Answered Denon or Yamaha, 9 channel receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tebbo65, Feb 1, 2018.

1. tebbo65

tebbo65

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Hi all,
      I'm want to upgrade my Denon x2300w to a 9 channel receiver. I'm set on the Denon x4400h but several retailers are trying to push Yamaha's being punchier? I'm thinking a sales pitch going on so would appreciate your expert views.
      For info I'm planning a 5.1.4 set up using full range speakers high on the wall ceiling height (can't do in ceiling and after auditioning Elac A4's which were rubbish, no bouncy house for me). Pointing at the MLP. I know this is not Dolby recommended but I've heard this set up and it was amazing, the bubble of sound was great but with lots more directional effects, which is what I want!
      Room is 6m x 4m with 10ft ceilings,
      cheers Tebbo

2. Best Answer:
      Post #2 by Rambles, Feb 1, 2018 (1 points)
    3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,413
      Best Answer
      I have owned a Denon and a Yamaha AVR. I still have a Yamaha in a second room.
      If I were buying now for a 5.1.4 set-up I would go for a Denon.

The Yamaha's have good build quality, lots of features, and their own DSP settings, so you get a lot of upmixing and sound processing options. The room correction, YPAO, is quite basic, plus there is an issue with power output. On bench tests it drives 5 speakers quite respectfully at around 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, but when you add 2 more speakers, the power output drops to around 50 watts per channel. Not a problem if you are planning on using external amplification, but if planning on running 9 speakers from the AVR, that may be an issue.

The Denon has better room correction with Audyssey, and with the app, it is very customisable. Plus the power output is more consistent, so it should manage 100 watts into 5 speakers, and only drop by 10 / 20 watts or so if driving 7 or 9 speakers.

4. tebbo65

tebbo65

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Thanks so much. Makes perfect sense especially as my 4 highs are going to be full range.
      If all s 6 surrounds are 6 ohm and the L,R + centre 8 ohm, would the Denon still be okay?
      cheers

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    5. tomstephens89

tomstephens89

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      I upgraded from a Yamaha RX series a couple of years ago to a Denon AVR-X1200W. The Denon blew it out of the water. Absoluteley crushed it.

I now have a Denon AVR-X3300W and its the dogs nuts. Very powerful, loads of features, excellent sound quality. What more could you ask for?

We still have a Yamaha at the office, its weak in comparison.

6. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +217
      If your denon "absolutely crushed" a Yamaha you probably didn't have it set up correctly, or the room correction was way off and needed further work. That or the Yamaha is just plain faulty.
      Denon , marantz , Yamaha etc all make great receivers , I had a Yamaha years ago (a595a) then marantz, then a denon 2809 for years and really enjoyed that , but recently went back to Yamaha with an aventage RXA1070.

Although the Denon was very accurate and detailed, it sounds a bit dull compared to the Yamaha, what I mean is, there was a definite improvement is sound steering and scale with the Yamaha, and just a general feeling of being a more more involving sound.

I will add that the movie DSP modes are very good on the Yamaha, not just a after thought and can really add to the surround experience if set up correctly.

The Denons of today of course may of improved over my older 2809 , however I'm sure it's relative to Yamaha also improving too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    7. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +217
      Just to add, the multi point YPAO was far more effective on the new Yamaha in our 6x4m living room than the audyssey (also multi point )on the denon no matter how many times a ran audyssey.
      The audyssey on the denon just always produced a muddy sound with an overbearing bass that I hated, I used my own manual calibrations and it sounded much better.

However this may of also improved on the denons/marantz models of today.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,047
      I've previously owned Yamaha and Denon flagship amps (Yamaha RX-A3050 my last one), but now have a Marantz SR8012. Marantz and Denon are usually very similar since they are sister companies.

My view is broadly inline with general concensus, and its not just 'following the trend'. Yamaha's sound is definitely better with movies, while Denon & Marantz sound better with music.

I can't explain why, but Denon & Marantz definitely sound more like HiFi equipment to me.
      With movies, Yamaha sound more open and impressive without sounding harsh.

Both are great ... its very difficult to buy a poor receiver these days.
      If the above doesn't help, then features and build quality come into play.

Yamaha have a good reliability rating are probably slightly better built until you reach the flagship end where its more even.

Features are vast in both, but sometimes a certain operational 'quirk' can be the deciding factor.

- Yamaha's annoyingly have a 'global' audio delay (lip sync) memory, whilst Denon/Marantz is on an input basis. That's a big win for Denon/Marantz in my view.

- Yamaha's also don't stay in Pure Direct mode after a power recycle. Denon/Marantz modes do.

- Audessey / YPAU for me is tough to call. I actually think Yamaha is less agressive and that's preferable to me.

On balance I'd probably lean slightly more towards Denon/Marantz, but if your main purpose is movies rather than music, I'd go for Yamaha.

9. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +217
      A good balanced point of view there Jules.

That's one of the reasons that swung me back over to Yamaha, the movie sound quality.
      Back in the early 2000s I missed great stereo sound so went with marantz as they sounded great for both .
      For a good few years now (10ish) I've had a separate stereo amp that takes care of my music , so I didn't need to look for an amp that has outstanding stereo sound, such as a marantz.
      So I went for what sounded the best for movies which is where the Denon and then the new Yamaha came in.

I think if wanting great sound quality that covers both movies and music then marantz would remain my preferred choice over Denon.

10. laser

laser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +46
      I recently decided to updated my Yamaha 1067 receiver.

Wanted a 11 channel receiver but models were limited and way out of my bracket.

However, I managed to pick up a Denon 6300H 11 channel receiver for £999.99 instead of £2200 on 2nd Jan.

I have also noticed that you can pick up the 4300H for £799.99. A big saving on the 4400H.

This might be worth considering if you are after a 4400H.

Incidentally the 4300H and 6300H also support Dolby Vision now.

Although my Yamaha 1067 was a great receiver the Denon, sonically, is much better for me. I find it has better bass, I guess sounds more neutral than the Yamaha. Not sure how much is perceived but I'm very happy with my Denon.

I'm glad I went for the 11 channels in the end. Although I have not mounted speakers in the ceiling I use some compact cube speakers and have mounted them very close the ceiling, pointing down. I seems to work quite well and is certainly a noticeable improvement on the previous 7 channel Yamaha setup.

11. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +963
      @tebbo65 You'll see from my signature that I have two Denon and two Yamaha receivers, though not the particular models that you are considering. To be honest, I'm not sure that I could distinguish between the Denon and Yamaha models, particularly between the ones in my bedrooms which are almost exactly equivalent, in a blind test. Maybe the Denons send slightly more punch to the .1 or LFE channel, but that's about it.

12. nheather

nheather
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,310
      Don’t feel qualified to answer on a technical basis but having owned two Denon (7 channel) and one Yamaha (7 channel) if I were buying again it would definitely be a Denon.

Not on a technical basis, I’m not skilled enough to tell the difference but on aethestics, ease of use, build quality and customer support.

I find the Denons look nicer, convey information on the display better, are easier to configure. But most importantly my Yamaha had a repeatable and demonstrable fault. Yamaha simply ignorred me when I contacted them. I attempted a fix through Richer Sounds - they would good about it but the repair agents were slow and sent it back saying it was fixed but had exactly the same problem - even though I had included precise instructions on how to replicate the problem and included a video of me demonstrating the bottom. As far as I was concerned they had kept it for two months having done nothing and when chased up simply sent it back not even having looked at it but saying it was fixed. Richer Sounds provided a replacement but by then the next year’s model was out so I had to pay extra to make up the difference. For this reason I would never touch anthing from Yamaha.

My two Denons are getting old now but are bomb proof and have never missed a beat.

Cheers,

Nigel

13. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      Very satisfied with my Denon AVR X4400H having previously owned a Yamaha RX-V1700. Audyssey set up has done a good job and brought new life to my setup. SSAV currently have it on offer for £969.

14. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +91
      Both brands are well respected and for good reason. I know which I'd go for personally having a bad experience with one of them but as much as that would sway my choice I'm sure there will be others that have had the opposite experience and would go the other way!!

As such for someone that's neutral such as yourself I'd say your in the great position of not being biased by anything other than what you hear so how about going to somewhere like Richer Sounds and at the least getting a demo of them or better still asking if they've got shop units that you can try out (assuring them that it will one way or another lead to a sale) at home? It might mean a few trips back and forth and a bit of time setting them up, but having an amp at the centre of your set up that each time you switch it on fills your room with sound that you're happy with is IMO a true AV joy :).

15. tebbo65

tebbo65

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      To all that have responded with superb view points and informed opinions, thank you :thumbsup:..
      I went for the Denon x4400h today. I am familiar with Denon & Audyssey and the power swayed it for me as it will be driving 9 full range speakers.
      Got a £969 price match and a £250 trade in on my X2300w which I thought was fair and less hassle. Brucey Bonus is I'll definitely be claiming my Richer Sounds extended warranty in 3 and a half years time!
      Cheers for all your help and Advice.
      Only problem now is it's the wife's 40th on Sunday and seeing as I've also ordered a BK XXLS400, I've got £3.53 to spend on a meal, gift and card......lol:rolleyes:

16. laser

laser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +46
      Crank up the volume and enjoy :)

17. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +177
      Good choice. A year and my 4300 still amazes me

18. TarPot

TarPot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +273
      John Wick at reference will sound great, eh Tebbo?!?!

19. tebbo65

tebbo65

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      If I want any flippin hearing left.....:smashin:

20. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +177
      I can watch that film over and over. In fact I will after hockey!