Bargain Expired DENON Studio Monitors - Less Than Half-Price

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed before in several threads, but it is probably worth making the forum at large aware of it.

For someone looking for a REAL BARGAIN on Studio Monitor GEAR4MUSIC has the Denon on sale for Less than Half-Price.

The Denon come in both 6" and 8" Models, and if you buy the 8" in a package deal you can save even more -

Denon Active Studio Monitors | Gear4music

Denon DN-308 Reference Monitors (PAIR) - £179 -

Denon DN-308 S 8'' Active Reference Monitors, Pair at Gear4music.com

This seem like an exceptional bargain -

Denon DN-308 with Steel Floor Stand £198/set -

Denon DN-308 S Studio Monitors with Stands, Pair at Gear4music.com

Not sure why the discounts are so deep, but hard to say No to such a bargain.

Steve/bluewizard

Just to add i emailed them before buying a set of active monitors and there is a no quibble 30 day money back offer if you buy something not suitable, I'd double check this works with offers but it seems a site policy

They may not be the greatest in the world, but were else can you get an 8" Studio Monitor for as low as £179/pr?

Features
  • 8'' woven Kevlar low frequency driver
  • 1'' natural silk dome high frequency driver
  • Three-position Acoustic Space control
  • Class A/B tri-amplification: 130 watts RMS power output
  • 4 VESA mounting points on the bottom and M10 rigging port
Specifications
  • Type: 2-Way Near-Field Studio Reference Monitors
  • Frequency Response: 38Hz - 22kHz
  • LF Driver: 8'' Kevlar Curved Cone
    • High Temperature Voice Coil
    • Damped Rubber Surround
    • Magnetically Shielded
  • HF Driver: 1'' Natural Silk Dome Tweeter
    • Magnetically Shielded
  • Crossover Frequency: 2.2kHz
  • Amplifier Power Output: 130 Watts RMS
    • Low-Frequency Amplifier Power: 70 Watts
    • High-Frequency Amplifier Power: 60 Watts
  • Input Connectors:
    • 1 x XLR Balanced
    • 1 x TRS Balanced/Unbalanced
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 100dB (Typical A-Weighted)
  • Input Impedance: 20 KOhms Balanced, 10 KOhms Unbalanced
  • Cabinet: Vinyl-Laminated High-Acoustic Efficiency MDF with Metal Grille and Plastic Front Baffle
  • Mounting Options: 4 VESA Mounts, M10 Rigging Port
  • Dimensions: 381mm x 254mm x 305mm (15'' x 10'' x 12'')
  • Weight: 10.7kg (23.6lbs)
Here are the 6" Versions of these speakers -

Features
  • 6.5'' woven Kevlar low frequency driver
  • 1'' natural silk dome high frequency driver
  • Three-position Acoustic Space control
  • Class A/B tri-amplification: 100 watts RMS power output
  • 4 VESA mounting points on the bottom and M10 rigging port
Specifications
  • Type: 2-Way Nearfield Studio Reference Monitors
  • Frequency Response: 45Hz - 22kHz
  • LF Driver: 6.5'' Kevlar Curved Cone
    • High Temperature Voice Coil
    • Damped Rubber Surround
    • Magnetically Shielded
  • HF Driver: 1'' Natural Silk Dome Tweeter
    • Magnetically Shielded
  • Crossover Frequency: 3kHz
  • Amplifier Power Output: 100 Watts RMS
    • Low-Frequency Amplifier Power: 60 Watts
    • High-Frequency Amplifier Power: 40 Watts
  • Input Connectors:
    • 1 x XLR Balanced
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 100dB (Typical A-Weighted)
  • Input Impedance: 20 KOhms Balanced, 10 KOhms Unbalanced
  • Cabinet: Vinyl-Laminated High-Acoustic Efficiency MDF with Metal Grille and Plastic Front Baffle
  • Mounting Options: 4 VESA Mounts, M10 Rigging Port
  • Dimensions: 318mm x 213mm x 249mm (12.5'' x 8.4'' x 9.8'')
  • Weight: 7.6kg (16.8lbs)
Either one looks pretty good.

Steve/bluewizard​

They probably aren't a 'studio monitor' to the extent that anybody would ever think they could be used in a amateur studio, and are probably not selling because they are rubbish.

They probably aren't a 'studio monitor' to the extent that anybody would ever think they could be used in a amateur studio, and are probably not selling because they are rubbish.

Bit Harsh methinks!

Possible
However denon usually are respectable. This doesn't seem their usual market, so possible a good product but not marketed well.
But could be rubbish

I'm tempted. How would you connect these to something? I don't recognise the connectors on the back. I presume there'd be no point having an amp? Would these be good for listening to music at home? Sorry if stupid questions.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's quite easy and depends on what you want to plug in. Many devices have a headphone jack, so you would use a cable like this UGREEN 6.3mm Mono 1/4 inch Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Jack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Or if you want RCA HosaTech CPR-203 3m Dual 1/4 inch TS to Dual RCA Stereo Interconnect Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

And yes, no amplifier.

Thanks! I use a lot of different inputs so that might actually be a bit of a pain. Could I run through some kind of "pre out" from an AV box? And would these be good for movies + music?

Having googled, I can find literally not a single review of these speakers. Very strange! Never seen that before.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks! I use a lot of different inputs so that might actually be a bit of a pain. Could I run through some kind of "pre out" from an AV box? And would these be good for movies + music?

Having googled, I can find literally not a single review of these speakers. Very strange! Never seen that before.
Yes you can run them off preouts. The review situation is odd, but the price of them is incredible.

They should be good for movies/music. I'm using some higher end actives and wouldnt go back to using separate amp-speaker systems. I dont know what you can expect from these speakers though. What model are you interested in - the 8 or 6?

Just to add i emailed them before buying a set of active monitors and there is a no quibble 30 day money back offer if you buy something not suitable, I'd double check this works with offers but it seems a site policy

A 30 day return policy is generally required for distance selling.

Last edited:
Yes you can run them off preouts. The review situation is odd, but the price of them is incredible.

They should be good for movies/music. I'm using some higher end actives and wouldnt go back to using separate amp-speaker systems. I dont know what you can expect from these speakers though. What model are you interested in - the 8 or 6?

The 8 I think...

Last edited:
...But could be rubbish
Probably not rubbish, but at £200 each, they might fall short, but at £179/pr, you can only expect just so much. What else of note can you get for tha amount of money?

True they may not be true studio monitors, but they are not going to be used in a recording studio, they are going to be used at home, and again ... what else can you get for that amount of money?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

That makes no sense without at least a notion of why they might be 'rubbish'.

And how do you know they are not selling?

And at that price, as Steve says, they are likely to be a splendid bargain.

Denon are not known for a lack of experience or skill.

That makes no sense without at least a notion of why they might be 'rubbish'.

And how do you know they are not selling?

And at that price, as Steve says, they are likely to be a splendid bargain.

Denon are not known for a lack of experience or skill.
Pipercub thinks anything that cost less than his "expensive kit" is rubbish as he constantly reminds us, its starting to get very tedious.

I'll say one thing, if they are a good speaker, that metal grille in front makes them way more user friendly for a family home that the many monitors that come without. I know recently I was thinking of active for my main system but did not go that way, one of the deciding factors was how curious my baby boy is and I know he'd put a finger through a woofer at some stage

I'm interested in the Denon 8" to connect to my bedroom TV and listening to music via Airplay on my Apple TV, was just wondering how would I control the volume when watching TV?

I'm interested in the Denon 8" to connect to my bedroom TV and listening to music via Airplay on my Apple TV, was just wondering how would I control the volume when watching TV?
Is there a headphone jack on the TV? If so you can plug them in there and the tv audio will go to them instead of the tvs own speakers. You would be able to control volume with the tv remote. Bear in mind each speaker will need power and the 8" ones will be quite substantial in size.

Is there a headphone jack on the TV? If so you can plug them in there and the tv audio will go to them instead of the tvs own speakers. You would be able to control volume with the tv remote. Bear in mind each speaker will need power and the 8" ones will be quite substantial in size.

Hi yes it does, that's great thanks, yes they are quite big but as they would be mainly used for music Im hoping they would be a good choice especially at that price.

I'm tempted. How would you connect these to something? I don't recognise the connectors on the back. I presume there'd be no point having an amp? Would these be good for listening to music at home? Sorry if stupid questions.

No need to convert from single ended to Balance (XLR) connectors.

There are TWO connectors, but there are THREE connection possibilities.

- XLR (3-pin) Balanced line
- 1/4" TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) Balance Lines.
- 1/4" TS (tip, sleeve) UNbalanced line

• Input Connectors:
    • 1 x XLR Balanced
UGREEN RCA Audio Cable, 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 2 RCA: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Cable Mountain 3m Gold Plated 3.5mm Jack to 2x Phono: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Although, that said, there is nothing wrong with these cables, they will accomplish the same thing.

UGREEN 6.3mm Mono 1/4 inch Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Jack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Actually, the UGREEN is probable the best and least complicated. Though the 3.5mm to RCA is a more common and universal cable.

Hosa CYX-403M 3.5mm TRS - XLR3M 3m Cable at Gear4music.com

Just make sure the cable is long enough to meet your needs. If you go for something like the HOSA XLR cable (which is correct) make sure the XLR connector are the right gender.

The speakers have Female XLR (sockets), so the cables have to have Male XLR (pins). The linked HOSA cable has the correct XLR, but if you get the cable from another source, the cable XLR connectors have to be male.

And again, make sure the cable is long enough for your needs.

Steve/bluewizard​

Last edited:
No need to convert from single ended to Balance (XLR) connectors.

There are TWO connectors, but there are THREE connection possibilities.

- XLR (3-pin) Balanced line
- 1/4" TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) Balance Lines.
- 1/4" TS (tip, sleeve) UNbalanced line

• Input Connectors:
    • 1 x XLR Balanced
UGREEN RCA Audio Cable, 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 2 RCA: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain-Plated-3-5mm-Phono/dp/B001KEVSX

Although, that said, there is nothing wrong with these cables, they will accomplish the same thing.

UGREEN 6.3mm Mono 1/4 inch Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Jack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Actually, the UGREEN is probable the best and least complicated.

Hosa CYX-403M 3.5mm TRS - XLR3M 3m Cable at Gear4music.com

Just make sure the cable is long enough to meet your needs. If you go for something like the HOSA XLR cable (which is correct) make sure the XLR connector are the right gender.

The speakers have Female XLR (sockets), so the cables have to have Male XLR (pins). The linked HOSA cable has the correct XLR, but if you get the cable from another source, the cable XLR connectors have to be male.

And again, make sure the cable is long enough for your needs.

Steve/bluewizard​

Great thanks I'll check out the other options, the UGREEN cable does look nice.

One additional note - if you buy adapter cables, make sure the ends can be split out wide enough to reach the speakers. Some cables you can spread apart along their entire length.

Others merge from two cables into one very close to the end, these can not be separated sufficiently to reach both speakers.

Searching Amazon-UK or Google-UK Shopping should bring up many variations of a given cable to choose from.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
One additional note - if you buy adapter cable, make sure the ends can be split out wide enough to reach the speakers. Some cables you can spread apart along their entire length.

Others merge from two cables into one very close to the end, these can not be separated sufficiently to reach both speakers.

Searching Amazon or Google-UK Shopping should bring up many variations of a given cable to choose from.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi yeah, I remeber I actually have a few RCA to 3.5mm jack cables from when I used to have a surround system in the bedroom and they are the split type so probably just go with the adapters, anyway I have ordered the Dennon package with the stands £198 with free delivery, I'm sure I'll be happy.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom