• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon or Arcam

NigelEds

Novice Member
Hi I have just sold my Arcam AVR450.

I am looking to replace this with either an Arcam AVR550 or a Denon AVC X6500H.

I really liked the sound of my old Arcam 450 but it would not switch 4k inputs.. Both of the above are avalable as open box products from Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson respectively.

I currently have Linn Av5140 and AV 5120 speakers but plan to upgarde to something like Monitor Audio Golds in the near future.

Thoughts please

D

Deleted member 39241

If sound quality is your priority, go for the Arcam.
If features are your priority, then go for the Denon.

I've had / still have both ( different rooms). It was a lot more fiddly to get the Arcam configured for optimal sound and usage in my room. But I'm glad I stuck with it, as it sounds superb for films and music, and now I have stopped fiddling with it, it is reliable and easy to live with.

gibbsy

I have the Denon 6500. It's a very good reliable performer for film and TV but if stereo music is anything of a priority go for the Arcam. You would need a stereo amp with HT by-pass for music but the Denon would give you a trouble free ride.

SeanBrothers

I keep reading that Denon AV receivers are no good for music. Is it the preprocessing or the amplification or both that makes it so. i.e. If I get a Denon AVR-4x00 and use a power amp for the front channels, will it sound better for music?

And what is it that Denon does to the music to make it subpar?

I'm a but nervous moving to Denon from Onkyo, but Onkyo is MIA.

StefanBFC

Arcam purely for sound quality. Only issue is handshake with remotes as mine is inside a unit. Apart from that its night and day compared to my Denon.

D

Deleted member 39241

I keep reading that Denon AV receivers are no good for music. Is it the preprocessing or the amplification or both that makes it so
Hard to say for sure, possibly it is the pre-amp and the DACs that aren't well designed / shielded in the chassis. The Denon 3600 specifically measured really well on Audio Science Review, so it is possible that not all Denon's are the same. Using it in pure direct mode with a decent external DAC may yield better results (or may not).
If I get a Denon AVR-4x00 and use a power amp for the front channels, will it sound better for music?
No. A power amp will give you more power / headroom for things to get louder. For better music you need a different pre-amp.

You could always use any stereo amp for music and share the front speakers with it and the Denon AVR via a speaker / amp switch.

gibbsy

I keep reading that Denon AV receivers are no good for music. Is it the preprocessing or the amplification or both that makes it so. i.e. If I get a Denon AVR-4x00 and use a power amp for the front channels, will it sound better for music?

And what is it that Denon does to the music to make it subpar?

I'm a but nervous moving to Denon from Onkyo, but Onkyo is MIA.
Most receivers are poor at stereo music. There are a lot of electronics in a small box so electrical interference is more possible. A stereo amp has a lot less in the chassis giving a much cleaner path. Some Denons have had better reviews of their music abillity. I suppose it depends on what you want from your music, my Denon certainly does not live up to my expectations.

As for power amps then it's the audio produced by the Denon's pre-amp circuit that is going to be amplified. A good power amp should amplify that audio without colouration. Basically a power won't improve on a poor audio source.

xSLYx

Hi I have just sold my Arcam AVR450.

I am looking to replace this with either an Arcam AVR550 or a Denon AVC X6500H.

I really liked the sound of my old Arcam 450 but it would not switch 4k inputs.. Both of the above are avalable as open box products from Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson respectively.

I currently have Linn Av5140 and AV 5120 speakers but plan to upgarde to something like Monitor Audio Golds in the near future.

Thoughts please
The new model denons all seem to measure better now, but Dirac with the arcam seems to be the deciding factor in adapting the sound to a room better than audessy, (for most not all)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom