Denon Setup Menu Issue

Alfa Male

Standard Member
Hello,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Searched forum but no luck....

I'm trying to setup a Denon AVR X2300W receiver with a Samsung TV. I've connected the HDMI ARC input on the TV to monitor 1 ARC output on the receiver with a known good cable. I'm not getting any on screen setup menu though and the TV says there's no signal from the port in question.

Receiver powers up fine, is secondhand. Any help much appreciated!

Pulse1

Is your Samsung tv 4k or hd? You could do a factory reset with the Denon by with the Denon in Stanby mode press the power button and the Tuner preset + and the Tuner preset - buttons all at the same time on the receiver itself and not on the remote. Hopefully then you should at least get the Denon menu. The factory reset is the last option but maybe needed.

Upvote 0

Alfa Male

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. TV is a Samsung UE40MU6120K 4D and ultra HD (whatever that means).

I've done done a factory reset as suggested but no difference at all. I've tried other HDMI ports on the TV as well but they all say they're not receiving a signal from the Denon. I've followed the quick start instructions but nothing appears on the TV screen at all from the receiver. TV works fine otherwise and HDMI ports work if I connect a DVD player direct.

I'm loathe to think the Denon could be a duffer as it seems to power up fine, but perhaps it has a fault.

Upvote 0

DavidT

Have you selected the hdmi input on the tv that the receiver is connected too? When you press setup do you get the setup info on the avr front display?

Upvote 0

Alfa Male

Standard Member
Have you selected the hdmi input on the tv that the receiver is connected too? When you press setup do you get the setup info on the avr front display?
Yes, TV ARC is HDMI 3 and it recognises that something is connected to that port, just that it's not receiving anything from it.

Yes I get the front panel menu on the AVR and have been able to setup the Wi-Fi, and it's also displayed 'setup on TV' but the TV still doesn't display anything.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
The AV has more than likely set itself to the ARC source and while set to this, the AV receiver's menus cannot be sent to the TV. Press and select another source even if nothing is connected to the associated input for that source and you should then see the Denon backdrop on the TV.

The initial behaviour is caused by ARC's reliance upon HDMI CEC and this results in the AV being automatically set to the ARC source by the TV. ARC only conveys audio from a TV out to an AV receiver and while in use, no video is conveyed from the AV receiver to the TV.

Upvote 0

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm loathe to think the Denon could be a duffer as it seems to power up fine, but perhaps it has a fault

I think you may be right TBH

It's still worth persevering, I'd try different cables, possibly a different TV if you can.

Upvote 0

Alfa Male

Standard Member
It's working!

A fresh day with a cup-of-tea and went through the initial setup methodically with a mind to the helpful suggestions. No difference..... Just to be sure I swapped to a different HDMI cable and the setup menu popped straight up on the TV. Swapped back to the old one and it also worked, but when I wiggled the cable about it lost signal - straight in the bin!

Thanks again for all your help. I'm much relieved and looking forward to getting it all working.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom