1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon or Sony?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by spookster, Jan 16, 2005.

1. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi,

Wonderful little forum, which I am glad I have discovered. Need some advice and looks like I should be able to get it here.

I'm looking to buy a home cinema system within the next 2 weeks (along with a tv).

The tv I'm getting is a Sony KV32CS70.

The problem I have is deciding what cinema system to get.

I see the Denon DHT500SDMR is getting rave reviews on this site, but I am unsure of a couple of things.

Firstly, the progressive scan feature. I take it this is redundant on anything other than a HDTV? I take it this feature wont be something that will work on the tv I'm getting?

Also, not overly keen on the speakers (silly thing to say, I know).

Now, I've been looking around for other systems and came across the Sony DAVSR4WMR.

Anyone have any opinions on this system?

Are wireless speakers risky? Is there a huge difference in quality of sound?

£500 - £550 is my budget.

I'm keen on the sony system, basically because I've been told its pretty decent and the speakers will suit my living room.

I'm actually moving into my flat, and also plan to get sky+.......so I want to make the right choices really.

Someone told me that the sony system is overkill.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

The site I am looking to buy from is prcdirect.co.uk (if you want to check out the other systems on offer)

thanks,

s

2. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    oh, and another question:

I know the 500 isnt upgradable to 6.1 / 7.1 - is the Sony version ready for any upgrades?

3. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The 500 IS upgradable to 6.1/7.1...I believe you need an additional amp and would guess the Sony would be the same.

Progressive Scan requires Component connections, typically found on LCD/Plasma screens.

Speaker design is personal choice I guess. I can certainly vouch for the quality of the Denon ones, both in terms of build and performance. Very discreet too - they do not dominate the room, yet are plenty powerful enough

I looked at the Sony models before going for the Denon. The 500 won in every area for me - build, quality, performance, design and the fact that it will last me years. Still yet to take the plunge and get a flat screen ;)

4. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Just to confirm...........

I had my reservations regarding the "look" of the speaker system that came with the Denon. Wasn't sure about all the wood and seriously considered having them resprayed, but once in situ they don't look bad at all. Problem is I had only ever seen them in pictures of the system all lumped together, and the same when I looked in my local store, the speakers were all together and all that wood gave me the impression of "overkill". As I say, once set up they just blend into the background and the build quality of them is first class.
    Wouldn't worry too much about the inability to use progressive scan on your TV. I have the same situation with my set up, but to be honest the picture quality via scart connection is also spot on. Handy to have the progressive scan feature though for when I do eventually go the LCD route.
    I bought my system based on the reviews I had read in magazines and the favourable reports by owners on this forum and I must say I am very impressed with it. I moved down (some would say!!) from a very reasonable seperates system to get this all in one and haven't really been disappointed.
    The sound quality is not quite as good as my previous kit when listening to music but the output when watching DVD's is tremendous.
    And can confirm that the system CAN be upgraded to 7.1
    Hope this helps
    Rob

PS Pete Tyson are offering the Denon at 399 (or twenty quid more for the multiregion upgrade) and I, (as well as many others on the forum) can vouch for the first class service offered by these guys.

5. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    guys, thanks for the replies.

does seem like the denon 500 is the way to go.

i take it then that quality wise, its superior to the sony model i've noted above?

i'm attempting to weigh up the pros and cons for the two systems.

with regards to the denon model - do i need to purchase any thing else with it?

optical switch? speaker wall stands? (which is obviously something I will need).

any other bits and pieces?

6. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Yep - I ordered mine from them the same day Carlisle (where they are based) got hit by all the floods. Still got it bang on time. The £100 saving over the Sony makes it a bargain, imho.

Sony would normally be my brand of choice (everything else I have is Sony :cool: ) but I really do not think they have anything to compete with the 500 at that price.

7. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You could also look at the Denon 550, thats £550 at superfi.co.uk

Mine should be here tomorrow (was sent Friday with Parcelforce 24).

8. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    £550? thats within my budget. I'll check out that site now. Hows the general service from superfi?

9. Ciaran500

Ciaran500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon has one optical in and one optical out. Whether you need an optical switch depends on what equipment you have.

Stands for these speakers are hard the find as the screw holes are on the bottom of the speaker. I used L brackets to put the on the wall.

I can't think of anything else other than whatever cables you need.

10. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Seems ok. I ordered last Sunday and it took a few days to dispatch it(ie Friday) but they send it Parcelforce 24 so shouldnt take long whenever its sent.

11. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

hi ciaran,

sorry if i came across as a complete fool with all these questions (this is the first home cinema kit i will own, and i am far from being experienced in these matters).

regarding the one optical in and one optical out; basically all i will really have is sky+.

regarding the cables i might need - is this for the rear speakers?

12. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  13. Ciaran500

Ciaran500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries, the 500SD was my first kit to.

I'm not familar with sky+ box if its available optical will be the best way to hook it to the Denon.

It comes with 4x3m cable for fronts, centre and sub and 2x10m cables for the rears. The cables I meant were for hooking it up to the TV.

14. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    right. thanks.

any recommendations on the cables i need to get for the 550 or 550 for the sony tv i mentioned in my original post?

also, what does the 550 have over the 500 (i know alot of people are saying for value the 500 is better)

15. Ciaran500

Ciaran500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 550 has an active sub and a seperate amp, but you will have to ask someone else what this means.

Those maplin stands look perfect depending on the gap between the screw holes.

As for cables any decent quality scart should do you, your not going to notice the difference between a £20 cable and £100 cable at this level.

16. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
  17. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The 550 was going to be over kill in my 4M square living room. The 500 more than fills the room with sound. Passive sub does a more than adequate job in this room size and could handle a far bigger space with ease.

18. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    cheers Conn.

well, i suppose all thats left for me to do is decide on whether its gonna be a 500 or a 550. it would be silly to go for anything other than a denon (sorry sony).

i'm gonna get 4 speaker stands from maplins, a gold scart lead (for connection to the tv).

sky+ has optical, but i'm guessing that connector will come with the box.

i dont move into my flat until the end of the month, but i would rather order sooner rather than later.

19. Ciaran500

Ciaran500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only one cable comes in the box, a phono-phono cable.

20. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Speaker stands was the one thing that held me off getting the Denon earlier. I got round the problem by using two corner display units from Homebase for the rears and two DVD cabinets for the fronts (also Homebase). Works a treat. Particular to my room maybe but its worth thinking "outside the box" for the ideal solution. In this instance it keeps the Mrs. happy and makes the speakers far more toddler proof...or if you prefer, drunken accident proof :D

21. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    ha! i'm thankful that i am unattached at the moment. cause i doubt i could splash out money on electronics without first thinking about furniture, lol.

you can see i have my priorities right :)

22. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    another question:

how does the denon fair with regards to playing cd's (music)?

i'm into electronic music (progressive house, tech-house etc).

23. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    right. i've decided on a 550. thanks for all the info.

just need to decide on where now. superfi look a good bet.

what kind of warranty do you guys recommend generally for the denon? is 5 years overkill?

24. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The 500 was listed as better value over the 550 in a magazine were they indicated there was a £250 price difference....in reality the price difference is around £150 so is the 550 worth it now? up to the buyer really.

The 550 has seperate dvd player and amp and active (ie powered which is better) over the 500's passive (non-powered) sub. The 550 also has more inputs/outputs than the 500.

EDIT

I've just gone for manufacturers warranty from Denon when i ordered from superfi. qed-uk.co.uk is slightly cheaper than superfi on purchase price but they charge P&P so takes it to just over £550.
    I also went for a QED P2110 (1m) and P2105 (0.5m) scart cables for my setup, these are pretty cheap as far as quality scart cables go and have won a '2004 award' for best scart cable.

http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2388/v/781ecf4b-11e4-4b13-9d26-9927cd097b29

Also i believe the 550 comes with an optical cable but this is for connecting the dvd player to the amp so if u wanted to get 5.1 from Sky+ u will need to order an optical cable.

25. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I am sure I read somewhere that Denon come with two years anyway.

As someone who used to sell extended warranties....I would never waste my money on them. Ever.

Worth looking at how you are supposed to get your faulty item back to your e-retailer. For example, Peter Tyson are rare in that they pay for all carriage costs within the garantee period.

26. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    See this is the thing that confuses me with the warranty.

With the denon, lets say I purchase it from superfi - and I do not pay for a warranty supplied to me by superfi - I still get the 2 year one?

Is the extended warranty not worth it cause nothing is likely to happen?

27. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    IMO the warranty isnt worth it and if its going to go wrong it will be wrong out of the box or very soon thereafter.

28. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Thanks.

Any specific optical cable I should go for, for sky+?

UPDATE

okay, found the cable i need.

29. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Ok...Happy for anyone to correct this as it is a few years since I sold electrical gear...

The responsibility for in-warranty repairs sits with the retailer who you bought it from. Some manufacturers will take responsibilty, but your actual legal contract is with the retailer. How they do this is up to them - Some use their own repairers (eg taking your PC back to PC world), some use the manufacturer (eg Hotpoint coming out to your washing machine). Some call out to you, some want you to return the item (possibly at your own expense). So it is important to know how your retailer handles these things, especially when buying over the net when you are unlikely to be just around the corner from them.

As for extending the warranty - think about how technology has moved on in the last 5 years. The first DVD players had just come out and they cost +£400...with few of the features available now on a £50 machine. They are just not cost effective given the way the technology progresses. The statistical chance of a unit breaking down on day one or day one thousand is identical.

30. Kingmob04

Kingmob04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wires for the speakers. Should they be compatible for all tvs?

I'm a hairs breadth from buying the Denon 500 and I'm trying to make sure, sure, sure.

Also, who with superfi or peter tyson. I know superfi has the best price, but I hear Peter Tyson could save you money later in terms of pick up if there's any problems?