Denon Multi Zone & 7.1 help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alexcord, Nov 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started playing around with the Multi Zone capabilites of my Denon 2805 amp on Sunday. I directly wired up two speakers to another room in the house and successfully managed to get them working on the second Zone with differing sources and full independant control.

The problem started when I then decided to wire up a rear-centre speaker to enable Dolby Pro Logic IIx. When I did the test tones I was amazed to discover the rear-centre tone was actually coming out of one of my "Zone 2" speakers and not the rear that I expected.

I then rewired the rear-centre speaker at the back of the amp and the test tones now work as does Dolby IIx. The problem is that with the "Zone 2" speakers wired into the only other available connectors on the back of the amp, I seem to have lost Zone2 completely. The manual does not really seem to help me out much.

Anybody got any advice??

Cheers

Alex

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I may be mistaken but I believe that when you get the receiver to do multi zone it reverts to 5.1 in the "main" zone. I believe this is the case with all current receivers, at least those at this price range.

3. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply and indeed you are correct. I just find it strange that the centre rear speaker then becomes one of the speakers that should be in the other Zone which is in another room! I am sure that I have probably wired it up incorrectly but just wondering if anybody had had the same issue and resolved it with something that I am missing.

Cheers

4. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    nope, it's 5.1 and second room or 7.1. You makes your choices.....

5. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

6. Rvxing

Rvxing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you refer to page 65 of the 2805 manual, it indicates that it can be configured to 7.1 @ main zone as well as zone 2 through zone 2 preout. However, you need an additional amp for zone 2. Your configuration shown in page 66 don't require the additional amp.