Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon link vs optical

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Endymion, Aug 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Endymion

Endymion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone comment on this please?
    My dealer has sold me an £80 optical cable to link my Denon DVD 3910 to my 3805 amp. I thought Denon link would handle all digital audio but I'm being told that DL 3rd edition will be best for SACD and DVD Audio and the rather expensive optical cable is the best route for DVD (film) audio. Reason being the Denon link cable is (only) CAT 5 and would not perform as well as optical.
    Sound reasonable?
    Thanks in advance

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hi

No, you don't need the optical cable if you have Denon Link. Denon Link is virtually jitter free and will give you the best signal transfer and quality for all signal formats. An 80 quid optical is ridiculous and the dealer is extracting the urine.

3. Endymion

Endymion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that.

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Stories like this make me *really* angry at dealers! I don't know whether they are actually corrupt, or just plain ignorant, but anyone with a fraction of engineering knowledge could tell you that the data bandwidth required for SACD or DVD-Audio is *much* higher than that for standard Dolby Digital or DTS, and a cable that can do the former will do the latter with no difficulty whatsoever.

And as Jase said, 80 quid for an optical cable is taking the p*ss under any circumstances.

I've never forgiven a certain well-known chain of hi-fi shops for informing my father that he required a 30 quid co-axial digital cable to connect his 40 quid Wharfedale DVD player to his 100 quid AV amp. Oddly enough, the one I made for him with 2 quid's worth of parts from Maplin seems to work just fine...

5. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Endymion,

I've had my 3805/3910 combo for about 9 months now and can safely say I find it very hard to find any major difference between the connections.

I'm still trying to decide whether CD performance is better via phono leads using the DACs in the 3910 or via Denon Link 3 using the DACs in the 3805... At the end of the day, I'm not using good enough speakers (they're Kef eggs, still great, but by no means proper hi-fi speakers) to pick out the level of detail I'm debating over. As such, I tend to just play CDs back via DL too.

I tried co-axial digital, optical digital and DL for DVD. In the end, DL was absolutely spot on. Not only does it sound the same as the other formats (to all practical extents anyway), it's one cable capable of streaming every audio output signal to the amp. I'd be lying if I said the single connection between both devices wasn't a factor in plumping the 3xxx series over the 2xxx series - I've got enough cables to route without having to run cables needlessly.

Just to reiterate the other guys shock, I actually can't believe you can buy optical cables at £80...

Cheers,

Colin

6. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mind boggling isn't it. My input on this is that I still advocate the 6 analogue cables This sounds best to me for all formats + 2 extra for CD. However that is only after spending lots of time setting it all up and lots of listening. I fully understand the convenience of just one lead and also realise that the quality of the output from the 3910 is dependant on the cables used and the speaker sysem used. Of course again the priority of HT v Pure music quality is something the end user has to decide. At this time I have configured DL 3 for all multi channel sound and stuck with the 2 cables for CD. This seems a fair compromise as I still listen to mostly CD for music only having some 25 DVDA and SACD as opposed to some 400+ CD's

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    I have done some experimentation with DL3/Dig coaxial/analogue phono for stereo. I find stereo analogue phono with pure direct on 3910 & 3805 with 3805
    room eq on flat gives the truest results in my setup, with a smoother treble (which is always vital with CD, since it can always be a bit harsh) This is when I compare CDR's of stuff I've done at work in the studio.

I use DL3 for multi channel, & so far I'm very pleased with it, including SACD.
    For stereo CD stuff I found the DL3 a bit digital sounding, although gives great
    detail. For SACD, since the hi end frequencies are captured at a higher resolution, it makes the top end smoother on SACD & good on DL3. I don't know
    if analogue would be better, but it's a lot of faffing around to set up.

T.

8. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can concur with the two posts above, I use the Denon link for multi channel and analogue connections when playing CDs in my 3910. There isn't a night and day difference between the two connection methods on CD replay, but I have a clear preference for the analogue (Chord Cobra).