Denon pairing with Monitor Audio RS8 speakers

bobbaray

My Arcam AVR 350 is now due for upgrade, still a great bit of kit though so will probably keep it

I have a budget of about 1.5k.

I am currently using the following speaker set up,

Fronts – Monitor Audio RS8s
Center – Monitor Audio GS LCR
Rears - Monitor Audio RX1s

I was wondering if the Denon AVR 3313 would complement my speakers, will be hard to audition this combo as the speakers have been discontinued

Many thanks

Bobby

Last edited:

chienmetallique

Are you seriously looking to replace your Arcam with the Denon? I would rather go for either the Arcam 400 or Anthem 300/500. Sevenoaks should be able to demo these and may even offer home demo. Not sure why you want to upgrade though?

bobbaray

I was just toying with the idea of a new amp, I have been so for months. I want a significant improvement over my AVR 350. The 600 would be the obvious choice but 2k + £400 for the 3D pass through is too rich for me.

I ave demoed the AVR 400 with the RX6 Monitor Audio speakers, the sound was not too dissimilar to my 350, I would say there was no significant improvement.

It looks like I will need to saves few pennies to get a better amp.

The anthem amp was really harsh, my 350 sounded better than that.

chienmetallique

I have read that the 350 progressed to the 600. Glad you prefer the 350 to the Anthem, think i'll stick with my Arcam AVR 300 until a 600 becomes reasonable.

Keep saving the pennies.

IcetomLT

You should go for Denon AVR-4311 till it is still available. AVR-3313 uses only Audyssey MultEQ XT sound calibration software inside, where 4311 uses top MultEQ XT32 version. There are some other differences too...

I tried temporary connect my 4311 to my MA RS6 - no problem at all for amplifier to keep with MA RS6 in my oppinion in terms of sound quality (for that price range) :smashin:

bobbaray

chienmetallique said:
I have read that the 350 progressed to the 600. Glad you prefer the 350 to the Anthem, think i'll stick with my Arcam AVR 300 until a 600 becomes reasonable.

Keep saving the pennies.

I actually thought the Anthem mx700 sounded awful. Let me quote my wife 'all I could hear was noise, you're not spending £1900 on that rubbish' they used the train crash scene from Super 8 for the demo. Picture transfer was stunning though with the Sony HW30ES.

The 350 is much less harsh on the ears, it has plenty of power to run my RS8s. It looks like it will be the AVR600 to be fair. I'll be fighting you for it when the next one comes up for sale on the forum.

chienmetallique

Where did you audition the Anthem 700? I think these demos ( unless the staff know what they are doing ) can be very off putting. I was all set to drop £1900 on an Arcam 500 took the wife, we both auditioned it, didn't say anything until everything was tested, including all our favourite scenes. We couldn't believe we were sitting in front of £6500 of equipment, it was truly shocking. A friend put it down to inexperienced staff, poor room and badly matched equipment. So that Anthem might sound lots better in your room, I look forward to your review of the 600 cos i'm not giving up on Arcam despite 1 poor demo.

Last edited:

bobbaray

I had the unit demoed at Music Matrers in Stratford Upon Avon. I have been a customer there for years and the staff are very knowledgable. They have a well set up demo room and the demo was by appointment. They had a week to get the room ready. The explosion scenes were head blowing. All bang and no clarity. It was so loud even at the so called reference volume.

The unit itself is really ugly too, it needs to be hidden away.

I have demoed 'drooled' over the 600 for a while. It's a great amp, I will get one once the unit comes down in price second hand.

I did have a look at importing a emotiva amp from the states. www.emotiva.com

The XMC-1 and XPA-5 ( Pre and power) works out to about £2600 with delivery and duty

Member 566779

The AVR600 is a good unit there was a few refurbs units for £1.8k floating about but seems they have all been wrapped up now. The Denon 4311 would be a worthwhile upgrade and still give you overhead for improving your speakers down the line.

Was in Stratford upon Avon over the weekend lovely place :)... but the Anthem gear im surprised to hear that we don't sell the stuff but always impressed by its performance... used them on a job or two... well built and certainly not all bang and no clarity...

The Emotiva gear looks brutal for its money complete overkill for the MA speakers... would be interested to hear from anyone whose had some of this kit for a while.

bobbaray

I was chatting to a guy from Cyberhomes AV installers, they used the Anthem high end Pre/power beasts. He said they were the best.

I really was not impressed, with the 700. I'll just have to be patient and wait for my AVR600

bobbaray

The Emotiva gear looks brutal for its money complete overkill for the MA speakers... would be interested to hear from anyone whose had some of this kit for a while.

The MAs are rated at 175 watts, the Power amp delivers 200 watts per channel, I though it was better to drive them to potential not under drive them, this is where you normally get problems. Is this not the case?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom