1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon or Yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DarT, Nov 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone care to express an opinion on the choice between the Denon 3803 and the Yamaha 1400.

What are the benefits of each and the negatives of each ?

Use will be with a Panasonic plasma 6 for home cinema and also for audio use.

Thanks

2. agendrano

agendrano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I have read on different forums, the Yamaha is great for home theater but a bit bright for audio. The Denons tend to favor a more neutral audio.

It will also depend on the speakers you will be using. The best thing to do will be to audition these receivers with the speaker of your choice. You will find a good combination that will suit your taste.

3. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DarT, I auditioned the Yam vs arcam avr200, and then the Onkyo 701 vs Denon 3803... I will be taking the Yamaha and the Denon head to head soon, so I will post my results to let you know.

Gav

4. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the yamaha has THX Select processing. the denon doesn't.
    oh and you can actually get the yamaha, i have been told by my dealer the denon can have up to a 3-4 week delivery time.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1400 is amazing best i've heard at the price

6. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you decide you do prefer the Yammy for AV, then do consider adding an additional stereo amp (maybe even s/h) for music. that way you could upgrade all the way on the cd replay side ... ie adding/connecting CDplayer direct to stereo amp, etc

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's normally the other way around! Few dealers have the Yamaha but you can get the Denon easily & you'll have a choice of colours - Yamaha only in titanium at the moment. This means that the Denon will possibly cost you less even though the RRP is higher.

I've had the 1400 for a few weeks now & it is great with movies & TV (PLIIx as well which is nice). Handles everything I've thrown at it - I even borrowed brother in laws Queen DVD to check out DTS 96/24 which sounded good but I couldn't tell how good since there's only one mulichannel option on the disc - haven't checked to see if the 96/24 can be toggled on/off on the amp though, something to play with this afternoon.

Autosetup / Eq is great, Audio Delay does what it should and the componenet upsampling works as you'd expect.

My sole criteria was av performance since I use an integrated amp for stereo & I felt the yamaha definitely bested the Denon in this area, so for me it was a no brainer.

8. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    This is the route I am going down... Even though my gear is a bit older/cheaper I'm still glad I went with the Yamaha for AV stuff. It is a bit bright playing CD's (especially in the DVD player) although the recent purchase of a second hand Alpha CD has helped somewhat.

I wasn't convinced that I would need two seperate systems (AV & Hi-Fi) but after taking the plunge and starting on it, I don't think it will be long before I have a Rotal/Arcam pre & power amp setup working with the CD player. I am going down the second hand route with this so keep watching Ebay and the classifieds on here!

9. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that having invested in AV gear to play DVDs, you then re-discover love of music, and hence CDs. So, then, when you have DVDplayer + AVamp, and you want good music sound from your CDs, you have a choice:

1) Do you buy a dedicated CD player and play it through the AVamp
    2) Do you spin CDs on the DVDplayer and play it through a dedicated stereo amp (connected via pre-outs from AVamp so you can use the same speakers)
    3) do both
    or
    2a) add a separate DAC (digital analogue converter) between the DVDplayer and the dedicated stereo amp - ie you use the DVDplayer as a CD transport and take the digital output into the DAC.

Such a DAC should deliver a sweeter sound.

That was where I was in this music vs AV some 12/16 months ago. There is a lot about DACs on the HiFi section on AVForums. The 2(b) option is to get a dedicated CD transport ... and so it goes. There are s/h DACs for sale on e-bay and elsewhere - and I should declare an interest, as I have two for sale myself, ** now advertised in the Classifieds ** , the Meridian 203 and its big brother the Meridian 606. Both, acquired by me over the past year in my upgrading, are 10 years old but in very good nick. I'll leave it to others to comment on my particular offerings - my point is that there are several ways to find what I dared to call 'musicality' A search on that would give you some interesting reading on threads here.

Enjoy the music

10. garylisa

garylisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spent three days testing 3803 against yam1400 in three different suppliers cinema rooms. I eventually opted for yam 1400, more features and excellent auto setup. over the moon with system and could'nt recommend enough.

11. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Still not sure about something on the yamaha. It has zone 2 outputs for audio but not video. Is it like the denon in that the rec out channel is the zone 2 channel? If so then the video out from VCR2 could be used in zone 2 and hence you can have audio and video in zone 2. My denon does this even though it only has audio out to zone 2. If I were to change to yamaha, I would need video as well. I have asked this question before but no answers were forthcoming. Not sure if I've expressed myself well enough.

12. shaktti

shaktti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been looking into what receiver to purchase. My current system comprises of the following;

B&W 603S2 (front)
    B&W LCR600S2 (cntr)
    B&W ???? (rears)

I am able to purchase a Pioneer 2011 for a mere £600. I was about to purchase this against the Denon 3803 but then came along a review of the Yamaha RX-V1400RDS.

I have been warned that the combination of my B&W's and Pioneer will result in a "in-your-face" setup. This, I don't want.
    This receiver will undertake music and movie tasks.

One other thing. Can you bi-amp using the (if un-used) rear centre speakers as you can with the Pioneer?

Any suggestions..........please?

13. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DarT,

I personally like the warmer / richer sound of the 3803, he RXV 1400 was bright in movie mode and very tinny with audio CD/SACD.

I bought the RXV1400 but within 24 hours took it back and got the cheaper 3803 purely on sound alone, the cost saving was an added benefit.

see also my post at: http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108908

If you get the RXV1400 from the likes of hificomponents.de for £480 ish then its a good unit but in my ears opinion it's not worth the £750 ish UK dealers are wanting for it.

Regards,

Chris L.

14. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is there such a difference in price on the Yamaha RXV 1400 model in the UK? Its £480 ish in europe (same model with same Yam warranty)its USA equivelent model is £379.15($699.95)
    but in the UK the cheapest i have seen it advertised is £699.95 with a mrrp of £799.95!
    Yes it seems to be worth every penny ,yes its great spec but why such a massive price difference?It seems £500.00 is a fair UK price compared to the other countries is it just thats what they can get for it?

15. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I would order a Yammy 1400 from Germany if not for the 30 days wait on it :(

16. Lez

Lez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I ordered the next model up (2400) mid January & I'm still waiting & no date in sight, perhaps I would of been better off ordering from hificomponents.de, I might of had it by now & at half the price.

The other thing to mention is the AX5 does not have Prologic IIX

Lez