SR. (Home Entertainment just loved this amp!).

I will be interesting to hear the views of those who are lucky enough to be able to attend this show.

Regards

13. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi there

I hope this limited time rumour for the A1SE is not true. I can't believe it is, maybe there will always be a waiting list because of the demand for the boards etc for other electronics, but a upgrade deadline seems a little harsh, especially as the time frame seems so short! I mean, how can Denon have expected people to register for an upgrade when they hadn't released the full spec and price for the service? The price is still not verified!

From what I read, the upgrade definately is a worthy one, much better than first publicised and I will want to have mine done, but only when I can afford it! I am currently unemployed and would feel a little duped by Denon, if they turned and told me I was too late to get an upgrade, when upgradability is a major selling point of the amp!

If anyone wants to hear a funny story about how I got my AVC A1SE, brand new, from a shop (legit) for £1450, send me an email at funkyman51@hotmail.com

Cheers

Kane

14. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This is an extract of an email I received a few weeks back from Denon UK:

It would seem that there is no time limit on the upgrade; as long as there is demand for it, it will be available.

Mark

15. andy0567

andy0567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got back from Bristol. Spoke to Denon about the upgrade- it'll cost £600 here in the UK and will be available from April. It will be a time limited offer in the sense they did not expect Denon Japan to keep producing upgrade boards but it is likely it will be available for about a year (Denon rep guess-tumate). You'll have to send your unit back to your dealer who'll send it on to Denon. They were a little cagey about possible turnaround times for the upgrade.

Went to a demonstration of a pre-production Denon DVD Audio player- forget the name but its the one going for £2,500 and has Denon link. It was a little flakey- they had to switch it on and off again for the sound to output! The Queen DVD-A of "Love of My Life" was damn impressive.

Tag Maclaran did a good demo on progressive scan and scaling- very expensive kit used for that. Naim's stereo sound demo was predictably impressive- their surround kit good but not outstanding.

Meridian's demo damn fine too.

Andrew

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Jim

Sorry for butting in here but my understanding of the new 'Super SHARC' is that there are technical issues to be resolved (re design) not a shortage per say. Tag and others are in a similar position. Therefore I think the timescales discussed here are widely optimistic. Tag are now quoting late summer for their MAJOR 192 upgrade, primarily because of these Analogue Device issues. I hope I am wrong for the implication for you guys.