1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Or Onkyo 989?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by infomatique, Mar 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to decide between the Onkyo 989 and the Denon AISE (complete with upgrade). There is a big difference in price. Can anyone offer any reason why I should go with the Denon. Please don’t suggest that I wait for the new Denon as it will been outside my budget

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,732
    I´ve got the Denon myself and its a superb amp and am looking forward to the upgrade.

I´ve not heard the Onkyo myself so have no direct comparison.
    I have heard good things about it though.

As with all things, have a demo and go with what you think best suits you.

If you like the sound of the Denon now then in theory it should be better when upgraded (better DAC´s etc etc)

3. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately as I live in Dublin there is no way that I can compare these units.

A local dealer quoted my Euro 5200 for the Onkyo and was not in a position to demo it ... they got very annoyed when I pointed out that I can import it from Germany fot Euro 2800 or less.

Richersounds appear to be the Denon distributor in Dublin ... they had none in stock and were not very interested, anyway the don't have demo facilities.

Anyway thanks for your comments ... on balance I am likely to go with the Denon.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would buy the Onkyo plus an external power for the front channels...

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've got the DENON too and it's a great amp. Im sure the Onkyo is too. Shame you can’t demo them.

6. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand the logic to this suggestion. Does the ONKYO not have sufficient power?

I forgot to mention that I am also buying an SACD unit ... would it not be best to have all channels equal?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep an eye out for the new Pioneer AX10 that was previewed in the March issue. Cost in pounds was quoted at around £2800.00.

Mahmood

8. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering this unit but it lacks one important feature which both the upgraded Denon and the Onkyo have ... "Audio Delay" to resolve lip sync problems that I have because I use an I-SCAN PRO (this is not the same as the speaker delay feature which the Pioneer does have in common with the other units however I am told that this feature might resolve the problem in a round-about way). £2800 is about Euro 4666 which is about Euro 1000 above what I had originally intended to spend ... I can get the Onkyo at Euro 2700 or the upgraded Denon at leas than 4000 Euro.

Despite the above your suggestion is a very good one.

9. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi.
    £2800 is alot for a Pioneer.What really bugs me with Pioneer is the huge discounts that can be had in a years time after release.
    Just look at what there amps go for now Vsx909 £400ish E08 £600 odd, this retailed at £1600 at one point.
    Have you read the US magazine reports on the Onkyo? It is so rated.Odd that no one on this forum is a user.
    If you require any links for reviews just say.
    If phoned Jamo( Onkyo people in the Uk) to ask about the upgrade policy on the 989.The last upgrade which was software only I think,was free for a while now they charge £60.Not too bad I guess.
    The only problems I have read about is fan noise,but that is now sorted.
    Gary

10. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would appreciate links to reviews.
    Current Onkyo 989 include the upgrade and I believe that the fan problem has been resolved. I agree with you ... Onkyo appears to be more popular in the US.

11. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
  12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The big Onkyo is very good. I listened to this amp in Sevenoaks Newcastle, and it was great. They had it hooked up to a suite of M&K speakers (LCR 750's and MX125 sub, I think), using an Arcam DV88 player. The big Onk. has received some good reviews, but the release shortly afterwards of the Denon A1SE (wrongly?) overshadowed this quite impressive amp. I have said this before, but Onkyo seem to be much better prepared for upgrade paths than Denon too.

Russell