1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon tu1800dab reception issues

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by daffy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. daffy

daffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought the TU1800 to replace my TU260, to access the additional stations DAB provides.

Initial tuning captured all of the BBC stations, with good strength, low BER, etc, but none of the commercial stations. At all.

Anybody know why this might be? Do I need to do another scan at a different frequency to capture the commercial stations? If so, what is the frequency they broadcast at?

My DAB knowledge is low. I do appreciate the quality issues associated with DAB (hence the FM/DAB tuner) but would like the additional stations.

I am using the supplied tablemount aerial, but logic would suggest that if the BBC channels come in strong, shouldn't the commercial ones?

Any advice appreciated.

BTW, I tried to post a similar thread earlier - there were technical issues. If it finally appears then apologies for posting twice.

2. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    I purchased the Denon 1800 tuner yesterday, and whilst there is a fair amount to take in regarding all the options which will take a little time to get under my belt, I pulled in (as far as I know) all the available stations on the various frequencies. The reason for this is (probably) that I had a proper outside dab aerial fitted to the tv mast on the roof which also has an fm aerial fitted.

3. Harryo

Harryo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Sony DAB/FM/AM tuner which until recently I used with the bit of wire that they provide as an aerial.

Whilst I could receive all BBC stations (BBC National DAB) without any problem my local stations (EMAP Liverpool) were prone to the signal dropping to a low of 54%, which meant I had to switch to FM to listen to my favourite local BBC station.

I picked up a Triax DAB Omni-Directional aerial on eBay which I have placed in the loft and have no further problems with the signal dropping.

Harryo

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    As you'll see from my signature, I too have the Denon TU1800DAB Tuner and also use the DAB aerial as supplied with it - I get excellent reception on all stations, both BBC and commercial.

I guess it must be something to do with signal strength in your area and would reckon that a good loft or roof mounted aerial would be your best option.

Cheers,

Martin.

5. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    I've just read a group test review of dab tuners in Hi-Fi News between the Denon, Sony, AVI and the Arcam. I'm pleased to report that taking into the cost of the aformentioned products (but that not being the overiding factor) the Denon came out tops.

Denon £250, Sony £250, Arcam £449 and the AVI £899 :eek: .