1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Sound connectivity options - please help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kismet110, Feb 28, 2005.

1. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    All

Hope someone can help me with what is hopefully a straightforward question :lease:

Currently I have a a Hitachi PD42500 plasma screen, Pace NTL Digibox and old Pio DV717 DVD.

They're both connected to the single RGB SCART using a switch box. What I'd like to do is semi-retire the 717 to the bedroom, purchase a Denon 500/550 SD all-in one system and connect o the plasma using component cables.

So far so good. Howerver I'd like to utilise it's sound capabilities not only when viewing DVD's but also when watching stuff via NTL, at the same time doing away completely (if possible) with the effective (but ugly) Hitachi speakers that were supplied with the plasma.

Is this possible? Do the connectivity options exist Pace --> Denon to allow me to do this? If so, what cables would I need? I assume it would require the Denon to be on all the time otherwise no sound available but that's not a problem.

Hope someone can help, at work at the moment so not sure what connectivity options are on the DigiBox (DITV 1000?) and having not yet purchased the Denon even less known on that front. :rolleyes:

Regards

ALI

2. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Depends on your NTL Pace Digibox. I have one of the older ones which has audio output (L&R) and have connected to the Video 2 sockets on the Denon 500. However, I understand that some of the newer Pace NTL Digiboxes don't have audio out and this might be a problem. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully your digibox has audio outputs? :rolleyes:

Cheers

3. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hi Manster

Thanks for the prompt response, not sure if my Pace box does have audio outputs, will check and let you know. The box was installed about 6 months ago so new-ish, am assuming that if it does it'll be a couple of (red and yellow) connectors?

Thanks again!

ALI

4. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Connect the Plasma audio out's to the Denon video1 audio in's. Anything on the TV will now push sound to the Denon.

David

5. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hi David

Forgive my ignorance but does this mean that even if I don't have the required outputs on my PACE DigiBox I can still get the desired effect (NTL stuff outputting sound only via the Denon)? Is this a 'better' method of doing it than DigiBox audio out --> Denon audio in (assuming that's do-able with the version of PACE box I have?).

Lastly, what leads would I require and does this mean I can disconnect those horrible Hitachi speakers and hide them somewhere?

Thanks again!

ALI

6. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Yes - whatever is showing on the TV will come out through the Denons speakers. Should be no/ver little difference compared to connecting the pace directly. Audio cables (red and white) should be all you need.

7. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hi Conn

Thanks for the info, now all I need to do is buy the Denon and a couple of leads and I'm sorted!

ALI

8. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you go for the 500 do not forget to change the input mod on video 1 or 2 when using analogue connections to analogue.

9. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Thanks for the tip Eddy Boy, will remember to do that; assume it's a fairly simple change?

Manster - Checked the back of the PACE box last night, it does have audio outputs so can connect directly from it --> Denon, which may be slighty neater than running the cables out of the plasma.

Thanks all for your help, I'm sure I'll have more to ask come setup time...

ALI