Denon PMA-2500NE & DCD1600NE review

Yes, I've found that price and have asked my local AudioT if they can supply for that price. I've placed the Marantz and headphone amp in it's possible new position and I very happy with that, three metre lead reaches quite well. Now I need the Denon to connect back to the main system and sell the 6006.
Hifi Corner do trade ins and you may get a fair price for your CD6006. For my PMA-2500 they were already £300 cheaper than anywhere else and then offered me £475 trade in plus collection cost for my M-ONE which I had bought brand new for £400 from AVOnline - i.e. over £75 less than the trade in offer. Hence why I took the offer without even haggling. Consider also that online offers better buyer protection than in store purchase and that my amp and SACD player were being stored in Germany immediately prior to my purchase which may have import taxes / complications should Brexit occur....

If anyone want's to see the two reviews of the DCD-2500NE which I have mentioned, you can either web search or, if you want to PM your private email address, I can send you the .pdf files.
I have re-looked at the internal photo's and there are more differences than I remembered, albeit much is shared. At double the price though 'tis the law of diminishing returns as you say and doubtless would require more spent downline....
As I type I'm certainly enjoying my DCD-1600ne . Be in no doubt it is a sterling player. It doesn't suffer poor recordings though and tells you straight how it is. I am listening to Bjork's Medulla which in many ways is a good recording, however there is sibilance and distortion on her solo voice in places - not the fault of the player (or the rest of the system) but it takes no prisoners. You mention Steely Dan's Aja. I am currently awaiting delivery of the vinyl version of this well recorded album and may well consider getting the SACD to compare which I prefer. If you have a link to the supplier I would appreciate it.
You mention the depth / width to the soundstage and I concur. The crispness to the treble is good / bad depending on the recording (see earlier mention of Herbie Hancock Sextant) and I agree re control of bass.
I also agree the onboard DAC is very good.
I don't have an issue with the display brightness.
Thank you for the head's up on the DVD-R issues
Enjoy the DCD-2500 - I'm slightly envious lol

www.discogs.com[/URL]. Then look at the 'Market' you can then search for the music you want, filter by SACD etc. You'll get the hang of it... Most of the sellers are private, collectors etc. Look carefully at specs of what's on offer. Go to www.HRaudio.net to get inside info on releases, remastered etc.

(I got my copy of 'Aja' from andreasduisburg)

Hope this helps :)

Oops - messed-up quote :rolleyes:

Anyway, you've got what you need re Discogs...:)

At those prices I'll appreciate the vinyl more.... and maybe get the standard CD for 1/10th the price and 99% (at least on the Denon with it's upscaling) sq

At those prices I'll appreciate the vinyl more.... and maybe get the standard CD for 1/10th the price and 99% (at least on the Denon with it's upscaling) sq
Amazon have the 2000 pressing advertised and it has a very good dynamic range average of 14. Problem with Amazon is that I've ordered a particular year that was advertised only to have a different pressing delivered, but looking at all the CD pressings they all have very good dynamics.

I've contact HiFi Corner with regards to p/x on my Marantz. Thanks for the tip.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Will look into that pressing
Yes - Amazon have their moments lol - I ordered vinyl John Coltrane's A love Supreme - and this is what I can listen to digitally on my account, however they sent me Santana and McLaughlin's version (which I've kept) and don't seem to be able to differentiate between them on the site.
I'm currently re listening to the Sextant SACD that I berated for it's treble harshness and either my player has soothed slightly from the 1st time it was ever switched on or forewarned is forearmed - or most likely I have the volume lower (always helps) but it's now definitely a bit easier on the ear and has great soundstage. I'm, er, actually enjoying it...
Hifi corner have a good reputation for customer service so see what they offer you

Yes, many of the decently mastered CDs I've got sound superb - and I wouldn't bother with the SACD version. However, there are exceptions where I have still gone after the SACD. The most recent being the Analogue Productions remastered version of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' - stonkingly good as an SACD - also, Supertramp's 'Breakfast in America' (Mobile Fidelity remaster).

In general, SACD is certainly the best way to hear classical orchestral music - reproducing the very wide dynamic range of a concert hall, very accurately placing each instrument in space, and revealing background detail such as the turning of music sheets in the background. Consider 'A Violin for All Seasons' - BBC Symphony Orchestra, with Tasmin Little, Chandos label; and 'Elgar / Vaughan Williams, Enigma Variations, The Wasps, Greensleeves, Reference Recordings label.

You will sometimes find that some classical recordings have been mastered at lower volume levels, so need the volume control winding up - but beware the much wider dynamic range of the SACD format, you could blow your speakers! :eek:

Enjoy :thumbsup:

I have recently acquired a number of the Reference Recordings SACDs to which you refer which do indeed live up to their name. Maybe 3 decades ago I got a free sample CD of theirs which included Malcolm Arnold's Beckus The Dandipratt that has been a go-to for audition and general listening pleasure. It sounds stunning upscaled on the DCD-1600
edit - I also have the full Arnold CD played by London Philharmonic RR-48CD if it's still available highly recommended
2nd edit - just played it at full blast and not only is my hair (what little I have) standing on end but I have goosebumps. One of those rare disks when both the playing and recording are a full 10 out of 10

Last edited:
I'm currently re listening to the Sextant SACD that I berated for it's treble harshness and either my player has soothed slightly from the 1st time it was ever switched on or forewarned is forearmed - or most likely I have the volume lower (always helps) but it's now definitely a bit easier on the ear and has great soundstage. I'm, er, actually enjoying it...

Yes, definitely recommend running the player in :smashin: I left mine, set to whole disc repeat, running 24/7 for about 10 days before serious listening. It certainly got noticeably smoother with an improved soundstage - as you have found.

I've been in touch with HiFi Corner regarding the part ex on my Marantz, little low for the 1600 but offered more against the 2500. When I told the wife the prices the frown on her face wasn't too bad when I mentioned the price of the 2500, which is excellent with a discount. I could put the 6006 up for sale in the Forum's classifieds. Now I have to decide.

Is the 2500 worth the premium over the 1600. The idea is to use either of the Denons connected to my Lehmann Linear headphone amp as this still makes around 80% of my music listening on headphones. The wife, because of her heart condition gets tired and goes to bed early, too early for me and that's when I do most of my listening. It would not be fair to play the main system as the bedroom is right above the speakers. The Marantz 8005 would go back into the main system.

I've got till close of trade Wednesday to make up my mind. Just wish I could listen to them side by side.

I don't envy you...:( Very difficult to determine whether it will be VFM as you will mainly be listening via headphones.

I have a pair of Focal Elears, driven by a Heed CanAmp. Much better than the Sennheiser HD650s I had before - but I still have buyer's remorse.... Should have gone for the Focal Clears and a Lehmann Linear amp :confused: (it just seemed too expensive at the time) In my case, I don't hear anywhere near as much improvement over the headphone system as I do via my Neat speakers - but then, that's my system, and the Elears have a noticeable dip in response in the upper mid range (still pricey tho...)

Sorry I can't be more definite :) Difficult decision...

You will be delighted with either
Questions;-
will you always be kicking yourself you didn't get the 2500 if you only got the 1600, even if you were extremely happy with it (which you would be)? The pain of cost is quickly forgotten but regret is permanent....
What would the kids spend the extra inheritance on?
Would the difference in cost get a decent upgrade in headphones that would be greater than the difference in sq between the two players? (Just thought I would throw this grenade in lol)
Would Hifi Corner give you the better trade-in value on the 1600 if you told them getting the business depended on it, particularly if another matched it? It's nice positive cashflow business for them - you're paying them before they pay Denon as they only buy it to order.
Is the difference in px value no more than the cost of a SACD?

To quote an earlier post - I like spending other people's money ;-)

Would Hifi Corner give you the better trade-in value on the 1600 if you told them getting the business depended on it, particularly if another matched it? It's nice positive cashflow business for them - you're paying them before they pay Denon as they only buy it to order.

As I privately told Numpty, I got a well-known national online/stores retailer to price beat HiFi Corner, and got a half-price 6-year warranty into the bargain. Again, it was bought to order.

Happy to PM you with the details, if you wish...:cool:

Listening to my newly delivered SHM SACD copies of 'Aja' and 'Gaucho' as I type :thumbsup:

You will be delighted with either
Questions;-
will you always be kicking yourself you didn't get the 2500 if you only got the 1600, even if you were extremely happy with it (which you would be)? The pain of cost is quickly forgotten but regret is permanent....
What would the kids spend the extra inheritance on?
Would the difference in cost get a decent upgrade in headphones that would be greater than the difference in sq between the two players? (Just thought I would throw this grenade in lol)
Is the difference in px value no more than the cost of a SACD?

To quote an earlier post - I like spending other people's money ;-)
I'm happy with my headphones, Oppo PM1s is the top of the three pair I've got. I know what you mean with buyer's remorse. My son has no interest in either HiFi or HT and would sell the lot to finance a nice big aquarium. Think I'll try and get a better deal with HiFi Corner.

I've ordered a 2500 player from HiFi Corner.

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come :cool:

My 2500NE arrived from AV Online yesterday.

I was a little worried as the polystyrene packaging on the bottom was smashed up somewhat, even though the box was undamaged, but luckily the player is fine.

As I said the other day, I have the 1520AE which I always thought was a beautifully constructed CD player, but the 2500 beats it into fits. Fantastically smooth machine that obviously sounds incredible. I’m waiting for some higher quality audio leads to arrive, but it’s hard to imagine it sounding much better than it does now!

Considering how good this is, it does make me wonder what the truly high end players that costs thousands are like... Not that I’ll ever find out.:D

Anyway, I’d say to anyone on the fence about the 2500, have no fears. It’s extremely unlikely you’ll be disappointed.

Welcome to the club - another member :thumbsup: ;)

're the polystyrene packaging - I found the same when I opened mine! I sent emails and photographs to my supplier and to Denon UK. That was a few months ago, but I've not found any problems since :smashin:

However, I'd recommend that you do the same to back-up your warranty - just in case... I got a rather generic response from Denon UK - thanking me for letting them know, and that they would pass on to their production colleagues for future improvements. My thoughts are that, because the unit is so heavy (13.7 kg) and built like a tank, standard expanded polystyrene is just not up to the job. I would think that a more modern closed-cell HDPE foam (e.g. like that used by Oppo) would be much more robust - and recyclable!

I am currently using Chord Clearway RCA interconnects with great results, and am not sure whether going to the Shawline is going to reap any significant benefits...

What I did do, was put an SACD on whole disc repeat play 24/7 for a week, followed by the same for a redbook CD - as a run-in.

Enjoy :cool:

Welcome to the club - another member :thumbsup: ;)

're the polystyrene packaging - I found the same when I opened mine! I sent emails and photographs to my supplier and to Denon UK. That was a few months ago, but I've not found any problems since :smashin:

However, I'd recommend that you do the same to back-up your warranty - just in case... I got a rather generic response from Denon UK - thanking me for letting them know, and that they would pass on to their production colleagues for future improvements. My thoughts are that, because the unit is so heavy (13.7 kg) and built like a tank, standard expanded polystyrene is just not up to the job. I would think that a more modern closed-cell HDPE foam (e.g. like that used by Oppo) would be much more robust - and recyclable!

I am currently using Chord Clearway RCA interconnects with great results, and am not sure whether going to the Shawline is going to reap any significant benefits...

What I did do, was put an SACD on whole disc repeat play 24/7 for a week, followed by the same for a redbook CD - as a run-in.

Enjoy :cool:
Thanks. It makes sense what you say about the CD player being too heavy for the packaging. I could hear the player rattling around in the box when I got it!. The box itself was fine, though. Didn’t look like it had been knocked about.

As for the standard warranty, there was nothing in the box, is it automatically activated when you purchase it, or do I have to do something else?

Thanks again.

From memory I didn't have the polystyrene issue with the DCD-1600 - it isn't quite as heavy as the 2500 and the polystyrene fitted properly. My PMA-2500, however suffered the same issues as you describe. Further more the polystyrene cutout is too large, allowing it to wobble in the box. Packed well they ain't. My 1st PMA2500 suffered at the hands of DPD delivery and so it had to be replaced.
But wow! now it has I'm still utterly blown away by it. Whether analogue in (for SACD), USB to internal DAC or Phono stage it's absolutely fantastic and still has me grinning from ear to ear.
You all enjoy your DCD-2500s. If they are as good as the matching amp then you've got yourselves some stunning kit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom