Question Denon S720W to X4200W worth the upgrade?

maxhan

Novice Member
Reaction score
As titled. I have had S720W for a while now and I am not completely happy with its performance. Here is a list of itemized complaints if you will:
  • When listening to music, anything above 60/98 (normalized) volume feels somewhat forced with a hint of distortion and clipping.
  • Music lacks refinement and clarity, it is especially lacking during instrumental playbacks at higher volumes; jarring and muddy. Music scores for Interstellar seems to bring out the worst of it.
  • When watching movies at around 66/98, the sound would often run into the "ceiling" where the system feels out of breath.

Here is my setup:
  • Polk RTI A5 for front left/right
  • Polk CSI A6 for center
  • Polk RTI A3 for surrounds
  • Polk PSW125 for sub
I ran Audyssey and DynamicEQ is enabled. For music, I settled on Dolby Surround up-mixing and center spread. Am I correct to assume the receiver is the bottle neck in the system? If so, would upgrading to X4200W make a notable difference?

Thanks!

The 4200 would be a big step up. Room EQ would be better with audyssey XT32 and the 4200 should drive your speakers easier. I find Dynamic EQ is not for me and that can be the cause of a 'muddy' sound.There may be more to your sound problems than just the receiver, but a better model with superior room EQ could go a fair way to solving it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom