Denon S760H vs Marantz NR1711

InitialPineapple

Novice Member
Reaction score
For the last 3 months, I have been trying to find a Denon X1700H AVR to power my 5.1.2 living room setup. Unfortunately, supply is a huge issue in my country and the local agent has advised me that they still have no clue of when it will be back in stock (most likely not any time soon). Importing it from abroad is also quite an issue due to shipping costs.

The two other options that are available are the Denon S760H (€690, available next month) and the Marantz NR1711(€800, available now). While I have been reading up reviews and comparing the two, I am still at a bit of a loss with regards to which one I should get. The S760H seems to be exactly the same as the X1700H, save for having MultiEQ instead of MultiEQ XT). It also has much better HDMI 2.1 support (which I will not be using at the moment since I own a Q90T with a separate eARC/HDMI2.1 port), and also seems to have all the network functionality of the X1700H.

On the other hand, having less power on the NR1711 does not bother me, as my home theatre is setup in a living room with shared walls, and as such I will most probably never reach the power limit of either AVR. The biggest upside is of course the much slimmer profile, however I'm struggling to find anything else that makes the NR1711 a better AVR over the S760H. From my understanding it also has MultiEQ instead of MultiEQ XT, and I believe the network functionality as well as any other features should be identical to the Denon.

Is there something I am missing about the NR1711, or should I just wait a month and go with the S760H? The S760H does seem to be a bit marked up (only €10 less than the X1700H!), however since it's a complete guess of when the X1700H will be back in stock, it does not look like I have a lot of other options.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
The 2 AV receivers aren't really comparable. THe Marantz model is a slimline model and its amplification power will be less than that of the DEnon model because of the size differences. THe slimline model cannot accomodate the same PSU and larger amplification modules associated with the larger AVR.

You'd also be paying a premium for the Marantz slimline model because of the "lifestyle" orientated design and the Marantz name.

The Marant is only really an option for a small second room and I'd not advise using it in a main room home theatre setup. It isn't simply a matter of attaibing louder volumes and more a maater of the headroom being lower relative to quieter audio.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom