Denon Multiplayer.....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HighDeff, Sep 12, 2007.

1. HighDeff

HighDeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    :eek:

LU: Will that load the information to the disc's menu system?

JT: Most likely. I haven't seen it in true operation yet; once I get it, obviously, I'll know. But that's the premise. So you can have running pictures of the director, of the actors doing commentary or whatever other material the studio feels that they want to give you to make it a truly interactive experience. After that, it's standard Blu-ray. But there is a possibility — and this is maybe not so public knowledge — that when these discs come out that fit this new profile, they may not work properly with the Profile 1.0 players.

LU: Really?

JT: It’s a possibility, and that’s why we’re working very hard to make sure that our products will be okay with any previous discs and new discs.

Steve W

3. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Denon remains format-neutral

LU: Why did Denon go with Blu-ray rather than HD DVD?

JT: We decided to go Blu-ray because we found a partner that we can work with at this point in time quicker than we could to do HD DVD. We're not picking one format over the other — we want to make that very clear. We happen to have a partner that we've worked with for years, and they wanted to work with us first, and so it just was like a nice marriage. The door is wide open for HD DVD, and as many have said, the market's going to tell us where we need to go. In our particular instance, our goal is to have a true universal audio/video player. All audio formats, including SACD and DVD-Audio, as well as HD DVD and Blu-ray video.

LU: So you would consider doing a combo player with Blu-ray and HD DVD?

JT: That's probably our number one consideration at this point in time. They're just starting to come out from some of the major players — obviously, Samsung has introduced theirs. They'll be out this fall, while the LG player, you know, it's not a true HD DVD player — it's not a licensed HD DVD product. LG has to make their own logo, it doesn't display menus for movies, and all this other stuff. So Samsung's going to be the first true combo player. And hats off to them.

Cheers, Denon.

Steve W

4. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    It sounds like the Denon Blu-ray player is a short term product which will be replaced by a genuine dual format player next year once Profile 2.0 is sorted.

5. Owen824

Owen824

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    brilliant news. maybe by the time they come out i will have enough money to pay for one after paying off all my most recent home cinema purchases. :thumbsup:

6. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    My cinema room SD DVD player is a Denon.

To be able to replace it with a player that can spin everything would be wonderful.

Steve W

7. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Phew, that's a relief. I really hoped we'd see a decent company do dual format. Denon saying this gives me a comfortable feeling. But now their intentions are out, who is going to buy a Blu-ray only 1.1 player?

8. grumps

grumps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I guess if the players are firmware upgradeable to profile 2.0 people will buy them?

9. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Definitely.

I mean the announced BD player is what? $1,200?

A HD DVD player would be similar.

But a dual-format machine surely wouldn't be more than $1,500.

Given the uncertainty (or should that be certainty that we're in for a long haul with two formats), spending anything more than budget on a single-format player is exceptionally daft.

Steve W

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,421
    The Denon BluRay player will not be upgradeable to Profile 2.0 - it has no ethernet connection.

Have to admit I never doubted it. Surely a dual solution from high end companies is the only realistic solution? I mean we are not talking Xbox versus PlayStation here - most buyers of mid/high end kit want to watch all movies be it from Fox or Universal, Sony or Paramount. Denon's initial 'BluRay only' player struck me as nothing more than an intrim solution - an opportunity to claw back some of their R&D costs whilst developing the networking side for 2.0/HD DVD compatibility on their next player.

Agreed.

11. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    One of the most refreshing, non-fanboy statements of that interview is where he said well done to Sammy for having a genuine dual-format player.

This is clearly the future.

The real problem is that cheap models may come too late.

I might be happy with a £500 dual-format player. You might be.

But the number of players sold at this price will be limited. And will HMV keep stocking discs at the low level of sales this implies.

Many people (on both sides) say we need a 'winner' (and that could be BD, HD DVD, or Dual) by Christmas '08. b Will dual-format players be sub-£100 by Christmas '08?

Steve W

12. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    That'll do for me. :smashin:

13. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Doubt we will see anything from Denon until things are resolved.

Good marketing strategy, good involvement, good networking and keeps their ancestors happy.

14. nipbiplip

nipbiplip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +592
    Problem is it's a Denon.

It'll be about 8 grand.

15. jamesaevans

jamesaevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    So it looks like a profile 1.1 BluRay player, followed by a dual format profile 2.0 player next year. I am probably going to be purchasing a Denon amp in the next few months, so having a combined DVD, BlurRay and HD-DVD player to go along side it would be prefect.

With Sony announcing several BlurRay recorders in Japan recently, it can only be a matter of time before they are available here I the UK. It will probably take 12-18 months from the first models being introduced, for the recorders and media to be available at reasonable prices.

I am going to want a HD recorder of some sort, and ideally a single box that plays DVD, BlurRay and HD-DVD as well. I know the Denon do not currently produce a DVD recorder, but does anyone think that they may produce a BlurRay and/or HD-DVD recorder in the future?

16. ripclaw

ripclaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My main system has an Arcam DV139 player and my bedroom system has a Denon DVD-3930 player. I am happy with both, but if Denon can deliver a true, dual-format HD player with all the bells and whistles, then game on. :thumbsup:

I for one will wait and see what happens. Marantz and Denon are both owned by DM Holdings and if Marantz release an equivalent player, I will give that a fair shot over the Denon.

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,421
    I'm sure we'll see recorders here sooner or later - but I'm not to sure of your timescales. DVD recorders are actually quite a small percentage of the market (less than 20%) as PVRs have effectively become the recording format of choice. In Japan however HDD recorders are extremely popular - which is why Sony and Panasonic have had BluRay recorders out there since 2005. And why Toshiba also has 3 HD DVD recorders on sale there.

Odds are as soon as such recorders go on sale here Sky will adopt HDCP and 'copy prohibited/copy once' tags. Such things would make these devices quite unpopular IMHO. So the only real market here that will benefit from high def recorders are camcorder users. And I should imagine many of them will stick with the flexibility of the PC.

I think it very unlikely.

18. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Let's say we get HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc recorders.

Sky turn on HDCP, so you can't record in high def.

What's the point in the recorders?

:confused:

Steve W

19. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    maybe for recording your HD Home movies on... and ultra exciting stuff like that :rolleyes:

20. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    I'm in awe at the possibilities!

Steve W

21. jamesaevans

jamesaevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Well if we reach a point where BBC and ITV, C4 etc are shown in HD, then I expect that lots of users would like to be able to record these programs on a HD disc.

My personal view is the UK should have gone digital and HD at the same time. We are a couple of years ago from the digital swicth off, and then there will be a another wait for a HD switch over, with everyone complaining that they have just brought a new TV for freeview digital, but that it cannot recieve Freeview HD or whatever it gets called.:mad:

The other appication I see is being able to record lots of SD programs onto a single HD disc. I know DVDs are very cheap, but would like the convenience of having a single disc with more SD on it.

In terms of the HDCP protetcion, I am sure there will be away around this, either by having a component modified or fitting a HDCP removing device between the source and HD recorder, something like a HDMI switch. AnyDVD HD has already achieved this for HTPCs, so I don't see why this cannot happen for standalone devices.

22. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Which means 'security' on these discs is useless.

Right now, anyone can take one of these boxes (take HDCP HDMI out and convert it into component high def) and stick the HDMI out from any BD, HD DVD or broadcast, and stick it on a pirate disc.

And surely, they'll always be able to.

Steve W