1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon speaker stands cheap alternative

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by OldSkoO1, Dec 13, 2004.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all

Would like to share my findings with my quest to find some decent alternatives to mount the Denon speakers that come with the 500SD system.

My problem, my mrs wouldnt let me use wall brackets and i didnt like the idea of trying to conseal the cable in any other way than under the plaster. Therefore speaker stands were my only option.

These home cinema speakers with the 500SD are a pain as they mount underneath! :rolleyes:

Therefore its the offical Denon ones for about 55quid for 2. A bit pricey for someone whos spent a lot of the system and good scarts right when he's supposed to be buying pressies for the family, :suicide:

The conclusion? Well Ikea have the perfect solution. These attatch perfectly the undeneath of the speaker without any overlapping and they look nice too and are extremly cheap. I prefer them to a lot of the stands i saw in comet/currys. The only downside is, the hole for the screw is .5mm to small and therefore velcro is the only option. You get the base velcro with the stand itself and i bought the other velcro addesive half from b&q for 65p as i only needed 40cm which covers all 4 surround speakers with 2 strips for the attachment. The speakers attatch fine and wont come off without some forced pulling. 4 decent stands for £40 aint bad. The line up nice but the rear speakers are a bit of a pain being so low if your picky about the perfect speaker alignment and setup. Its a decent compromise when my mrs nearly didnt let me have the system in the first place plus my room is a perfect box smallish room with wooden floors so the sound deflection isnt too bad.

Anyways...

Hope this was useful to someone!

2. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Oldskoo,

Been looking for some speaker stands for the denon a while now. Will try and find those stands at Ikea today.

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Comet also sell a pair of speaker stands by Alphanson which are designed for the Denon, their code is ss30 and cost £40.

4. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Excellent, let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

5. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, just for your info, I purchased the 'official Denon stands', thay are expensive for what they are. Due to the weight of the speakers if you extend them to the full hight the stands are very unstable and tend to lean slightly!

Also these are Alphasn SS30 stands with a different attachment for the Denon speakers, if you shop around you can find the ss30 stands for £25-£30 (but no good as dont come with correct attachment) so you basically are paying £20 extra for the denon attachements.

6. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try the "AVF" stands from Maplins £15.00 a pair height ajustable and you can screw your speaker to the bottom of them with the screws provide.

7. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't find the stands at Ikea the other day. So many bloody people at brent cross! Anyway might look at the maplin ones now.

8. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Does anyone have a link to these Denon specific Alphason SS30 stands? I can't see them on the Comet website.

Cheers :thumbsup:

9. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  11. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Enter avland in Google, they should come up.

12. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Shame you couldnt get the speaker stands from Ikea. Im definatly glad i got them. See here

[​IMG]

13. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes,
    I agree with you oldsko01, them Ikea stands do look good. Even better than my Maplin stands "from the picture at least".

14. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Still not got any stands for my speakers yet. Went to Maplin Watford and they don't sell them. Does anyone have any other stands where the denon speakers will fit?

15. KevSull

KevSull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    kevSull,
    If your buying the silver ones?, open them in the shop to look at the silver finish. The silver ones I looked at have like a hammeright finish but the black have a total black rough finish to them.would of rather got the silver but ended up getting the black for the quality of the finish.

17. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After suggestions in this forum, I got a pair of the silver Maplin ones from Reading. Had a look at them in the shop...true, they hv a speckled finish in alternate bands around the bars. But took them home to see how they appear in the room....they look great...the speckles are hardly visible. Cant even tell there are any speckles. Its a great solid stand at the price.

18. KevSull

KevSull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks owey, just got back from Maplins. Took a look in the shop, and I see what you mean about the silver finish! Hammerite-o-mundo :D

Settled on the black stands, I can always prep and paint with a car spray to achieve a more suitable finish.

19. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just what iv'e been thinking of doing, might let you have a go first though to see how you get on :rolleyes: .

20. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received my DHT550SD so I'm after speaker stands now.Are the ones at Maplins a secure fit or is it an attatch it and hope it stays there situation? :laugh:

21. andy_d

andy_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a pair of these on the recommendations in this thread. For the price, they're superb. They come with a fairly generous selection of mounting options, including screws that are the right size for the Denon speakers. I don't mind the finish myself, so the only slight downside is that the mounting plate on the top is circular, and has a diameter slightly larger than the width of the speakers, so there is a small overlap each side (9mm at the widest point) If I get around to it, I might trim them down to size.

All in all, i'd say they're an great solution for the DHT550SD if you're looking for stands at a sensible price.

22. I A MacLauchlan

I A MacLauchlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting frustrated because I couldn't buy the Denon stands for the 500 system / SS30 speaker I contacted Alphason directly, www.alphasondesign.com and I received the following day adaptor plates for their SS30 stand completely free and no postage, excellent service.

So my stands cost me lessthan £30 a pair!