Denon UD-M5 Mission Vs KEF

G

george1068

Hi there guys, i have a Denon UD-M5 thats getting on a bit now, it still has the original mission-made (denon badged) speakers that are 30w per channel, 6 ohm. I also have an elac active subwoofer hooked up via the sub out on the back.

I am looking to upgrade my speakers for about 150 british notes and am looking mainly in the direction of kef cresta 2's as they have glowing reviews and are also bi-wireable, so if i upgraded to a seperates system some time in the future i would be well away. Has anybody heard a pair of these driven by an M5? Is the differnece in sound going to be much over the standard missions?? if not can anyone recommend some other speakers for a similar price??

many thanks, matt

why not add a sub and leave the well proven speakers?

I hear what youre saying but im looking for better bass extension and imaging so that i can take the sub out of the system. The sub was bought originally to do this but my room is fairly small, L-shaped and also has 4 false walls and the sub just creates a booming noise whereever it is placed. i have fiddled with crossover and other settings but to no avail. it has never really sounded right since i got it, it just doesnt balance well with the speakers, hence the reason im looking for different speakers that pack some more low end grunt and i will then sell the sub.

any body else got any suggestions? what are your general thoughts on the cresta 2? will it perform well with the ud-m5 or am i best off with a different manufacturer?

hi i have used cresta 2 speakers for a while now and i can find no problem using
them with teak ref 500 system regards trevor

thanks trevor, i think thats what i shall go for then. just wondered if the denon would drive them ok but i think it will cope. matt

the denon will be fine the cresta 2s are biwireable for single wiring use the two
outer plugs on each speakers for some reason this gives a better sound and
it works trevor

thanks a lot trevor i will do. i had also heard that rumor that the outer two terminals will give better sound ( i think an engineer at KEF suggested it in someone elses post)

while im here im looking to sell my elac sub 101 esp. probly wack it on ebay, any ideas what a good reserve price might be?? they retail at 165 quid at hifibitz...

the old adage is start low and hope for the best the hifi/ home cinema scene is
so fickle these days its a buyers market plus maybe passive subs fetch more
than active ones in most situactions so depending on age condition ect about
a third of retail maybe to start good luck trevor

I don't I don't know where Trevor got his AV education from, but everybody in the AV community that I have ever known seems to universally agree that active subwoofers are not only more desirable but also more expensive than passive subwoofers. That aside, the way that the audio industry determines the resale value of a piece of audio gear, is to first decide that the item is first, desirable, then apply 40 to 60% as a projected resale price of the actual original selling price(Not necessarily the MSRP) of the item. Then you will be offered 40-50% of that as a trade toward a new product.
Start by asking 60% of the original actual selling price. You can always lower the price if you need to. You can never go up. Well, you can try, but I don't think you'll have much luck if you do.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom