For Sale Denon PMA-2000IVR

robertseymour

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Reaction score
I have had this for around 9-months, swapping between a Bryston B60R and this, and overall I prefer the Bryston so this is up for sale.

It's very similar to the whole range of Denon flagship integrated amplifiers (PMA-2####) like the PMA-2000AE & PMA-2500NE, which I have also owned. It is very conservatively rated at 80w/8Ohms & 160w/4Ohms but has no trouble with either the 80dB ATC SCM10 or 92dB/4Ohm KEF Three-Two. It has a great Phono stage, plenty of inputs as well as a Pre Out and a Main In (to use as a Power Amp). It also has the original dinky little remote control too.

This is a very large amplifier, its very deep so make sure it fits in your rack, and you can lift it!

Cosmetically its very good, Taking it out of the rack I noticed that there is a small smudge on the volume knob, I've tried to show this as best possible in the closeup photo.. It even appears to have the original warranty stickers on the case.

In use it works perfectly apart from one specific issue that comes and goes. When you turn it on with the main power button, sometimes it sends a thump through the speakers and goes into protection mode. I have however found a workaround, when you turn it on, using the supplied remote control put it into standby, leave it for ~5-min and then take it off standby with the remote and its fine. I usually leave it on standby anyway so this has not been an issue for me. The Thump is loud but does not damage the speakers. In use, there are no other issues, no crackling through the speakers, all the knobs/features work as they should.

I don't have the original box but I do have one suitable, but as this is getting on for 25Kg, shipping would be quite expensive.

I am looking for £600 plus postage. Collection from Oxfordshire.

Specs Here (and Owners Manual)

Price and currency
£600
Delivery cost included
Delivery is NOT included
Prefer goods collected?
I prefer the goods to be collected
Advertised elsewhere?
Advertised elsewhere
Payment method
Paypal Gift or Bank Transfer
Please click the box to agree to the following statement
  1. I confirm my acceptance of the AVForums trading rules (link opens in a new window) and agree to abide by them at all times until the transaction is concluded to the satisfaction of all parties involved.

Attachments

• IMG22768.jpg
    IMG22768.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG22765.jpg
    IMG22765.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG22761.jpg
    IMG22761.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG22759-2.jpg
    IMG22759-2.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG22757-2.jpg
    IMG22757-2.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG22756.jpg
    IMG22756.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG22755.jpg
    IMG22755.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG22754.jpg
    IMG22754.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 124

Simba

Distinguished Member
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Reaction score
Hi

Lovely amp, been on the lookout for denon heavy weight beast since selling my denon s10ii but the thump problem concerns me.

It happens irrespective of any inputs connected?

Is there a 'soft start' power up of this amp and does it go into protection mode straight away or after a few relay clicks?

robertseymour

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Reaction score
Hi

Lovely amp, been on the lookout for denon heavy weight beast since selling my denon s10ii but the thump problem concerns me.

It happens irrespective of any inputs connected?

Is there a 'soft start' power up of this amp and does it go into protection mode straight away or after a few relay clicks?
Hi,
Yes it does it on switch on, no matter what the previous input has been selected (you can't change the input when its turning on).

I believe the startup is a 'soft start' as when I bought it (and the same as the PMA-2000AE I had) where it takes 5-6 seconds to turn on to get through its initialisation process.

Here is a video I took after it first happened, I'd had it 3-4 weeks when it started. As I say it does not always do it so it took a few cycles to get it on video. The first part where the blue light flashes is normal, just after the thump and relay click where it then goes into the protection mode and faster flashing blue light.

Simba

Distinguished Member
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Reaction score
Hi,
Yes it does it on switch on, no matter what the previous input has been selected (you can't change the input when its turning on).

I believe the startup is a 'soft start' as when I bought it (and the same as the PMA-2000AE I had) where it takes 5-6 seconds to turn on to get through its initialisation process.

Here is a video I took after it first happened, I'd had it 3-4 weeks when it started. As I say it does not always do it so it took a few cycles to get it on video. The first part where the blue light flashes is normal, just after the thump and relay click where it then goes into the protection mode and faster flashing blue light.

hi and thanks for the information and details. I will pass for now.

leonard10

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
regarding the issue Im happy to offer you a fair price of 250£,regards Leo

password1

Distinguished Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Reaction score
Have you considered getting it serviced?

I may be interested but need to find out the cost to service and repair. Do you have any pictures of the amp inside? or a video to demo the problem?

password1

Distinguished Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Reaction score
Thanks. I clicked on the link and thought it was a picture and didn't realize it was a video. A picture of the inside may help.. Im assuming the case has never been opened.

robertseymour

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Reaction score
Does it get hot and need plenty of ventilation?
I have never opened it to take any photos. In terms of heat, its a big amp but runs fine in my Quadraspire QKAV rack with doors on, although I always have the doors open when in use. It only ever gets warm to the touch, even when I was using with my 80dB ATC SCM10s.

Kapkirk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Looks like it's going into protection at the exact time the relay clicks on. Am wondering if it is a faulty thermistor that prevents current inrush at switch on or even a dirty relay.
Can I ask -when you first switch it on by front button then off and then on again within 3 seconds, does it then work without the thump or is the only way to prevent it happening is to use remote from standby
..And does it thump through both speakers or just either L or R. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV