Denon S101 or Sony DAV-X1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by GhostsForge, Mar 20, 2006.

1. GhostsForge

GhostsForge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one of these two systems do people recommend.

Any suggestions for the best value online place to purchase.

2. Kopacabana

Kopacabana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Go for a 5.1 system if you can. These are 'virtual' and, in my experience and many other people's, 2.1 just doesn't hack it.

If you can't go to 5.1 then go for the Denon.

3. heru

heru
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also considering those 2 systems because my wife doesn't want to have many speakers in our living room. I'm also interested with Yamaha YSP-800 or YSP-1000 (plus subs). Our TV is Panasonic 42PA50. I'm planning to get DVD recorder to be released from Pioneer (DVR-640H).

Between those 3, which one will give better sound for movie and music?

4. gareth_lewis2

gareth_lewis2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In terms of Sound Quality, the Sony is going to sound terrible. I have just replaced my DAV-500 and am waiting for its replacement the Denon S301.

On movies from what I have seen and heard the Sony will be pretty average. Nothing to make you go wow, unless you are upgrading from a 34.99 DVD player plugged into a portable B&W TV via composite. In music terms, don't bother. The DAV-500 has the ability to play SACDs. I only have two, one is the Jamie Cullum one, the other is the test SACD. On the Sony I could not tell when I was listening to SACD or CD, it was impossible to tell.

Also on a side note, the Sony systems I have listened too all share a common trait. They hiss. And I don't mean a quiet if you are close to it type of hiss, but a real, lets destroy the atmosphere of a quiet moment in either music or film with a constant hiss.

5. kinnik

kinnik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I went for the S301, which sounds miles better than the S101 - it's definitely worth the extra cash. I didn't go for the Yamaha because it was surprisingly big and bulky, and though it sounded great for movies, it didn't sound good with music. I've also heard it can be very sensitive to the shape of your room, which needs to be just right to get the best out of the system. Haven't seen the Sony system so can't comment on it.