Bargain Expired DENON Studio Monitors - Less Than Half-Price

... anyway I have ordered the Denon package with the stands £198 with free delivery, I'm sure I'll be happy.

Thanks

Be sure to come back and let us know what you think. That would be very helpful to the discussion.

I confess a twinge of jealousy.

Steve/bluewizard

Sure after I have had a play with them il post up my thoughts. never seen a product like this with no reviews before.

Cheers for that. I'm very interested in hearing your impressions.

Will do, hopefully they are worth it.

Whether they are worth £400/pr is debatable, but it doesn't take much to make them worth £198/pr with heavy duty stands and free shipping.

Eagerly awaiting your report.

Steve/bluewizard

Yeah I wouldn't have considered them at the full retail price, they seem a bargain at £198 with stands whatever way you look at them, now just the wait until they arrive!

Considering the best that can be had for that price is say a pair of Wharfedales 9.0s or possible 9.1s and a CA amp, I think you'll be happy with them at a guess.

And I'm very fond of the inexpensive CA amps and the cheaper Wharfedales.

As an aside, as the CA Topaz 1 and Wharfedales 9.0s come in at £120 at Richer Sounds I can't imagine why people buy speaker docks and the like?

I bought exactly that combination for my 7year old nephew when I was very poor. In his room it's really something else. Either side of his tv his games explode with zest. Even cartoons sound cool. He loves them. :clap:

Considering the best that can be had for that price is say a pair of Wharfedales 9.0s or possible 9.1s and a CA amp, I think you'll be happy with them at a guess.

And I'm very fond of the inexpensive CA amps and the cheaper Wharfedales.

As an aside, as the CA Topaz 1 and Wharfedales 9.0s come in at £120 at Richer Sounds I can't imagine why people buy speaker docks and the like?

I bought exactly that combination for my 7year old nephew when I was very poor. In his room it's really something else. Either side of his tv his games explode with zest. Even cartoons sound cool. He loves them. :clap:

I'm sure he does at 7 years old I don't think I even had headphones haha. I had a old CA amp running a pair of Bose 301's in the loft for 9 years they really are great value amps I'm sure it would have kept on running but I ended up replacing it with the Sonos connect Amp.

I wonder if these will compete with the JBL LSR305? Which also get great reviews at a similar price.

I wonder if these will compete with the JBL LSR305? Which also get great reviews at a similar price.
They have bigger woofers, especially the 8 version. The jbls have tons of rave reviews though.

Have pulled the trigger on a pair of the 6" and a pair of the 8". Curious to see how they sound!

Thanks to kc5819w and bluewizard for their feedback. I'm tempted to also order a pair of the JBL LSR305s for a home comparison, despite their 5" woofer, as the bass response seems to be very similar and they do get good reviews.

I'll be very interested to hear what these are like. Keep us updated.

Can anyone suggest where the cheapest place to buy a pair of the JBL speakers in the UK is at the moment? G4M has them for £260 / pair but on youtube people say you could get them last year for £200 / pair. Maybe the GPB:USD exchange rate collapse has altered the price?

EDIT - found them for £225 here. Maybe I'll ask G4M to do a price match. JBL LSR305 Professional Studio Monitors (Pair) | DV247

Can anyone suggest where the cheapest place to buy a pair of the JBL speakers in the UK is at the moment? G4M has them for £260 / pair but on youtube people say you could get them last year for £200 / pair. Maybe the GPB:USD exchange rate collapse has altered the price?

EDIT - found them for £225 here. Maybe I'll ask G4M to do a price match. JBL LSR305 Professional Studio Monitors (Pair) | DV247
They've fluctuated in price since coming out around £100 each. Their design (especially the electronics) are rather advanced so they are great value.

The description of the Denon is not entirely reassuring...: "The two-way DN-308S is a premium bi-amplified loudspeaker, designed to support presentations, meetings and critical multimedia playback".

I want these for music & movies, not meetings...!

The description of the Denon is not entirely reassuring...: "The two-way DN-308S is a premium bi-amplified loudspeaker, designed to support presentations, meetings and critical multimedia playback".

I want these for music & movies, not meetings...!

Mmm yeah, it seems like they are marketing them as a professional PA speaker, maybe that why there are no reviews around, anyway at 8" and 130WRMS I'm pretty sure they will be really good with music and movies. Will find out soon.

It's simply not possible to design a speaker 'for meetings'.

A speaker is a speaker...

I can understand a reviewer stating that they are only 'good enough' for presentations. Perhaps. But it sounds like an idiot sales man spiel.

It seems hugely unlikely to me that Denon could get anything so wrong that it's actually crap. They've been around a bit.

Even if they are just 'average' £400 active speakers they'll still be pretty good. And at half price it's hard to see how they could be anything other than a bargain.

Certainly I hope so :thumbsup:

It's simply not possible to design a speaker 'for meetings'.

As you say, might this not be a discreet way of saying "they're OK, but only good enough for presentations"? Damning with faint praise?

Sound quality doesn't really matter for work meetings, only volume. We use a mega expensive audio system at work for presentations and video conferences, and the speakers sometimes sound like a bag of rusty nails being dragged uphill by an asthmatic donkey. But colleagues only get upset if it breaks.

Last edited:
I'll say one thing, if they are a good speaker, that metal grille in front makes them way more user friendly for a family home that the many monitors that come without. I know recently I was thinking of active for my main system but did not go that way, one of the deciding factors was how curious my baby boy is and I know he'd put a finger through a woofer at some stage

I just noticed that.

It looks like a bullet proof grille. Even toddlers would struggle to destroy that despite their mad skills.

Denon Pro are owned by the same company that also owns M-Audio so I guess they might be similar. Amp panel and drivers look very prevous gen M-audio BX series.

Denon Pro are owned by the same company that also owns M-Audio so I guess they might be similar. Amp panel and drivers look very prevous gen M-audio BX series.

Good spot. On further inspection, the Denon DN-308 appears to be a near-clone of the M-Audio BX8 Carbon. The specs pages are also almost word-for-word copies:

Denon Professional - DN-308S
M-Audio

Similarities:
  • Rear panels: identical layout, port size and placement and controls/inputs etc
  • Dimensions: both 305 x 254 x 381 mm
  • Amplifers: both A/B, with 70W woofer amp and 60w tweeter amp
  • Connectors: both: 1 x XLR balanced input connector and 1 x TRS balanced/unbalanced input connector
  • Crossover: both 2.2khz
  • Frequency response: both 38Hz to 22kHz
  • Woofer: both 8-inch (203 mm) Kevlar curved cone with high temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround, magnetically shielded
  • Tweeter: both 1.25" tweeter
  • Polarity: both Positive signal at + input produce outward LF cone displacement
  • Input Impedance: both 20 Ka balanced, 10 Ka unbalanced
  • Protection: Both have RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turnon/off transient, subsonic filter, external mains fuse.
  • I'm stopping here
Differences:
  • Weight: 10.7kg (DN-308) vs 11.97kg (BX8)
BX8 Carbon gets good reviews but is quoted as lacking mid range. Given the BX8 carbon can be had for <£200 a pair would I be correct in thinking the denon @ £180/pair is not such an amazing bargain, in fact just the regular price (and also an overall lighter speaker)?

If so, on this basis I will likely cancel :(

Last edited:
Reviews are useful, but not definitive.

Also the Denon appears to have a noticeably different waveguide so they won't sound the same as the M-Audios. Though it seems there'll be similarities possible.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom