1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon on it's side?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Henry, Nov 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've been trying to tidy up all my kit into a cupboard, the only problem is my Denon AVC-10SE which is too wide and too deep. The only solution I can see (without forking out a lot of money on a new amp or cutting a hole into the wall) is to stand the amp vertically on it's side.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this and has anyone got their amp like this at the moment and have had problems?

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    well, I'm sure the manual will strongly advise you not to do this. No moving parts or "directional" parts inside, AFAIK, so I can't see what the problem would be.

Heat dispersion might be the main issue here. Can the amplifier "breathe" properly on it's side?

DT

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The problem would be with heat - there are no cooling fans in the amp as far as I am aware and so they work on the basis of convection (heat rising) - problems with putting it on its side is a) there are less vents or surface area on the side than the top so less space for the heat to leave the box b) the internal cooling methods used dont take into consideration other heat rising from other components inside as these are normally all on the same horizontal plane.

Saying all that I currently have my digibox on its side next to the TV as I have run out of room in the cabinate under the TV after a bit of over spending. I made sure that the 'hot bit' was upper most and I must say that the box is cooler in its new possition than it was when it was on the shelf.

End of the day, the manual says dont do it - if you do then it is at your own risk

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The biggest problem I would expect is that over time, large heavy items such as the transformer and heat sinks will become loose as they're obviously not designed to have lateral forces applied to them.

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Perhaps turn it over/round once a month or so to alleviate this problem?

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think the best idea would be to try it for a short while and see if you're happy with it. The recommendation is not to, but it's your equipment and you can do what you like!

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Turned it on it's side last night and nothing fell off and it still works. We'll see what happens. At least I can close the cupboard doors now.

Just got a Pronto remote to try and program this weekend and work out how the RF extended works! Marvellous!

8. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd keep an eye on it as the A10SE does have cooling fans (front and rear internally). These work in four stages depending on how hot the unit gets. It wasn't meant to be placed on it's side.

(1) No fans - passive cooling only.
    (2) Front fan on low speed.
    (3) Rear fan off, front fan on low speed.
    (4) Rear and front fan on high speed.

It uses the same "smart cooling" system of the Denon A1D which vents into the base. Also vents out of the top of the unit as well obviously. It's your Amp so do what you want but I'd be very cautious. :)