1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon&KEF v Harmon Kardon&Infinity

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SimonJB, Mar 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SimonJB

SimonJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for my first AV Receiver & Speakers budget about £1K and would appreciate some help/advice.
    I am considering either Denon AVR 1804 with KEF KHT 2005.2 speakers (quote received £990 including cables) OR Harman Kardon AVR 230 with Infinity Oreus speakers (quote received £1080 without cables).
    Magazines/Reviews good for both but wondered what people thought.
    Advise from AV retailer suggests Infinity would gel better with HK receiver because HK own Infinity - is this correct?
    Personally I prefer the looks of the Infinity speakers and the Denon receiver (in silver) - would they perform OK together?
    Do the 2 receivers mentioned above have sufficient power to control the speaker packages mentioned? - is this a dumb Q?
    Is the Denon AVR 2803 significantly better than the 1804? - budget may stretch if so.
    Lots of questions - sorry - any help would be useful.

Current set up Panasonic 32" TV + Panasonic DMRE 69 recorder + Sky box + Philips VCR

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I can't offer an opinion on the Harmon/ Infinity combo, but the 1804 and 2005.2 work very well in my living room.:clap:

Balders.

3. SimonJB

SimonJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Balders.
    Anyone with any views on the HK/Infinity combination.
    Cheers.

4. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I would also consider
    Harman Kardon AVR 230 with Infinity Oreus speakers

HK do some great amps I think the AVR 230 will be a level above the 1803. Also I demoed the Infinity Oreus and kef eggs and couldn't tell much of a difference......

Also they will be a good match as both are the same company.....

If possible Demo the two and decide for yourself......

I've made alot of mistakes that could have been avoided by demoing.....

Having said that I would go for HK with the kef eggs.

5. SimonJB

SimonJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Depsi.
    So you reckon the KEF eggs are a better bet than the Infinity Oreus. Any thoughts on the Denon AVR 2803?

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SimonJB - were I you I'd buy the Denon & Kef combination. Such differences in performance at this end of the price spectrum and with these 'types' of speakers are always going to be small, so you may aswell stick with the sexiest amp & speakers & the amp with the best internal processing - in which case I'd choose the Denon & kef combo.

I have owned the Denon AVR1803 (but recently sold it) and have heard it with the Kef Eggs. It was an excellent combination but at the very top-end of the volume range (i.e. Reference Levels) the amp does have a tendancy to run out of steam.

I'm buying a Denon AVR2803 tomorrow and will be posting my more 'in depth' review of it and its comparison to both the 1803 and 3803 after I've had a couple of hours with it.

FYI, http://www.creative-audio.co.uk are selling a Denon AVR1803/Kef KHT2005.2 combination with all cabling for £888, which is a truly remarkable price. The AVR-1804 is not a substantial improvement over the 1803 and, IMHO, it is infact worse in some ways.

7. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    SimonJB

Yeah I think the Kef eggs we're slightly more pleasent sounding...
    Difference between the two wasn't huge. I believe personal preference could swing it.

IMO the kef eggs are no doubt very good but a little hyped....

HK also are very highly dynamic amps which are a very good all rounder i,e music & Movies.....

All I can suggest is that you demo the two if possible and decide which ones you prefer.....

I have no doubt that with either of these two you can't go wrong.......

8. SimonJB

SimonJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input - Cheers

9. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I agree with previous sentiments - there is very little difference when set up properly.

What swung it for me was that the KEFs are extremely popular and therefore will command a good second hand price when it comes to sell !

10. SimonJB

SimonJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spy - is setting up properly a bit tricky? I was led to believe that set up is pretty simple for both packages - is that really the case or am I going to be completely baffled as a first timer? Is one easier than the other - anyone know?

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're after ease of use you'll struggle to find better than the Denon 1804.

Harman Kardon have notoriously difficult-to-master user interfaces.

12. SimonJB

SimonJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy - That's interesting about HK - no one has mentioned that to me! Thanks

13. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    on the Contrary my HK was very simple to set-up maybe these new range HKs are easier to set-up.....

SimonJB - don't worry about set-up these amps are relatively easy to set-up. If you do have problems your buying popular products I’m sure there'll be many people to advice you on how to set these things up....

14. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I bought the Denon 2803 and the Kef speakers a few weeks ago. Speakers cost me £700 and the amp £480 from sevenoakes.
    The amp is not as gold as it looks in the magaiznes but is still a nice amp and the kef speakers are amazing, they look nice take little room, they are loud and the sound is very clear.

15. SimonJB

SimonJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your contributions.
    I bought the Denon 1804 and the KEF 2005.2's on Saturday - set them up on Sunday and they sound bloody fantastic to me.
    Still getting to grips with all the options though! - I may be looking for more help yet.

16. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont know the 230 but I have an HK avr 5500 and it works very well with Kef Q 55 if thats any help. Iuse to have a denon 1800 and the HK wipes the floor with that one. Its alot better with music as well.

17. ultraman

ultraman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it help there's a demo of the HK amp and infinity oreus at the ideal home show in London. runs to 4th april i think.

18. r_gissing

r_gissing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ultraman,

Do you know where at the Ideal Home show? I'm going next week, and would like to hear them if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Richard