Denon S101 or Harman Kardon HS200??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Gildeas, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Gildeas

Gildeas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I've been looking into a 2.1 system, and after deciding against the BOSE 321GS, I've narrowed down to these two.

I want to plug in my Sky, PS3 and TV (hence don't need s301 as I use PS3 for upscaling etc.). I will also play my ipod through it.

Price is very similar, but I haven't heard a demo of the Harman Kardon system (never seen them sold in shops??).

Comments would be much appeciated, thanks :thumbsup::lease:

2. animal8316

animal8316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I have the denon s101 which is great and I have no problems with it. I run my xbox 360 through the component on the denon , so i can run the denon to my TV via its component and the DVD's picture quality is great. The sound it produces is great although it is not true surround sound its pretty good. Builds quality is superb (the sub weighs a ton). Be aware though I think Denon is changing the Smart series (theres a thread with pictures of the new units on here if you do a search) the new ones are similar but black in colour and specs are slightly different. You should be able to get a good deal if they are changing the model. The only negative I have is the speaker stands are only good for placing on a TV unit - I had to buy stands. The ipod connectivity works great too
    As long as you don't need a HDMI input the S101 is a good 2:1 system. I can't comment on the Harman as I have no knowledge but I have had speakers for my mac from this company and found them OK.
    HTH

Andy

3. Gildeas

Gildeas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

Thanks for that. I've ordered the Denon now, and it should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to setting it up. I'll be connecting my PS3 (XBox 360 in a different room) and Phillips HDTV, and probably my iPod quite a bit.

What's your XBox gamertag?

Cheers

Steve

4. e-cams

e-cams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve,
    You didn't fancy the new Denon S102 then, coming out in a week or 2? Thats on my shopping list for this month.
    Matt

5. Dobbor1

Dobbor1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  6. animal8316

animal8316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steve,

Xbox gamer tag is Animal8316

Andy

7. Gildeas

Gildeas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, I'm RX Burn8 and I'll add you. Unfortunately I got the dreaded 3 red lights yesterday so I'm shipping off to Microsoft for repair, so I'll not be online for 4 or 5 weeks :thumbsdow

8. Gildeas

Gildeas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt - I slightly prefer the look of the 102, but I got the 101 for £585 delivered. I'm guessing the 102 would probably have cost me an extra £300 so wasn't that bothered!!! Think the 101 produces excellent sound anyway, which is pretty much all I was concerned about!!

Jeff - I didn't to be honest. I looked at the BOSE 321GS, Harman Kardon HS200 and the Denon s101/s301. I read bad reviews of the BOSE and opted for the s101 based on actually hearing the sound and not being bothered about the DVD qualities as I use my PS3 for that.

9. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi, how are you running your 360 through the denon using component Video?