1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon or Cambridge Audio receiver for Naim system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by delta99, Aug 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. delta99

delta99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in the market for an av receiver in the £250 - £350 price range. It will be used for movies only - for music I have a mid-range Naim system (and no, unfortunately I can't afford the £4000 Naim option :rolleyes: !). I am moving up from an old integrated Sony S500 so a lot of this stuff is new to me!

I am thinking of using the Naim system for the main left / right - I understand that I can do that by taking the pre-outs from the av receiver into my Naim pre-amp? Will that work well and is that the best way to do it?

I've been looking at the Cambridge Audio 540R and Denon 1906 and 2106. I've heard about the 'lip-sync' issue so I favour one of the Denons as they have that feature. The CA is supposed to be good for stereo but that is obviously not important to me. Another consideration is the size (the height!) of the units as it has to fit on a certain shelf. The CA is the least tall followed by 1906 and 2106.

Looking at the specs for the 1906 vs 2106 there is hardly any difference - all I can see is that the 2106 has another 10W or so of power per channel which I wouldn't have thought is going to make a big difference, especially the way I intend to use it? Or have I missed something? My current preferred option is the 1906 ...

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom.

2. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to have a Naim stereo setup and used the venerable Yamaha DSPE800 for the 3 other channels. It worked admirably (and offered lip-synch adjustment). You could pick one of those up on E-Bay for £80 or so and it is not too tall compared to the receivers (which include a tuner and two more channels of amplification).