Denon Problems Anyone Else

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FATCAT40S, Sep 13, 2007.

1. FATCAT40S

FATCAT40S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im now on my third Denon DVD player the first a 1910 just wasnt good enough, the second a 2910 developed a fault after 18 months and Denon failed to repair it so that was replaced with a 3930.

After 4 months this 3930 has now developed a fault, after 40mins of watching a film it begins to freeze flash artefacts gradually getting worse until it freezes altogether.

At first I thought it was dirt or prints on the disc but I get the same on new discs.

If I eject the disc, restart, make my back to the point in the film using chapter selection it will then play the rest of the film.

Denon say its the firmware but I suspect its a drive fault, any ideas????

I’m not happy if it is a drive fault as

1. it will have to go back to Denon and last time that was a nightmare after 28 days it wasn’t fixed, it is there policy if a repair takes longer than 28 days the customer gets a new machine. I was told I was getting a new 2930 then within 30mins they rang back saying I was getting a 2910 and then I was told they were fixing my machine, talk about moving the goal posts.....luckily my dealer said they would give me a 2930 and argue the toss with Denon, so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the 3930.

2. What’s a £1200 unit doing failing after only 4 months (and after searching forums Im not the only one),if its fixed is it going to fail after another 4 months and so on.
    This worries me as Im now seeing posts on forums regarding 3930 drive failures!!! have you guys any experience.

Many Thanks in Advance

John

2. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knock on wood (touches head) my 3930 has been fine. I had some minor issues early on that a firmware update fixed and it's ok (with known bugs) since.

The other thing to consider, if you have had so many players fail, is environmental conditions. While the discs may be unscratched and clean, is your room dusty and/or prone to static ? You may find crap collecting on the lens(es).

If you get a CD/DVD lens cleaner and use it *without* any fluids (alcohol based ones can melt plastic lenses!) and see if things improve. They work by playing an audio track for about a minute while embedded brushes wipe over the lens as the disc rotates. Worked for me on car CD player, laptop and a PC in the past. Typical "dirty" scenarios.

3. FATCAT40S

FATCAT40S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Peter,

The 3930 sits in a dedicated rack in the understairs cupboard where its a tad cooler and relvativley dust free.

The 2910 was the only other machine to fail but not to any great degree
    every now and again it would stutter, I thought when it went back to Denon it would be returned as non faulty.......was I supprised when it was a failed or failing drive.

As for cleaning I have tried a dry cleaning disc but to no avail so its in on Sat
    for a firmware upgrade, must admit Im not confident.

As a matter of interest what problems are there with the 3930?

John

4. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found that if I am playing music, most typically an SACD, and I switch through the Pure Direct modes via the remote, sometimes all the control will hang. Music may or may not continue, but none of the remote or front panel controls then respond. This does not happen often and I have learnt to change the Pure Direct modes before starting a CD :)

There was a similar problem when changing between disc formats (SACD to CD to DVD) but that was fixed with the original firmware update I did.

Finally, sometimes - maybe once every couple of weeks - the output audio for music is distorted through both HDMI and analogue but in a very noticeable way. I think there is a current firmware update meant to "improve analogue CD playback" that might fix this, but I have not yet downloaded it.

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I also use the disc with the small brushes to clean but this is if there isnt much dust on the lense. Sometimes it does nothing and the best way is to open the machine and clean the lense with a cotton tip, found this the best way to do it.

6. spooney

spooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I suggest to perform a firmware update.
    Peter's issue is a known issue - at least with the 2930 - and already has been fixed a while ago.

7. markelliott

markelliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can't believe all this talk about using cleaning discs. Using cleaning discs is the worst possible thing you can do. These types of discs damage the laser heads.

Please don't tell me you've cleaned the lens in your Denon DVD-1730 already? :nono: :lesson:

I don't understand all this talk about cleaning the lenses, I've never had to do this in any DVD or CD player that I've owned. If there ever needs to be any cleaning doing, it certainly won't be done with some stupid cleaning disc.

8. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Mark, you seem to have very strong opinions about cleaning disks. Is this based on some research you have seen or read?

I just ask because I have one and it was obviously developed for the job, so I am a bit surprised you feel it will actually damage the player.

I do agree you would only use it to cure some issue, rather than on a regular basis.

Not trying to pick an arguement, just asking to view the evidence. It may make me think twice in future if it proves to be detremental.

Cheers.
    Graham

9. markelliott

markelliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not only did my dad tell me this fact many years ago, but even NAD states this on their FAQs page - http://nadelectronics.com/faq#disccleaning

Q: Can I use a CD cleaning disc on my CD player?
    A: No, we do not recommend this as it will destroy the laser heads. Any cleaning that needs to be done to a CD/DVD player should only be done by a qualified service center.

Look's like my dad is right then.

Cleaning discs should never be used, they do more harm than good. You heard it from my dad and the experts.

10. FATCAT40S

FATCAT40S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Heres the latest on my problem with my 3930, I had a chat with one of the guys at Denon, not very friendly but very useful. I explained the problem and he said its not the firmware and it sounded like a laser problem and I should try to reset the unit I must admit I thought he was just going to say switch it off and back on again but no, he told me to switch on the unit with no dvd in the tray and when the machine has finished its start up press play and skip
    forward at the same time after which the display will show "initialise" and thats it.

I have to report I tried this and I have played two dvds and no problems....so far so good.

Got to say if you are having similar problems you try this at your own risk.....

John

11. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

Maybe they just want you to spend more money getting it fixed at a service center.

12. markelliott

markelliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They said 'A' qualified service centre. :rolleyes: