Denon S760H HDMI input not detected as 4K/60 HDR

hoary2001

Novice Member
I have a Roku Ultra connected to one of the three Denon 4K HDMI inputs. These support 4K/60Hz HDR10. However, the Roku fails on the detection and falls back to 1080p 60Hz HDR10 instead. If I take the Roku HDMI direct to my TV (Samsung UHD) the Roku now detects the display as desired.

I saw a similar problem posted about Apple TV and Denon recommended using 6Gbps HDMI cables which I'm already using (Monoprice Certified Premium, [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 36AWG, YUV, 4:4:4 - Ultra Slim Series).

Based on the above, my immediate thought is that it's an AVR problem, especially since this worked on my previous Yamaha (that had it's own problems with bluetooth and wireless and was replaced with this Denon).

UPDATE: Found the issue. Moved the AVR to TV HDMI input to "CBL/SAT" and now i get the full resolution. Apparently, the HDMI(ARC) input doesn't support it or is broken.

Last edited:

mdpalacio

Novice Member
I have a Roku Ultra connected to one of the three Denon 4K HDMI inputs. These support 4K/60Hz HDR10. However, the Roku fails on the detection and falls back to 1080p 60Hz HDR10 instead. If I take the Roku HDMI direct to my TV (Samsung UHD) the Roku now detects the display as desired.

I saw a similar problem posted about Apple TV and Denon recommended using 6Gbps HDMI cables which I'm already using (Monoprice Certified Premium, [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 36AWG, YUV, 4:4:4 - Ultra Slim Series).

Based on the above, my immediate thought is that it's an AVR problem, especially since this worked on my previous Yamaha (that had it's own problems with bluetooth and wireless and was replaced with this Denon).

UPDATE: Found the issue. Moved the AVR to TV HDMI input to "CBL/SAT" and now i get the full resolution. Apparently, the HDMI(ARC) input doesn't support it or is broken.
I am having the same issue with my Apple 4k TV. I have the proper high speed cables. When I ran it directly to my TV, it easily recognized Chroma 4:4:4 and Dolby Vision. But now I have it going to my Denon S-760H HDMI input “MEDIA PLAYER”, and it doesn’t read Dolby Vision nor the Chroma 4:4:4. The highest it goes is 4K SDR 60Hz and Chroma 4:2:0.
Before you switched it to “CBL/SAT” HDMI input, did you have your Roku going into “MEDIA PLAYER” input?

Upvote 0

Jay53

The inputs by default are set to standard but as you've found only supports what is required to run 4k SDR. I.e. 8bit yuv 4:2:0

You can set them to Enhanced which will be enough to support all hdmi 2.0b resolutions i.e. up to 4k 10bit 4:2:2 or 4k 8bit 4:4:4.

Or 8k enhanced which allows FRL resolutions

I appreciate this appears to relate to the 8k ports but it's possible it also affects the 4k ports too?

If it doesn't (might have a play later with my x1700 as the same input arrangement) then it's possible that you may need to use the 8k ports as your media player whilst not FRL (hdmi 2.1) does allow modes that are higher than required for film/TV encoded content which uses at most 4k/60 10bit yuv4:2:0 and the ports are limited to that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mdpalacio

Novice Member
The inputs by default are set to standard but as you've found only supports what is required to run 4k SDR. I.e. 8bit yuv 4:2:0

You can set them to Enhanced which will be enough to support all hdmi 2.0b resolutions i.e. up to 4k 10bit 4:2:2 or 4k 8bit 4:4:4.

Or 8k enhanced which allows FRL resolutions

I appreciate this appears to relate to the 8k ports but it's possible it also affects the 4k ports too?

If it doesn't (might have a play later with my x1700 as the same input arrangement) then it's possible that you may need to use the 8k ports as your media player whilst not FRL (hdmi 2.1) does allow modes that are higher than required for film/TV encoded content which uses at most 4k/60 10bit yuv4:2:0 and the ports are limited to that?
When you say to set them to “Enhanced”, are you talking about the Settings on the TV or the Denon AVR or both?
I do have 3 inputs on my Denon S-760H that say “8K” for “GAME”, “AUX1”, and “AUX2”.
I will hook it to one of these 8K inputs and see what happens. Hopefully it will work fine. I will give an update. Thank you 🙏🏻

Upvote 0

Jay53

Ok, had a play using my xbox series X

I can confirm that the 4k/8k signal format found under AVR settings -> video affects ALL the ports not just the 8k ones :)

Set to standard Xbox reports in 4k port labeled media
TV supports 4k 10bit at 24hz (this will be 4k/24 10bit yuv 4:2:0 as that's what Blu-ray films are mastered in)
TV does not support 4k 10bit at 50/60hz (so no support for 4k HDR TV shows)
Pressing info button on x1700 remote shows Xbox home screen is running 4k/60 8bit yuv 4:2:0

To me this reads the ports are in hdmi 1.4 mode when 4k/8k set to standard

Set to enhanced Xbox reports in 4k port labeled media
TV supports 4k 10bit at 24hz
TV does supports 4k 10bit at 50/60hz (support for 4k HDR TV shows)
Pressing info button on x1700 remote shows Xbox home screen is running 4k/60 8bit RGB. Which is what your Roku also supports

To me this reads the ports are in hdmi 2.0b mode when 4k/8k set to enhanced.

Finally,

Set to 8k enhanced still in media port gives same results as above i.e. has no additional effect on the 4k ports.

However switching to 8k game port indicates TV now supports 4k/120 too

If I then change the 4k/8k setting to standard or enhanced the 8k port gives exactly the same results as when plugged into a 4k port.

Note to all users, please change 4k/8k signal format to 8k enhanced as otherwise the 8k ports are limited to hdmi 1.4/hdmi 2.0b as well :)

So you should be able to still have your Roku plugged into the media port but make sure you set the 4k/8k signal format to enhanced.

Let me know how you get on :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
by default 2022-01-04 at 15.54.47.png

by default 2022-01-04 at 15.55.10.png

by default 2022-01-04 at 15.56.39.png

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom