Denon or Oppo or ? for these requirements :

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BeelzebubUK, Oct 7, 2005.

1. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    OK

Have been pretty much set on a Denon 1920 but considering the following requirements would anyone recommend anything else for the £200 mark :

I'd like DVI/HDMI with HDCP
    Also Component out as well
    Digital output via Coax
    Need Progressive Scan

Do not require upscaling as its going through a Lumagen DVI scaler

Do not require DVD-A or SACD (just really don't think I'll use it)

Do not require DivX as I use my Xbox via Component to stream stuff from my PC

I already have an Arcam Alpha 7 CD player....does anyone have any idea whether I should keep this for CD playback or is there a DVD player that would give a better output ?

So it seems to me that theres several features of the Denon that I don't need and the only possible redeeming feature would be its audio quality compared to my Arcam. Off the top of my head I can only think of the Oppo as a serious contender.....any other suggestions or am I still better off going with the Denon 1920 ?

2. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the Oppo does progressive scan over component. Should be fine over DVI or HDMI. Also, not that it really matters, but the Oppo is not DHCP enabled so it will work with either HDCP or non-HDCP displays. I can't tell you much about the Denon but I've just read about a million pages about the Oppo before I ordered one! :D It could arrive in the morning so if you need any info about it that you can't find on here, just ask.

Good luck with your decision.

Simon

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Why do you need HDMI and component? Is it to test and see which you prefer, cover all bases idea?

Why are after PS on a cheap player if you have a Lumagen?

Why not look for a HDMI player capable of transfer 480i / 576i to the Lumagen, does anyone know of a cheap <£200 one? Did the Panny 97 do that?

Reading between the lines an oppo might do here for most of it (no experience here personally) and the Denon might also (same again).

Cheap component out players like the Pioneer 575 and alrounder Tosh 350 mght also be worth a peak.

4. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the new Tosh deliver HDMI on the cheap? It's around £80 IIRC

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    yes

6. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The OPDV971H Is not HDCP compliant.
    The OPDV971H does not do progressive out from the component
    The OPDV971H does progressive scan through the DVI output (480p/576p)
    Optical and Coaxial out are on the OPDV971H.

I would personaly not recommend the OPDV971H since you have your own scaler that can do all the grunt work. With the OPDv971H not properly supporting PAL (at the moment) and the macroblocking induced by the Faroudja chipset, you are better off going with the Denon 1902.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Though I don't disagree with your conclusion that the Oppo seems overkill if you already have a dedicated scaler, I find it bizarre that you then recommend a more expensive player instead (esp as they specifically say SACD isn't req'd)! Surely something like the Tosh 350 would be worth trying?

Also, the Oppo does support PAL well enough for many displays and I think you can add 720p to the list of prog scan resolutions...PJ

PS As far as the Oppo goes my comment on macroblocking would be what is it? ;)

PPS It not being HDCP enabled is a bonus!

8. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah ideally I'd want to try out both outputs on whatever player I went for to see which I preferred.
    Do you mean theres no need for Progressive Scan if its going through a scaler as the scaler will convert if necessary ? Is it better to have interlaced to the scaler ? You'll have to excuse my ignorance....most of this is new to me still.
    I'll look into it
    From what you've said so far I'm beginning to rule out both of these now :)
    If I was to choose I'd probably rather have Component than HDMI/DVI as from what I've read so far most people seem to find Component gives a preferable picture (obviously thats down to personal taste though). So they are both worth looking at.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Most appreciated.

9. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Am I right in saying that the upscaling players only upscale if outputting via HDMI but don't if outputting via Component ?

10. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If it makes it easier what if I just say I need a good DVD player that has reasonable CD playback and I will be connecting it to a Lumagen DVI scaler.

If you have a budget of £250 - what would you buy ? :)

P.S - I've had a look at the Panny 97 and it appears to be a good all rounder but couldn't confirm if it does output 480i / 576i - is that important ?

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    generally yes

Good value players (<£200) ofen have compromised analogue stages, which is why cheap digital often looks / sounds better, when compared with better ('more expensive?') players then this difference goes apidly.

The Lumagen device you have (DVI?) has great capabilities not just to do the deinterlacing and scaling but to really get the best out of the signal. (and yes the deinterlacing is better in the Lumagen than these players but this is only part of the thing). It is quality kit, real quality. It is in a completely different league to the players you are talking about here.

If you can get a 480i/576i input from DVI / HDMI (check this Lumagen recognises it) then you will be using the processor to it's best with great deinterlacing as well with a digital connection. Pretty close to SDI link. This is the ideal. I am not sure I have seen it being done at this level before (normally something like ab 868 Pioneer or Arcam 79) but is is a great solution. If this ispossible your player will be a digital transport with all the important video processing happening in th Lumagen, which is the perfect solution for you.

PS You asked a great question here, this is how everyone should pick a player. :clap: Decide what you want / need and look at the options.

12. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well.....doesn't look like I'll get that with either the Denon or the Oppo.

I'm beginning to realise that compared to the Lumagen and the 42PHD8 panel that I'll be getting the DVD player may be the weak link in the chain.

The reason for the £200ish budget was because I didn't want to spend a lot of money and then in a couple of years be swapping it for a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player.

I know its doubling my budget but will the Pioneer DV686AV output in 480i/576i ?

Or how about the Denon 2910 - That would also mean I could get rid of the Arcam CD player for a few pennies towards it.

I'd rather spend the extra £200 and not sit there thinking what if..... :)

13. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Oh and the Lumagen DVI does accept 480i/576i on the DVI input :clap:

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    jus need to find a cheap player to gibe HDMI interlaced now :)