Denon Pre-Outs Help Needed

markmc2k9

Hello,

I purchased Monitor Audio Silver 200s with a Denon 3700 and Marantz 8006. I'm trying to combine stereo with 5.1 so hoping to use the Marantz for pre-outs to the front L and R. The issue is I just can't seem to get it to work. I've plugged the left and right speakers into Speaker A terminals on the Marantz and then select 'Direct Mode'.

The denon just refuses to acknowledge the speakers. Just no sound at all, not even a hiss. I suspect I have missed a setting on the 3700 but can't for the life of me figure it out. Can anyone help me?

Hello,

I purchased Monitor Audio Silver 200s with a Denon 3700 and Marantz 8006. I'm trying to combine stereo with 5.1 so hoping to use the Marantz for pre-outs to the front L and R. The issue is I just can't seem to get it to work. I've plugged the left and right speakers into Speaker A terminals on the Marantz and then select 'Direct Mode'.

The denon just refuses to acknowledge the speakers. Just no sound at all, not even a hiss. I suspect I have missed a setting on the 3700 but can't for the life of me figure it out. Can anyone help me?
How have you configured your speakers on the Denon, and have you attempted to run Audyssey? What input have you used on the Marantz?

markmc2k9

I have not tried Audyssey to be fair. Would that be what you suggest?

Marantz is generally on CD, Source Direct and Speaker A - tried all inputs though with no joy

I have not tried Audyssey to be fair. Would that be what you suggest?

Marantz is generally on CD, Source Direct and Speaker A - tried all inputs though with no joy
Well you need to ensure your connections are correct first. You should be running 2 RCA cables from the Denon's Front L/R pre outs to the Marantz's Power Amp Direct In. The Direct In ( or whatever it is called) input on the Marantz needs to be selected.

Ensure that you fully run the Denon's speaker configuration, use the 9.1 config with 5 speakers on the floor. Then run Audyssey to check if all speakers are working.

Last edited:

markmc2k9

Thanks for your continued help. Maybe I should just double check, this is where I have cabled it (one red/white RCA). Does that look correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0248.PNG
    IMG_0248.PNG
    966.4 KB · Views: 25

Jester1066

Thanks for your continued help. Maybe I should just double check, this is where I have cabled it (one red/white RCA). Does that look correct?
Nope the rca's on the Marantz go into the "Power In", not "pre-out", then into the denon 3700 as pictured.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
No. Both connections are outputs.
The left image is presumably the stereo amp?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
We've all done it, I spent ages trying to get an active sub to work that I'd plugged into an input, I even started to browse for a new sub on the classifieds before I realised my error.

Jester1066

No. Both connections are outputs.
The left image is presumably the stereo amp?
I'm assuming the left is the Marantz... So the OP should connect as follows:

Marantz "Power In" ➡️ Denon F&R "Pre-outs"

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Agreed, should be a good combo IMO

Looks like I have been very foolish then! Thanks for the replies I'll try that and report back.
Yes as above, you need to use the power amp IN connectors on the Marantz.

We've all done it, I spent ages trying to get an active sub to work that I'd plugged into an input, I even started to browse for a new sub on the classifieds before I realised my error.
Speak for yourself :p

gibbsy

You also have to press the Power Amp Direct button and hold it in until the button lights up to use with the Denon.

Jester1066

You also have to press the Power Amp Direct button and hold it in until the button lights up to use with the Denon.
Which is the main reason I chose the Audiolab 6000A over the Marantz. I liked the sound of both, but switching modes on the Audiolab is easier (no need to hold any buttons for 3 seconds).

This would of been something my OH would have forgotten to do when she wanted to listen to music! She'd just press the button (as you do on 6000A), rather then remember she needed to hold it down for 3 secs (Marantz). Yours truly would find it amusing at first, but after the 100th time of showing her (She's a self confessed technophobe) I'd be annoyed as hell 😂😂😂

markmc2k9

I was just about to come on here and say still no joy but that done the trick!! Thanks so much everyone - now time to play with my new toys...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom