Denon S-52 - Internet Radio Problems

peterolin

Standard Member
I have a Denon S-52 and cannot for my life get the Internet Radio to work at home. Damn it, I'm getting desperate. Does anyone have a clue?

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computer stuff, but I'm willing to be classified as one as long as I get some help on this. :)

The machine works at the store, verified by staff. I've tried the Internet Radio with wireless (WEP security) at my job, and got it to work myself . So there is some verification that it is not completely broken (And that I'm not completely lost).

I don't know the configuration of those networks.

I've also had it working at home by bypassing the Router, and connect it directly to the cable modem. This works as well. But then I have no connection for computers, etc.

At home, I have a cable modem , and a NETGEAR Router connected to that. I've tried connecting the S-52 to my router with wireless, and with a wire. I can get it to connect with all sorts of security settings (WEP, None, WPA) "Connection succeeded", and then after ages of waiting it comes up "Empty" when trying to get to the Internet Radio Channles. (IF I try with faulty security parameters I get "Connection failed", as expected).

I've reconfigured my Router to basic settings, upgraded it to the latest firmware. I'm out of ideas.

It will not work at my home network. And in addition to this, as soon as I try, it screws up my network, and all other units (wired computer and wireless lapton) loses their connections.

So, somehow it seems as if the problem is not related to the S-52, at least not completely. But on the other hand, I have no problems with connecting all sorts of equipment to my wireless router.

Any clues?

g00n3r

Novice Member
No clues I'm afraid, but probably worth flashing the router with latest firmware.

If that doesn't work then maybe just buy another router?

Don't be tempted to update the firmware on the Denon though, they always seem to freeze on stage 4 out of 4, then it has to go back for repair. (found this out the hardway as mine is currently away for repair)

The internet radio feature is superb by the way. :smashin:

vanilla

Although g00n3r has suggested not to update the Denon firmware, that was actually what I had to do to get mine working when I got the "EMPTY" message whilst trying to access the online radio. It's now playing fine after the update.

Matt_W

Standard Member
Hi,

I've had lack of hair on several occasions with the S52 as well. However now I'd say that I've learnt its idiosyncrasies, the firmware now appears better, and if it wasn't so damn expensive I'd buy another. Anyway enough of my praise.

With the wireless I've found a couple of gotchas, after a power off sometimes it doesn't seem to connect to the wireless, you have to go into network setup and press connect.

During my learning phase the unit would seem to connect to wireless but not work - my router (O2 box with voip and PSTN ports) struggles with DHCP so I put it down to that. However the only way I got it to work was to hard reset the S52 and start from the beginning. It seems that if it screws up storing the config it needs this kick to work.

Power up your S52, instead of trying internet radio check for a firmware update - will it report an ok connection? By the way don't run a firmware update over wireless, only wired.

The S52 only has one MAC address, both wired and wireless use the same MAC - a router may have some issue with connecting via a different method (i.e. wired to wireless) if it is caching the MAC address. A power off and on should flush most units though.

I don't recomment hiding SSID (network name) or MAC address filtering (it really does not provide any enhanced security) however if you are using any of these switch it off for testing.

If you really cannot get it to work wireless, then a 4 port ethernet switch will allow you to connect your PC and S52, from £10 on the high street.

Matthew

JonStatt

The firmware update on this unit is one of the scariest I have ever seen in recent years.

Yes, for sure, only do it via a wired connection. But in addition to that, while it is updating, it seems to put strange dots on the screen (a bit like corruption). Then at the end, it just gives you a blank screen (apparently normal when it is updating the system firmware as opposed to the DSP and other bits), and you wonder is it really finished or not.

Needless to say, it did succeed and restart after unplugging the power cord.

Apart from bug fixes, has anyone ever noticed any functionality changes in firmware updates? I don't believe they have done anything with the remote socket on the back of the unit yet, which seems to have been promised for some future update.

Matt_W

Standard Member
I noticed recently that the denon now directly controls the iPod. Instead of the jog wheel moving up and down the iPod menus the text is now displayed on the actual S52 unit.

The jog wheel can now also control the volume whilst iPod is playing (previously you had to use the remote)

Matthew

JonStatt

I noticed recently that the denon now directly controls the iPod. Instead of the jog wheel moving up and down the iPod menus the text is now displayed on the actual S52 unit.

The jog wheel can now also control the volume whilst iPod is playing (previously you had to use the remote)

Matthew
I think it has always been like that. You can switch between two iPod modes. Remote mode and Browse mode. You choose between the two, by pressing the iPod button more than once on the remote. The browse mode doesn't seem to work with all devices, such as iPhone 3Gs.

Matt_W

Standard Member
I think it has always been like that. You can switch between two iPod modes. Remote mode and Browse mode. You choose between the two, by pressing the iPod button more than once on the remote. The browse mode doesn't seem to work with all devices, such as iPhone 3Gs.
aha- just checked it and you are right. it's even written in the manual, I'd obviously not understood it whilst reading it though!

how about www.radiodenon.com Radio Setup? I found that from another forum but that was not listed in the manual. It's where you go to add your custom stations.

Matthew

S

SJOW

Glad to hear someone who is not 'a complete idiot' is having trouble. I'm decidedly green when it comes to these things.
I have had my Denon Internet radio working but v intermittently and never been able to get it to play PC music files.
The process for getting in networked is v complex and fiddly.
Not sure what wire sockets one should use to make the intial links - have tried USB and ethernet but to no avail.
As for updating Firmware - it just locks into "please wait..." mode for hours.

I's not a cheap peice of kit and it would be nice to turn on once in a while and listen to the News!

Any help, in simple, non-tech english would be gratefully received!

JonStatt

Actually I am finding it quite reliable, but there are 4 problems I have noted:-

1) DAB radio. When displaying radio text, it can't handle new-line characters. Instead of turning them into a space, it just ignores them. This results in displays like Alicia KeysNow Playing

2) iPhone 3G incompatibility. Forget the charging which we know won't work but other features should work. Remote mode works fine. Browse mode causes the S-52 to hang

3) The automatic clock setting no longer works. If you power off and on, the clock flashes forever. Presumably whatever time server it is supposed to sync with is no longer operational.

4) Minor DAB radio issue. When browsing station info it says Ensemble Lavel instead of Ensemble Label

Other than these things I find I can reliably network (WiFi) to get PC music and Internet radio and regularly use Internet radio as an alarm clock (you must add to favourites to achieve this).

Often the reason people struggle with the PC music sharing is because they have forgotten to authorise the Denon in the media player first. So the steps are:-
a) Go into media player and add to the media player library all the mp3 files you want (note that DRM files such as from napster will NOT work)

b) Try and browse the music from the Denon. This should result in an authorisation request on your PC. Go back to the PC and authorise. If you cannot see the request go into media player, and choose Library menu then Media Sharing. In the media sharing dialogue make sure you can see the Denon is authorised.

c) Go back to the Denon and try finding the music again and it should work from this point on.

Note that the Denon is not very fault resiliant. So for example if your PC gets switched off and then you try and find music, it will fail, of course. But then it doesn't always seem tor recover even when the PC is switched back on unless you power off and on again.

Sager77

Novice Member
Glad to hear someone who is not 'a complete idiot' is having trouble. I'm decidedly green when it comes to these things.
I have had my Denon Internet radio working but v intermittently and never been able to get it to play PC music files.
The process for getting in networked is v complex and fiddly.
Not sure what wire sockets one should use to make the intial links - have tried USB and ethernet but to no avail.
As for updating Firmware - it just locks into "please wait..." mode for hours.
I's not a cheap peice of kit and it would be nice to turn on once in a while and listen to the News!
Any help, in simple, non-tech english would be gratefully received!

Anyone is having the lock up solution of "Please Wait.." screen, please kindly share..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom