1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon - quality & customer service....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sidicks, Aug 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and from reading some home cinema magazines and this forum, its fair to say I have a little knowledge, but nowhere near enough...

I'm due to be moving into a new house soon which will have Home Cinema room (DVD player plus AV amp plus projector) and also a lounge which will contain a plasma (plus DVD player plus AV amp)

I was considering the Denon 3910 DVD player along with a Denon AVC-A11XV Amp (for each room), plus a separate scalar to maximise picture quality (this seems to be the best route rather than spend the extra cash for the A1X with its built in scalar......

My concern is that I've read a number of posts recently about poor build quality and customer service with Denon equipment, and don't want to spend £7k+ if I'm likely to have lots of problems.....

Thanks

Sidicks

PS - Before the installation I will be having my local home cinema experts around to review my requirements and they might recommend some very different equipment...............

Sidicks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Customer Service could be better at times (although it depends how you approach them as being nice works wonders ;) ) but poor build quality?? No chance, their units are superbly built, especially the models you're looking at.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    aye, i can very heartily recommend the 3910 DVD player, have one meself, lovely machine, somewhat chunky in size, but that simply means its internals are shielded better.......the picture quality even on a cheap Philips 28in Widscreen CRT is fantastic! (i've been saving up for the deposit on a projector...lol..even i'm not insane enought o pair a DVD player like the 3910 to a £300 TV forever....lol)

also amps are good, im using the 3803, when i get the cash i'll upgrade to the 3805 (the 3803 is fine except it doesnt have Denon-Link which i need for the DVD-A / SACD from the DVD player so i can use the ext inputs for my computer...lol)

dunno about customer services tho, never had a problem so never had to call them...lol.....oh, one thing tho, if u go for the DVD player and get it multi-regioned in the shop, make sure which revision they doing....check these forums for a thread about it...some revisions leave bugs in things u dont experience too often, but may annoy you when they do...lol

edit: oh btw, dunno where you are, but if in London or very close to, i recommend the Swiss Cottage branch of Sevenoaks Hifi, very nice friendly guys in there, usually good for giving u some extra cables/discounts to sweeten the deal...heh...bought my home cinema set up in bits and pieces from them over the last 2 years, cost me £5,000 overall, but i've got about £6,000 worth of equipment and cabling ;-)

4. fabfour

fabfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I contacted Denon a few ( :rolleyes: ) times before I got my 3910 and they were very quick and helpful with all my numerous queries.

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Go to an Denon official dealer and you shouldn't have any problems getting them or Denon to assist should you have problems. Denon are less forthcoming when you purchase from those who ignore their pricing structures, or if your equipment serial number reveals the item was not originally destined for this country (grey import).

Out of interest, if you get alternative recommendations let us know what they are (in the appropriate section) together with their reasons.

6. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    Thanks for your helpful responses !

sidicks