Denon Tuner- Help needed please!

HermanKerdan

Novice Member
Hello everyone - first time poster, posting and it's a plea for help! I have just bought a second hand Denon AM/FM Stereo Tuner, model number TU260L MII and wanted to double check which indoor FM aerial would be best/ fit it? The aerial terminal says FM COAX 75 Ohm. It has a female connection but all the male coaxial connectors I've tried are the same size as the input and the central pins are too thick to fit! I thought it would be pretty straight forward to find one on the web but so far not 100% sure about any of the models available in the UK? Any and all advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 19

Hear Here

Standard Member
Yes, that's where your FM aerial needs to be plugged in. Presumably you have an FM aerial, possibly hard wired into your home and marked FM - probably next to a very similar one marked TV. In fact the FM and TV cables and sockets are identical, so TV cables can be used - terrestrial, not satellite.

You need a cable such as this - Amazon product - to connect the aerial to your tuner. This particular one is male both ends but with a detachable converter to female. The socket on the tuner is female.

Hope this helps. Peter

HermanKerdan

Novice Member
Yes, that's where your FM aerial needs to be plugged in. Presumably you have an FM aerial, possibly hard wired into your home and marked FM - probably next to a very similar one marked TV. In fact the FM and TV cables and sockets are identical, so TV cables can be used - terrestrial, not satellite.

You need a cable such as this - Amazon product - to connect the aerial to your tuner. This particular one is male both ends but with a detachable converter to female. The socket on the tuner is female.

Hope this helps. Peter

Hello and thank you for your suggestion and link. I'm actually looking for an antenna to plug straight into the back of the tuner (and a standard terrestrial tv cable size plug is too large for the connector?)

Hear Here

Standard Member
Hello and thank you for your suggestion and link. I'm actually looking for an antenna to plug straight into the back of the tuner (and a standard terrestrial tv cable size plug is too large for the connector?)
The standard TV socket is the same, so make sure you have the right "sex" socket. You need the smaller male one to fit your tuner.

Something like this - Amazon product= - is a basic indoor FM aerial that comes with adaptors (you actually won't need them) to fit your tuner. Indoor aerials will only give satisfactory results if your room can easily get signals. Much better are loft or best of all roof aerials. Peter

HermanKerdan

Novice Member
Hello again - thank you, the only problem I saw with the smaller male adapter is it's a screw on fit and the input on the tuner isn't and I'm also worried that the the diameter of the adapter and the antenna plug are identical? I absolutely agree with you about loft/roof aerial but I wanted to find the right connector and test the tuner with an indoor FM aerial for comparison first.

Hear Here

Standard Member
Hello again - thank you, the only problem I saw with the smaller male adapter is it's a screw on fit and the input on the tuner isn't and I'm also worried that the the diameter of the adapter and the antenna plug are identical? I absolutely agree with you about loft/roof aerial but I wanted to find the right connector and test the tuner with an indoor FM aerial for comparison first.
The screw-on plug is not an FM aerial, it is a Sky or Freesat TV one. Why not just get the proper socket as per my links? Yes, try an indoor one first. The link I provided will fit your tuner. Peter

HermanKerdan

Novice Member
Great - so just to be clear, your money's on the Bingfu FM telescopic indoor antenna fitting straight into the back of tuner without the need for any adapters?

HermanKerdan

Novice Member
The screw-on plug is not an FM aerial, it is a Sky or Freesat TV one. Why not just get the proper socket as per my links? Yes, try an indoor one first. The link I provided will fit your tuner. Peter
Great - so just to be clear, your money's on the Bingfu FM telescopic indoor antenna fitting straight into the back of tuner without the need for any adapters?

Hear Here

Standard Member
I'm not saying that particular aerial is good - it was the first one I found on Amazon to give you an idea of the type of thing to look for. However, if that one works you will be laughing. It it doesn't work (gives poor or even no reception) you've not lost much - or you may be able to return it for exchange for something better - loft or outdoor aerial.

Most of use switched from FM to DAB 20 years ago and since then from DAB to Internet Radio. If you get a streamer of some sort (or even via your PC) you should be able to send it to your amp. 10,000+ radio stations on the net! Now this may need a more tricky cable! Depending on your PC output, you may need a mini or micro stereo jack (PC end) to twin phono plugs into your amp's Tuner or Aux input.

I hope this helps. Peter

HermanKerdan

Novice Member
I'm not saying that particular aerial is good - it was the first one I found on Amazon to give you an idea of the type of thing to look for. However, if that one works you will be laughing. It it doesn't work (gives poor or even no reception) you've not lost much - or you may be able to return it for exchange for something better - loft or outdoor aerial.

Most of use switched from FM to DAB 20 years ago and since then from DAB to Internet Radio. If you get a streamer of some sort (or even via your PC) you should be able to send it to your amp. 10,000+ radio stations on the net! Now this may need a more tricky cable! Depending on your PC output, you may need a mini or micro stereo jack (PC end) to twin phono plugs into your amp's Tuner or Aux input.

I hope this helps. Peter

Yes it does, many thanks for all your help, much appreciated! Happy to say I missed out DAB completely and picked up a CHR-F103 CD/HDD Music Server System (CD Player With Hard Drive USB and internet radio) second hand a few years ago for a steal, which I have been really pleased with BUT there's nothing like just turning the radio on!

Hear Here

Standard Member
I sympathise with your last sentence. I too have a Denon receiver - model DRA-425. Used for radio in my office until about 15 years ago. Good kit and I still have it carefully stored in a cupboard!

Last edited:

HermanKerdan

Novice Member

I hope this helps. Peter

Quick update, decided to go straight to a loft/outdoor aerial as recommended and bought a well reviewed Labgear Omni-Directional all-in-one kit from Screwfix. Intrigued to see if it will fit! Thanks again for your help and advice.

Hear Here

Standard Member
I think if you choose to listen to FM radio (considered by many to be superior to DAB and even Internet radio), then you do need a decent aerial. I'm pleased you've chosen to install a good quality loft aerial. Will you be installing it yourself, or getting it done professionally? Remember it should be arranged horizontally (unlike old analogue TV aerials) and should have its shorter / shortest receptor facing towards your nearest FM transmitter. Would that be Wrotham in Kent? Here's a UK map - mb21 - Transmitter Information - VHF Analogue Radio Transmitters - BBC National Radio A professional installer should have a reception meter to set it up to take best advantage of your situation, otherwise you have to rotate it around the compass direction of the transmitter and have someone downstairs listening to the radio! Many tuners have a basic reception meter that should help too.

I hope after all your efforts you achieve a good signal and can enjoy a few more years of FM-based music. The BBC has been trying to ditch FM for 20 years or so, but there are still so many tuners in use (particularly in cars) that this proposal has always been hotly resisted. Peter

HermanKerdan

Novice Member
I think if you choose to listen to FM radio (considered by many to be superior to DAB and even Internet radio), then you do need a decent aerial. I'm pleased you've chosen to install a good quality loft aerial. Will you be installing it yourself, or getting it done professionally? Remember it should be arranged horizontally (unlike old analogue TV aerials) and should have its shorter / shortest receptor facing towards your nearest FM transmitter. Would that be Wrotham in Kent? Here's a UK map - mb21 - Transmitter Information - VHF Analogue Radio Transmitters - BBC National Radio A professional installer should have a reception meter to set it up to take best advantage of your situation, otherwise you have to rotate it around the compass direction of the transmitter and have someone downstairs listening to the radio! Many tuners have a basic reception meter that should help too.

I hope after all your efforts you achieve a good signal and can enjoy a few more years of FM-based music. The BBC has been trying to ditch FM for 20 years or so, but there are still so many tuners in use (particularly in cars) that this proposal has always been hotly resisted. Peter

Hello again - thank you for the transmitter information - very useful and much appreciated! I have the aerial installed (I ended up using a higher spec coaxial copper cable instead of the cable provided with the kit) and very pleased to say I'm getting an excellent signal and enjoying plenty of stations all now pre-set on the tuner! So job done, thank you again!

dannnielll

The good news is that FM antenna can be installed in attics . It suffers much less attenuation under tiles or slates than higher frequency TV.
I also am a fan of FM, but cannot accept that it is better quality wise than Internet radio..I use both. It is usually better than DAB . My car radio is FM and Blue tooth .. no DAB since it is 10 years old and the TuneIn radio app is just that bit crisper ,via a mobile phone.

Ron Hilditch

Hello everyone - first time poster, posting and it's a plea for help! I have just bought a second hand Denon AM/FM Stereo Tuner, model number TU260L MII and wanted to double check which indoor FM aerial would be best/ fit it? The aerial terminal says FM COAX 75 Ohm. It has a female connection but all the male coaxial connectors I've tried are the same size as the input and the central pins are too thick to fit! I thought it would be pretty straight forward to find one on the web but so far not 100% sure about any of the models available in the UK? Any and all advice much appreciated.
The aerial connections are called Belling Lee plugs and sockets. Best if you buy what the Americans call a 'Gender Bender.' Just a coupler and that will solve your problems when trying to match the two aerial connectors. Any indoor aerial might not be good enough to give good reception. FM radio signals in the UK are horizontally polarised, so your aerial will work best when kept as horizontal as possible. Usually best of it's away from other electronic equipment and as near to a window as possible. Recently made one and fitted it for a friend. Worked OK on her window sill, moved away from the window it didn't work too well.

Hear Here

Standard Member
Hello again - thank you for the transmitter information - very useful and much appreciated! I have the aerial installed (I ended up using a higher spec coaxial copper cable instead of the cable provided with the kit) and very pleased to say I'm getting an excellent signal and enjoying plenty of stations all now pre-set on the tuner! So job done, thank you again!
That's great news. I was worried that, after going to all the trouble of installing an FM aerial, you may still not get good reception.

I was a fan of FM until I moved from London into a new-build apartment where the FM reception was poor despite an amplified communal aerial on the roof - 29 floors up and 10 above my level. My alternative was internet radio and I find this a very acceptable substitute - and of course it offers a choice of 10,000+ stations from around the world.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom