Denon system advice before purchase

bigbaz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm interested in purchasing this Denon system as described below, not sure of its age however I would imagine its got to be + 4 yrs. Question is please whats a fair price to pay for something like this ? Many thanks in advance.

4 separate Denon units:- amplifier: PMA-201SA, stereo cassette tape deck DRR-201SA, stereo tuner TU-201SA RDS compatible, stereo CD player DCD-201SA. In absolute mint condition, brushed aluminium fascia with mirrored blue LED display. The display can be fully on, dimmed through several stages or off after operation. The sound quality is exceptional and rather loud at 50 Watts per channel. Stylish speakers in Beach solid metal front, base and rear. Soft tweeter cones and base air intake to the rear (Manufactured by Hayden Laboratories). Sold with Mordaunt Short speaker stands and a chrome and glass 4 self stand

Bump :hiya: Would £250.00 be a fair price ? Thanks

xogyz7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the specific Denon models, but a typical 50w/ch amp is around £200, and I suspect many of the other components are similar price. So, definitely worth £250 if in good shape.

Just one thing, you need to know the impedance of the power. In other words, 50w to 4 ohms is not much power, but an amp rated at 50w to 8 ohms is a decent amp.

I couldn't find any support information at the Denon-UK website, but I did find this at the Denon-BG website -

.:: DENON ::. PMA-201SA Amplifier

According to this, the Denon amp is only 30w to 8 ohms, but that still acceptable.

It is not all about specifications. You've heard the system, and if it works well together, then that is really all you need to know.

A further search of Google-UK indicates the average selling price of that amp at £175, which is about what I guessed.

Of course, I don't know if you are buying them or selling them and fishing for a fair price to charge. But if you are buying, I would say that £250 is an excellent price.

Steve/bluewizard

Many thanks Steve for your interesting and informative view on this, much appreciated, I am actually looking to buy the equipment. Regards the spec in the link it says...

Rated Output Power

(8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD) 30 W + 30 W

(4 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD) 50 W + 50 W

sorry I dont understand... why does it give two sets of figures :confused:

Cheers BB

Power is about electrical current.

The lower the impedance of the load, for a fixed applied voltage, the more current it draws, and current is what determines consumed power.

A lower load impedance demands more current and uses more power.

Power = Voltage(E) times Current(I)

However, the formula we want is -

Power = Voltage Squared (E²) divided by Impedance(R)

P = E²/R

Let's assume a fixed voltage of 10 volts, and see what the power is for 10v applied to 8 ohms and 10v applied to 4 ohms.

P = 10²/8 = 100/8 = 12.5 watts

P = 10²/4 = 100/4 = 25 watts

If we want to see the current, we use this formula -

Current = Power divided by Voltage or I = P/E

I = 12.5w/ 10v = 1.25 amps

I = 25w / 10v = 2.5 amps

What this means is, the volume control is set in the identical position in both cases. The volume control on a stereo is really a voltage control. Turn it up, the output voltage goes up, turn it down, the output voltage goes down. In both cases, it is set to 10 v. So, the same position on the volume control in both cases.

But in one case we consume 2.5 amps and 25 watts.

Sometimes 4 ohms power is given to give the amp an impression of inflated power. Though power rated at 8 ohms is considered the acceptable standard for power rating.

However, having the 4 ohms power with the 8 ohm power can give us some sense of how the amp will preform under heavy loads.

In a perfect world, the 4 ohms power should be double the 8 ohms power, though it usually is not. There are a wide range of reasons why 4 ohm power is not double that of 8 ohm power; some of the legitimate, and some of the not so legitimate.

In this case, give how nice the system looks and sounds (trusting you at your word on this), and especially give the very low price, a 30w to 8 ohm amp is, as I said, acceptable.

As to whether this is worth it to you for that amount of money, only you can decide.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom