Bargain DENON Studio Monitors - Less Than Half-Price

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by BlueWizard, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
  2. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    There were only 3 pairs in Stock to start with, and they all went within 48 hrs of your post. You deserve commission! :)

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
    Right now they only have ONE of the 8" and ONE of the 6" in stock.

Still wait to hear the impression of the person in the forum who bought them.

Steve/bluewizard

4. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I took delivery of the 8" set late today, (XDP courier stated 3pm to 5pm but turned up at 830pm) will hook them up tomorrow and post my thoughts

5. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Mine not due to arrive for a few days. Look forward to hearing your thoughts too!

6. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Me too. :smashin:

7. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I note the official Denon page has a mistake because in the description section it says these speakers have a 1.25 inch tweeter and then in the specification section it says 1 inch...attention to detail could be better: Denon Professional - DN-308S

The Denon DN-308S is the same speaker as the M Audio BX8 Carbon, just with a changed front fascia. The BX8 has a 1.25 inch tweeter so I am guessing the Denon will too.

Also, just to reiterate my post above, the BX8 can be had new for only £100 per speaker and get mixed-to-good reviews. I am therefore not holding my breath for the Denons (which are identical but claim a real world selling price of £200 per speaker) being amazing value for money at £80 each.

I also like to think I'm smart enough to not fall for someone slapping on a new fascia and selling to a different market at double the price for the exact same product. It may be good business economics but it feels a touch deceptive. Also note that the BX8s are better known and probably have less depreciation (if that's a concern).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    unknown-singh has said he will report back later today! And everyone is very excited to hear his report :)

9. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    sorry for the lateness, was my niece's birthday and celebrations went on longer than i thought, i managed to get them unboxed and setup on the stands for a brief low volume test (due to lateness)

what i can say is they do feel solid and are fairly heavy, looking at the box and manual they both state a 1" HF dome driver, the metal grill is a nice touch strong and don't look like it would bend to easily, there seems to be some speaker foam behind the grill and the surround is a chrome look plastic which is a fingerprint magnet! there is two screws on the bottom of the chrome trim which i believe is holding the grill on but after removing these i cant seem to get the grill off, i am not sure if its just a very very tight fit or if there is some glue involved i did use a bit of force, i imagine it would need to be pried of with something that wont damage the cabinet i will investigate further tomorrow.

anyway sound quality wise i cant really say yet as it was late so was unable to put them up to a decent listening volume, but i will report back tomorrow during the afternoon, from what i did hear they sounded very clear and they are directional, you will need to be in the "sweet spot" triangle position for the best sound, anywhere else in the room and there will be no bottom end.

will be back tomorrow with more.

10. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    IMG_1058.JPG IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG

11. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    as you can see the TV will need to be moved along the wall to accommodate the large speakers and some general tiding up.

12. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yeah I think I read somewhere that magnets are involved no mention in the manual, will have another go tomorrow.

13. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks - very interesting! They do look good.

14. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just realised something I believe it was mentioned earlier on the thread, these are actually made by Inmusic, up until November I used to work for a DJ/PA shop managing their eBay, Amazon, website etc I was based In there shop and had hands on time with products aswell as dealing with supplier reps one of which being Inmusic unfortunately we didn't stock Denon products as the cost was deamed too high for our target audience, anyway they have numerous brands under their belt and they did have very similar looking products but released under different brand names aswell as identical looking products but as a entry/mid level and pro range.

some of our other suppliers did the same, but from experience one range of products was using better components therefore they did sound better or gave out a better performance depending on the product, microphones, midi controllers, speakers etc this justified the price increase.

This may possibly be the case with these, suppliers would rather save money and time keeping the same design but just switching the components, although I can't personally confirm as I do not own the M-Audio versions but maybe someone else can.

Also just realised had I purchased these while still working there i would have got them for cost + 10%. They have been discontinued by Inmusic so they were either introduced at a cost too high for retailers to be interested in or what it does look like weak marketing.

15. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
  16. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ok much later than planned again, have moved the tv along and positioned the speakers at the sides.

I have to say these are LOUD i have only had them up half way from the speakers themselves and not more than half way from the source, (Airplay via Apple TV) they are very clear and the lows are really satisfying no need for a sub, turn them up loud enough and you can feel the punch.

I have them connected directly to the Apple TV via a cheap "Neoteck DAC" I picked up on Amazon as all of my content is via Airplay this made sense for me and allows me to control the volume from iPhone or iTunes directly and I dont need to switch on the TV when just playing music.

I don't really have anything to compare these too as these are my first Active studio style speakers everything else in the house is either Sonos or passive Bose.

Overall I am impressed with them especially for the price, I can't help but think they are worth more than I paid but as I have not heard other studio monitors I can't really comment on that truthly.

I am using these for general music playback and movies which is not necessarily what they are intended for, I have them setup close to the wall which is "enhancing" the bass as i am not into music production and won't be using them for any studio related work my thoughts on these may not help people wanting them for a "flat sound"

If you are wanting these just for music and movie playback then I would recommend them especially at that price, although they are large so bare that in mind.

Also worth mentioning the speakers have a "sweet spot" pinhole led behind the grill (red in standby and blue when receiving a signal) the idea is aslong as you can see the led from your position you are in the "sweet spot"

After stopping playback there will be a noticeable hum (whilst the blue LED is lit) after a few minutes they will switch into standby (red led) and will be completly silent until they receive a signal again.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  17. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Excellent. Glad you like them. That makes them a hell of a bargain.

18. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    it sure does, thanks to BlueWizard and everyone else for your input / comments.

manage to get the grill off, seems i was somewhat overthinking the situation yesterday and a few shots of single malt whiskey did not help. i was thinking the chrome trim was part of the grill so was trying to remove that, but clear headed today i realised it was just the mesh inside which had to come off, after removing the two screws at the bottom you can pull the mesh forward it is held on with magnets and there are two tabs that go into the bottom of the speaker.

i do need to get some shorter cables to tidy up the wiring, but otherwise i am all set.

19. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1100.JPG

20. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    yep they certainly are loud enough and pack a punch.

21. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks, it's great to get this feedback. Would you say the bass is excessively boomy / overpowering or tight, punchy and quick? Did you get a chance to demo any classical music?

I have to say they do look premium - much better than the BX equivalent.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  22. kc5819w

kc5819w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Note that there is an acoustic space switch on the back where you can notch down the bass by 2 or 4db if it's too much. The damping factor of an active speaker is very high so the bass and transients should be good.

23. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi I would say the bass is quite boomy depending on the type of music your listening too, not overpowering but you would think there is a subwoofer hiding somewhere, although again mine are very close to the wall so it is enhancing the effect placing them at different angles will change the sound you are getting so something to play around with.

I did listen to a few London symphony orchestra songs and they came across nicely maybe slighty over bassy when turned up but again this is most likely down to the placement.

24. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Have you tried altering the bass switch at the rear? Down by 2DB could be useful as they are so close together.

25. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Not yet will give it a try later, I don't really listen to much classical music but the genres I do listen to sound satisfying to me.

26. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Just a thought. Sometimes even a tad too much bass can interfere with the accurate sounding delivery of the midrange, making it a little blurry.

It's not really obvious until removed.

27. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Makes sense will experiment later today to see how the difference comes across.

28. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
  29. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks for the feedback. It might well be a placement issue, based on the photo.

30. unknown-singh

unknown-singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ok so after playing around with the switch on the back from the default Flat to -2DB and then -4DB and listening to the same selection of songs on each, I have to say at -4DB I'm really happy the bass is toned down especially at lower volumes and everything just sounds so much better the audio was clear to start with but now everything seems in perfect balance if that makes sense.

Thank for the suggestion [emoji106]