1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon ud-m30 volume fault

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by algeorge, Jan 17, 2005.

1. algeorge

algeorge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone . ive got a denon ud-m30 that ive had for about 4 years recently its developed a fault when using the volume dial to decrease the volume . when the dial is turned anti clockwise to decrease the volume the volume increases by randon amounts i.e 18,21,19,23, and so on so it often ends up at full volume and its difficult to turn the volume down . the other problem ive been having is that the volume often takes it upon its self to increase on its own so one minute you can be listening to a cd or whatever at background volumes and the next it scares you s**tless by blaring out at full volume . if any one can shed any light on this or it is known to be a common fault id be very gratefull for some advice .

2. Big Ole Bear

Big Ole Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got exactly the same problem. Any ideas about how to fix it?

3. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My dealer recons its the logic chip, but can't say for sure until he sends it in for investigation - yes I've got one that does this too! Blaming the logic chip sounds like a bit of a catchall bucket for these types of faults though. However, I've found a spot on the volume knob where it stays at the same volume and I now just use the remote to change the volume, which is well behaved.

Paul

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    brilliant i just bought one second hand! :thumbsdow

5. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Actually just got my glasses out and had another look - mines a UD-M3 (not 30) :rolleyes:

Paul

6. reklaw

reklaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an old post but I also had this problem and could not find a solution. After a lot of research I found that the volume control uses a rotary encoder. Genuine Denon spares are still available, fitting a new encoder will fix this problem. Anyone with soldering experience should be able to do this.

7. 20vek

20vek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To reklaw. Hello. I have exactly the same problem with my 5 years old UD-M30.:suicide: Do you know where I can order this part from? and/or the part number? Thank you in advance.

8. reklaw

reklaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. afourtrackmind

afourtrackmind
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, this is an easy one
    you need to clean the encoder with a switch cleaner.
    Essentially this fucntions just like a pot. Best part is not having to take the whole thing apart to do this.
    The DEOXIT brand is the best, although it is very expensive. They also have a product called F5 faderlube, which is meant for such a job
    Good luck

10. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i absolutely love you guys.

i was half considering binning the ud m30 as it was going to be expensive to get quotes these days.

i'm going to order this part and see how we go. :clap:

11. thedon1978

thedon1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Ive got exactly the same problem with my denon, bought it second hand, ebay (seller omitted this information), but still, a steal for£50. Will try the the "cleaning" method before taking it apart and probably writing the whole thing off. Glad to find i'm not the only one with this prob.:lesson:

12. NatalieT

NatalieT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I would like to try the switch cleaning method suggested here for my faulty UD-M30. Has anyone done this already and can offer me some help? I'm guessing that I need to take the front panel off? When I try to do this I remove the screws on the underside, then slide the underside off. The top doesn't want to come off and I don't want to force it. Any advice greatly appreciated.

13. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    This guy says he has a service manual. Maybe drop him a PM?

14. luik

luik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cleaning method works great. Thanks for posting the solution.

15. Penny59

Penny59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas where I can get my Denon repaired. When I put a CD in it won't play and makes a noise indicating that the CD is getting stuck? Woth taking apart and looking inside??

Thanks

16. timearp

timearp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Take the lid off and give the mechanism a clean, I've done this a couple of times to mine now and it has started working again. I did drop it in for repair the first time and it cost me 40 quid so you may as well do it yourself.

P.s. mine has started doing the volume thing, may be worth giving yours a clean while you've got it open!

17. wm_

wm_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worked beautifully for me, THANKS!
    William

18. Philbaildon

Philbaildon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about to fork out £145 to repair (new laser pick up assembly/traverse) my 10 year old UD-M30 and then spotted this forum. I have had both the problems mentioned earlier - volume rising without me doing anything and cd's not playing when tray goes into the unit. From speaking to the shop over the phone (I sent the unit away to a Denon authorised repairer) I don't think they've even looked at it - just quoted a price based on the fault I reported to them...Thanks to all who posted tips and advice - I'm going to have crack at repairing myself!:clap:

19. Boaty Dave

Boaty Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just sorted mine out after years of having to use the remote control.

The way I did it was as follows :

Disconnected from the mains and took out all speaker and other cables.
    Turned the unit over and removed four black screws underneath the front of the unit
    The metal front panel then was levered off coming out at the base of the unit first and then off at the top end.
    The five tiny buttons each have a little metal disc on them and are only held in by the front metal panel so it is wise to have a clear space and to have the unit pointing upwards when you do this to keep these buttons in place before putting them aside.
    The volume knob pulls off away from the unit revealing a nut which can be taken off with pliers or spanner. There is a washer under this nut.
    Then levering the plastic fascia panel up and out, you can access the rear of the control panel and remove eight brass screws to enable the circuit board to be taken out from the plastic panel. The on off button is likely to fall out - it is easily relocated on the two plastic pins on the rear side of the plastic panel.
    I used isopropyl alcohol (which can be bought at pharmacists in the UK) on a cotton bud, wiping around the shaft of the volume knob, turning the shaft at the same time, wiping all round the edges of the volume control and enabling the fluid to go under the volume knob. I let it dry for five minutes.
    Careful reassembly of the unit in the reverse order, cables back in, plugged in and it's now up and running.
    'Turn on, tune in, turn up or down just as you wish and drop out'

20. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Old thread but the problem with these volume knobs is the grease that they use around the shaft to damp its rotation and make the knob feel smoother. The grease, looks like Vaseline actually, gets into the switch. It gets between the two plates and stops the tiny contact arms touching the tracks properly.

The best thing I've found is to take the back off the knob and clean all the grease out. If you don't do this the problem can come back again.

21. tomandjo2

tomandjo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have service manuals for both UDM30 and UDM50 if anyone wants a pdf copy just PM me email address.

Tom

22. NickeT1971

NickeT1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I hade the exact same volume problem on my UD-M3. I disassembled the unit a year ago, figured that the volume control could not be opened, so I reassembled it and settled with using the remote.

Having a bad memory, today I once again disassembled the entire unit, and came to the same conclusion. But this time, after reassebling it, when I try to turn it on, the display just starts blinking. I mean, every single item on the display is blinking on and off, about once per second. It just keeps doing that.

So I figure I must have deranged it somehow, if not broken it entirely. Any suggestions as to how to reset it? Could anyone be kind enough as to send me a PDF service manual?

Yours sincerely,

NickeT

23. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    EEK. I had a similar experience. From this thread i replaced the faulty part and got myself a working volume control. I was dancing around the room :)

Two minutes later I tried reassembling the unit and the screen went doolally then off completely.

Soon after that the entire system wouldn't even turn on.

Ended up binning the lot. Rather gutted. Wasn't up for sending it in for a professional repair as it was hardly used.

Hope you have better luck than i did.

24. arzmich

arzmich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same issue. Cleaned encoder, no big deal, then reassembled - nothing worked.
    So took whole thing apart... 5V Standby voltage missing.

Tiny little "Semiconductor fuse" IC606 (ICP-N15) has blown up. Probably powering up in not fully assembled condition caused some short circuit.

Replaced component, now everything (including encoder) is fine.

25. NickeT1971

NickeT1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,

Here is a short update: I left the unit unplugged overnight, and in the morning it started ok. Lucky me!

So then I dissassembled everything again, and this time I also took apart the volume control and cleaned it from all the goo inside. I then put everything together again, and everything works fine!

The feeling of the volume control was not the same, as it turned a lot easier without the goo, so I made a washer out of felt, and placed it between the volume control knob and the chassis, so the friction makes it turn a bit slower, and I'm happy enough with the results.

No soldering, cost = 0, problem solved!

Cheers,

N.

26. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    It's a poor design. It should have been obvious that the grease would not stay put.

It's nice that people are getting it fixed though. Before the internet they'd all be going in the bin!

27. ianjoes

ianjoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mines got the same problem but where do i locate this semiconductor fuse IC606 ?
    Please Help

28. Kalle Anka

Kalle Anka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for the info about just cleaning the rotary encoder.
    The problem with the volume control was the vaseline-like liquid, which makes the volume-button twist smoother. I didn´t even need to take the panel off. I just pulled off the volume knob and put some cleaning solvent onto the rotary stick, while twisting it. After repeating this 3-4 times, the knob turns less smooth, but the volume control works perfect again.
    Thanks for help.

29. Demain44

Demain44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to thank Boaty Dave for this extremely useful posting.

I have had this problem with my Denon UD-M30 for a number of years, and was resigned to always using the remote control. It was still a problem though as visiting family often tried to use the control resulting in deafening volume.

Encouraged by this account of how to do it, I dismantled the unit this afternoon, took apart the volume control (bending open the metal tabs), and cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. There was definitely grease on the control surface and the contacts. After reassembling everything works as before, except I now have a working volume control.

Very many thanks again.

30. pete9012s

pete9012s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Denon has the volume knob problem,but more seriously,the sound keeps cutting off
    If I fiddle with the audio input leads at the back it comes back on for a bit,then it happens again.
    Anyone any ideas?