Bargain DENON Studio Monitors - Less Than Half-Price

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by BlueWizard, Apr 12, 2017.

1. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I just spoke to gear4music on the phone and their supplier apparently has 100+ pairs of the Denon DN308s in stock - so availability is good if anyone else wants to jump in.

I have also updated my order so I am now due to receive: (i) a pair of the JBL LSR305s (ii) a pair of DN308S's, (iii) a single DN306S (meant to order 2, but I ordered 1 by mistake and maybe I can use it as a centre speaker and/or order a second one if it's any good). They also chucked in a couple of the 3.5mm - XLR connecting cables for free.

I may keep them all if they're nice (the 305s for my office and the 308s as stereo + the 306 as a center speaker for my home cinema system).

2. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Great they are still available, my cousin now wants a pair after hearing them, I would be interested to hear how the JBL compare to the Denon 308S when you get yours.

3. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Yup. That'll be an interesting listen. :smashin:

4. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Excellent stuff!

I'm delighted you're delighted.

A genuine bargain it would seem.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,982
    The DENON Monitors PLUS Speaker Stands are no longer offered, but the stands are not that expensive ... about £50 to £60 per pair.

Studio Monitor Speaker Stands, Pair at Gear4music.com

Samson MS200 Monitor Stands (Pair) at Gear4music.com

You really can not buy Hi-Fi stands this rugged, this versatile, and this cheap. Though perhaps true Hi-Fi stand might look prettier, I can't see how you can beat these Studio Monitor Stands for the amazingly low price.

I thought these were very interesting too. Little Adjustable Desktop Monitor Stands for only £35/pair -

Desktop Monitor Speaker Stands by Gear4music, Pair at Gear4music.com

Desktop Monitor Speaker Stands by Gear4music, Pair

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  6. mcarpe

mcarpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for a great find! I have just taken the plunge and ordered two 308s. I will probably set them up in the spare room with a Chromecast audio but I'll do a direct comparison with my monitor audio BX2 / Arcam setup first! Interestingly only 1 left in stock so I have to wait a week - expected delivery is 4th May :/

7. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Same for me - that's when the next delivery is due in. If you want the speaker stand offer @ £200 (works out at an extra £20 for the stands, which they claim to sell separately for £60) then you could try ringing and asking.

8. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,982
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  9. mcarpe

mcarpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately i got some disappointing news today from gear4music :

"Thank you for your recent order with Gear4music.

Unfortunately due to a stocking error we only have one of the ‘Denon DN-308 S 8'' Active Reference Monitor’ in stock – this item has also been discontinued so we will not be able to get any more. We are extremely sorry for this and any inconvenience it may cause.

We can assist you in finding a suitable alternative set of speakers or we can have your order cancelled at your request.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed and we will arrange this for you ASAP"

I have replied asking if they can do some kind of deal on the m audio bx8 otherwise I'll cancel my order.

10. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    What a shame. Try giving them a call. On the phone they told me the supplier had 100+ in stock.

11. mcarpe

mcarpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, will do on Tuesday. Can't say I'm overly fussed about it but would have been a nice little system for the office

12. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If they really don't have them, the M-Audio BX8 Carbon is exactly the same speaker (just with a different front fascia, no speaker grill and possibly a 0.25" inch larger tweeter) and about the same price. Links are in BlueWizard's posts, above.

13. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  14. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,982
    This would be the link to the M-Audio seeming equivalent -

M-Audio BX8 Carbon Professional 2-Way 8 inch Active Studio Monitor for Music Production, Recording and Mixing (Single): Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Still, the 8" M-Audio BX8 is only £99 each at Gear4Music, that's still a good deal -

M-Audio BX8 Carbon Active Studio Monitor, Single at Gear4music.com

• Type: 2-way near-field studio reference monitors
    • LF Driver: 8-inch (203mm) Kevlar curved cone with high temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround. Magnetically shielded.
    • HF Driver: 1.25-inch (32mm) magnetically shielded natural silk dome
    • Frequency Response: 38 Hz - 22 kHz
    • Crossover Frequency: 2.2 kHz
    • LF Amplifier Power: 70 W
    • HF Amplifier Power: 60 W
      • Cabinet: Vinyl-laminated high-acoustic-efficiency MDF
      • Dimension (height x width x depth): 15"x 10" x 12" (381mm x 254mm x 305mm)
      • Weight (without packing): 26.4 lbs, 12 kg
    It is worth noting that the M-Audio BX5, the 5" version is also £99, making the 8" version a very good deal.

M-Audio BX5 Carbon Active Studio Monitor, Single at Gear4music.com

Though I won't post a link, the 6.5" version of the M-Audio BX (BX6) is £139 for Gear4Music, again making the 8" version an exceptional bargain.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  15. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Yes definetely a bargain @ 99 pounds. I just looked on the irish version of the site and its 199 euros, which is more like 160 pounds give or take.

I could see someone who has a big room adding a Chromecast audio or a good bluetooth device and a set of stands and having a house shaking system for well south of 300 quid

16. kc5819w

kc5819w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Any updates from those that got these?

17. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    I'm interested too :hiya:

18. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    So I've had a listen to all my new active speakers (the JBL LSR 305, and the Denon DNS305 and DNS308). The LSR305 definitely has the best clarity all round, with very tight bass, clear mid-range and nice treble. A really beautiful sound; one of the best speakers I've ever heard, active or passive. I was genuinely blown away. I also like the look, although the lack of a speaker grill is a bit annoying. They have more adjustments on the back (input level, bass, treble) which is helpful although I've left them all at the "midpoint" setting after some trialing.

The DNS305 and DNS308 are also both really excellent with great clarity and overall sound, and really I'd be happy with any of these as my main speakers. The DNS305/8 are both a shade more bass heavy (warm?) than the LSR305, especially the 308, which really does have some low end kick to it - but you can reduce the bass setting on the back, which I've done and prefer. Both DNS's also go louder than the JBL - but that's not really a consideration for me, as I prefer listening at sensible levels, so they all are louder than I'll ever need (by far). The NDS305/308 also have quality metal speaker grills. so are more practical for families / pets and probably a better look for a sitting room environment.

The DNS305 / JBL are a bit more sensibly sized - the DNS308 is quite a large speaker and it looks very silly on a desk, so you need to use them with a stand and consider placement appropriately.

However, sadly one of the DNS308's has just stopped working! The blue light on the front doesn't come on any more and there is no sound. It's not the fuse, because I swapped it with a known good fuse and nothing. Have not decided what to do about this yet...I could open them up to see if there's an obvious problem, or may just send them back (as I went a bit overboard - I don't need that many speakers anyway).

19. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for this input, so it seems the JBL's do live up to their reputation, I agree the grill of the Denon is a nice touch especially when you have curious kids running around. It's a shame one of the 308's is not working, im assuming their is no red standby light either ? I wouldn't risk opening them up and voiding warranty best to RMA.

20. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I wouldn't open them either. Check all leads, plugs, sockets etc in case something else is faulty, and return for replacement or refund if broken

21. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    No red light - just nothing. It's not the lead as I swapped with the one from the working speaker. Bit of a shame, but these things happen.

22. chulisimo

chulisimo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&H in NY had the 308S on sale for $99 last week (on 18/06/01 + precisely). I ordered a pair. I've been testing them for a couple of days now. I placed them on some old B&W metallic stands and I feel that improved their sound reproduction 20-25%...roughly, IMHO. I also felt that in my particular setting, distance from the wall (≈ 1.5-2.0 ft.), etc. they sound better with the ASS set @ -2dB. I'm still comparing them to my other 2 sets of monitors in our modest home studio: JBL LSR305 (5"), 'the benchmark'? & our Sterling MX8 (8", obviously) that I actually like very much too.

One of the reasons I'm mainly replying here is to thank 'unknown-singh' for explaining how to remove the front grille properly and easily. I confess that I couldn't figure it out right away! After removing the two small screws at the front/bottom of the speaker, I used a (small) paper clip with one end slightly bent to very carefully grab the grille close to the bottom, right over the Denon logo, to pull the now loose grille off only held by the magnets behind, cool.

The other reason I'm posting here (for the very 1st time!) is to...as Jimster99 reported happened with one of his two DN-308S...let you know that one of mine is exhibiting a rather weird issue: When you first power it, without an audio source yet, the tiny indicator light in the front comes on blue, then when I play something through the thing, it simply turns off! The normal sequence is red first, then blue when playing something.

Fortunately, in my case, the speaker still works fine (much better than in Jimster99's case!, certainly). And yes, this was a 100% brand new factory-sealed 308S with, by the way, only 13 #s difference in their serial numbers which surely means they both belong to the very same production batch (in China!), etc. Jimster, what happened with your defective 308S after all? I'm curious to find out.

I moved my 308 pair around, left to right and viceversa, I tried different sound sources, turned them off and back on, checked the light when I pulled the grilles off...you name it. To no avail, of course. There are some obvious quality control problems with some of these Denon, I'm certain. I imagine that the DN-306S and 'the rest of the family' could face these and some other operation issues, hmmm.

In my two samples, most screws were not tight enough either, from several in the back to the Kevlar LF driver and HF dome tweeter ones in the front, etc. I carefully tightened them up a little bit more, 'barely', avoiding any 'over', of course.

I called B&H yesterday and explained what was taking place and they agreed to send me a prepaid postage return label and promised me that as soon as they receive the 'acting-up' 308S they'll send me a (new one), a replacement. Of course I asked them if they still had enough stock at hand (since these series has been long discontinued now in the U.S.) and their rep said that 'they had enough', not to worry.

Now I have to decide whether to send it back 'for such little cause' or...since it's sonically working fine, just remember that I paid < $200 for the pair (no tax and no shipping charges to CA, great!). I'm for sure keep using them as heavily as I can this weekend (it's Friday as I write this), just in case something else comes up, then make up my mind about this matter Monday or Tuesday, repack it if I decide to return/replace it (I have all the materials here, needless to say), and take from there. Or simply keep it!

I already set them up quite well, I used the properly working 'sweet spot' indicator of the other monitor to set the best location position of the 'slighly problematic 308S', etc., so placement is not really and actually a key issue for me, therefore... I fear the possible replacement wouldn't be 100% reliable, that it could be damaged in transit from the other side of the country, or simply that they perhaps run out of the Denon's, you never know!

If anyone in the UK, etc. reads this long talk (sorry!) over the weekend (or afterwards!), please feel free to reply with your thoughts, they'll be always welcome.

Hope you all are somewhat fully enjoying your chosen monitor speakers, DN-308S or 'the like'! Finally, please bear with me 'linguistically', I'm writing in my 3rd language, OK.

Thank you! I hope I somewhat revive this old thread again, he he, for the better.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018