Denon owners: how are your front displays holding up? 2013-2020

Michael7877

Denon receivers from 2013 onward seem to have the same vacuum fluorescent displays. For the couple years before that they look like they were made the same way, but with a slightly different layout.

The brightness settings are Off (0%) - Dark (10%) - Dim (35%) - Bright (100%).

Off is off all the time, except when you adjust something (volume, input), then it comes on Dark and shuts off 1.5 seconds after you finish pressing buttons.

My question for Denon receiver owners 2011-2021:
1.) What brightness setting do you use?
2.) What's the average number of hours per day your receiver is powered on,
3.) How many years have you had your receiver,
4.) How is its display holding up?

By "holding up" I mean
How bright is the display compared to new?
If it's dimmer, is the wear even or uneven?
If it's uneven, does it make reading it more difficult?
Have you increased brightness by one setting (Dark to Dim, Dim to Bright)?
Have any parts of the display stopped working completely (like the Audessy indicator for example)?

My receiver is in a common area and due to schedules it is on almost 24/7 - literally 22-24 hours per day.
I have its display set to Dim. Dark is too dark for the room, and since when you turn the display to the Off setting, Dark is what you get when it's on, I can't use it.

Asking because I'm wondering how long my receiver's display will be useful for. I know there's always the app and the on screen display through HDMI, but when I retire the thing (to music), it won't necessarily be connected to wifi or a TV...

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure if longevity is an issue but if it bothers you go for a Marantz 70xx or above, they have the same display under the flap and a separate porthole shaped smaller display for basic source and volume. The big display is only active when the flap is open.

Dobbyisfree

I have, as spare receivers but I need to sell one of them, an AVR1910 and an AVR-X3100. Both have displays that are stuck on dim! When you change the settings, they go Off-Dim-Dim-Dim. No variation in brightness over the screen though.

I had an AVR-4310, sold early this year, that worked in dark or dim, so settings Off-Dark-Dim-Dim. And it had some bits that were a bit brighter and some a bit darker (but still all worked).

I had an AVR-X2300 that I sold a few months ago and had owned from new in May-17. Display worked perfectly.

For six months I've had an AVR-X4400. Powered on average every day for at least 12 hours. Screen is perfect and all settings work. I leave the screen off because I don't want it to break! I did used to put the screen on if we needed to use TV audio but since getting a newer phone with super battery life, I just use the remote control app.

BBC News is typically on during the day and it is left with switch on volume setting of -40dB set in stereo (so I don't need to switch on external power amp).

I have absolutely no evidence to prove it but my suspicion is that the screen doesn't like getting hot and well ventilated and/or fan cooled Denons may be likely to have screens lasting longer.

Oh, also, I had a Marantz SR-5006 for a while and the Buddha's bellybutton had gone dim on that.

Michael7877

I have, as spare receivers but I need to sell one of them, an AVR1910 and an AVR-X3100. Both have displays that are stuck on dim! When you change the settings, they go Off-Dim-Dim-Dim. No variation in brightness over the screen though.

I had an AVR-4310, sold early this year, that worked in dark or dim, so settings Off-Dark-Dim-Dim. And it had some bits that were a bit brighter and some a bit darker (but still all worked).

I had an AVR-X2300 that I sold a few months ago and had owned from new in May-17. Display worked perfectly.

For six months I've had an AVR-X4400. Powered on average every day for at least 12 hours. Screen is perfect and all settings work. I leave the screen off because I don't want it to break! I did used to put the screen on if we needed to use TV audio but since getting a newer phone with super battery life, I just use the remote control app.

BBC News is typically on during the day and it is left with switch on volume setting of -40dB set in stereo (so I don't need to switch on external power amp).

I have absolutely no evidence to prove it but my suspicion is that the screen doesn't like getting hot and well ventilated and/or fan cooled Denons may be likely to have screens lasting longer.

Oh, also, I had a Marantz SR-5006 for a while and the Buddha's bellybutton had gone dim on that.

To get more from your post, could you answer:

How many years service the 3100 and 4310 had? And how many hours per day average they were used/at what brightness setting?

Your X2300, how many hours per day on average? What was its brightness setting?

The 4400, what is your brightness setting?

There are heating elements in the displays (they're vacuum tubes), so external heat shouldn't be an issue... for the displays at least. I do cool my 3700 though, with two fans - an 8 inch 550 RPM fan from a special ITX computer case I junked because my video card wouldn't fit in it, and a 120mm case fan. Both are powered from my TV's USB port with a USB to 12V converter. The TV's USB port stays on about 5 minutes after the TV is turned off, so my 3700 is always cool :D
I have an IR thermometer, and nothing's more than 5 degrees over room temperature except the transformer which is 10 (I don't use ECO mode, 100 watts minimum at all times is bound to cause some temp rise)

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom