Denon / Teac minis - advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JimDav, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JimDav

JimDav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering a minisystem and am torn between the Denon 35 DAB and the Teac 255.
    I have trawled many reviews and forum entries before coming down to this choice.
    Denon seems to be better regarded for its sound, although there aren't many reviews of the Teac to go on.
    The Teac is tempting due to the USB feature (I need to confirm that an external hard drive can be used here) and because of the front mounted 3.5mm jack input (I can use ipod as a source with this without getting any other hardware). I realise these are not conducive to 'best quality' sound but would be nice to have.
    I have a fairly good separates system (but >20 years old) so I appreciate good reproduction, but it's relegated to the back room (by order of swmbo).

Any advice appreciated on this matter.

ps Do I go for included speakers or are there any recommendations on better alernatives?
    Jim

2. JimDav

JimDav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the expertise in this forum and not one reply. Poor show!

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    i am a huge fan of the Denon systems, they are usally supplied with Mission speakers which are normally very good, i would always go for a Denon if i had to buy a all in one system , or you could consider a Linn Classik second hand which is available for about £500 second hand which is an amazing sounding system

4. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    The teac 255 is the same as the 250 but you pay an extra £50 for the usb socket ;)

The other choice is the Onkyo. If DAB is your reason to buy have a look at the bitrate discussion on the forum.

5. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I have the Teac Reference 250 which I am very pleased with. I changed the speakers to some Wharfedale 8.1's which do sound slightly better than the ones that came with the system. The latest Yammy is also supposed to be a good bet; model no. CRXM170 available for £170 online without speakers. Should be able top factor in some decent speakers for £150.

6. JimDav

JimDav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am aware of the limitations of DAB regarding quality, and I wouldn't be considering these systems if they didn't also receive FM.
    I have learned, since posting, that the TEAC 255 can only access a maximum of 2000 files via the USB port, which sort of limits my idea of using my external HDD with it.

The only remaining issue is therefore how I can best connect my Ipod to the Denon unit....
    ... Do you have to get a special connector/adaptor/docking station or can you get decent quality using a 3.5mm jack to RCA connector into the aux inputs of a system.

7. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use a std 3.5mm jack output from my standard i pod dock to my Denon 'all in one' connected with RCA connectors.

IMHO the music quality is better connected from the dock to the Denon than the headphone socket to the Denon. Not sure why though.

8. summerWhine

summerWhine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone heard the Teac 230 reciever that is being sold in Richer sounds for £150?

I was wondering if it is a good budget buy for a second system.

9. normski205

normski205

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It looks tempting at the price but it doesn't do MP3

10. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The Teac is more reliable than the Denon.....and try other speakers :)