Denon/Marantz move to SACD??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kelvin, Sep 14, 2002.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Was just reading this thread on the agoraquest forums and a few people have commented on moves by Denon, Marantz and a few others to produce SACD machines - is there any truth in this??

If so, with most of the big names now backing SACD could this signify the end of DVD-A??

Kelvin.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marantz have made SACD players for several years. Denon don't make any at the moment, and I haven't heard anything about upcoming Denon SACD players, but it's certainly possible considering their merger with Marantz.

Even with greater support, I don't think this would signal the imminent demise of DVD-A.

Adam

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I didn't realise Marantz made SACD players... whoops! :blush: Thanks for correcting me though :)

I was just really curious as to others opinions on this - although I have SACD playback on my NS700, I have no massive interest in either DVD-A or SACD for general use. Until the prices on discs come down I think it's something which strictly, is going to stay in the "enthusiast arena". This said, I can see that there are large benefits in both formats and as such, the DVD-A/SACD war is something which interests me.

I personally think that if most of the major manufacturers are supporting SACD, DVD-A is something which will become less and less significant in the coming months/years. Certainly people will start to become more aware of SACD now that it is supported by Sony/Philips/Denon(supposedly!)/Marantz in comparison to DVD-A. Maybe that's too simplistic a view?

Kelvin.

4. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I say that this is not like Beta/ VHS as both SACD and DVD-A offer different things and can be on one machine.
    It seems from what I have read that SACD is slightly better on sound but imagine opera or music videos on DVD-A.
    The future may be multy format. Let the consumer decide.
    :eek:

5. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marantz was partly owned by Philips until the recent merger and they still retain a small stake in the new entity so it is not surprising that they supported SACD.

Denon are planning to market SACD units sometime next year (it is possible that the units will be SACD/DVD-Audio).

I am a SACD supporter but I don't agree that there has been a major change in support for either format and I believe that both formats a likely to co-exist for many years.