Denon or Arcam or Pioneer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by highlander_777, Oct 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I currently have a sony 9000es connected to TAG and the new Sony 37 plasma that has the Alis screen. I was thinking of upgrading the dvd player, however everyone keeps banging on about the HDMI connectors. Well, that's all very well and good but only the pioneer and some sony's support some format.

Does that mean if your screen does not support HDMI then there is no point upgrading your dvd player

thoughts/comments :lease:

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Not unless you plan to upgrade in the future, or there is a deck out there that has HDMI and superior analog section(component) over what you already have.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    If your screen accepts DVI then you can use a HDMI to DVI lead to get the video to the screen. HDMI is only DVI with audio in a single lead.
    A digital video output on the DVD player is not the only thing to look for though. A new DVD player may well offer better picture & sound quality or you may want a player that can decode DVD-A &/or SACD etc. Many old DVD players will not play DVD+/-R(W) disks but most newer models will.
    All these are good reasons to upgrade and there are certainly a fair few more. But saying that, if you are happy with the results your player gives you then there is no need to upgrade.

Mark.

4. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the replies, however I still do not know if I should upgrade

For example, if I bought a Denon 3910 to replace my sony 9000es and connect via component (as I have no dvi or hdmi) then would I get a better pic + sound?

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    Or more to the point - would You notice an improvement with the pic+sound?

Nobody else here can answer that question for you. You need to get along to a dealer and demo a few different DVD players (home demos if possible) and compare them to your current DVD and see if you notice any difference.

Mark.