Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon KAVCA1SE 2nd edition link upgrade anyone?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jules, Jun 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Hi,

yet another month passes by... and still no word from Denon or dealership re the 2nd edition link 'upgrade' (wrong word) procedure !!
    I've got bored of sending messages to Denon that get ignored, and phoning voicemails.

Month after month after month its the same story, ..false promises, misinformation, lies and 'deafness'.
    I've said it many times in the past, but our £5600 purchase(amp+upgrade+DVD) does not do what it says on the tin!

Is there any hope that Haydon Labs will lose their exclusive servicing rights for Denon. Evidence exists in bucket loads demonstrating their spectacular inadequacy.

Anyone any idea if/when the 'upgrade' will ever happen.

Jules

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    well, need to bring this subject up again. I just swapped out my Pioneer 868 for a Denon 3910 and would like to know what options there are about upgrading my k-avca1se to denon link S.E and possibly i-link.
    I'm not convinced I have made the right choice and may be tempted to look at going the Pioneer route again :(

3. boff

boff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a 3910 recently, I've not been able to plug the Denon link in as my AV setup is undergoing change. But I have plugged it into my Marantz KI7200 amp and the CD performance is simply stunning.

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,824
    Hi Steve

Denon Link S.E. is an available upgrade to the KA1SE but you'd need to contact Denon UK about it. No chance of I-Link though (or PLIIx for that matter). The Denon Link on the 3910 is compatible with Denon Link S.E. according to Denon USA.

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    rang Denon this morning and the Denon Link upgrade is free if you already have an upgraded unit :) so I'm gonna get mine done in the New Year :)

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Great stuff! Let us know how you get on :smashin:

7. Spero D.

Spero D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes please do as I have an upgraded AVC-A1SE here in Australia and the importer wants to charge me $1500 Aussie (around 450 pounds to enable the Denon Link SE as they said it needs a new board). Please let me know how you go and if it is only a firmware upgrade?

8. wakawanha

wakawanha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same story here. I have 3910 and KAVCA1SE. When I upgraded KAVCA1SE,
    I asked them activate DLink SE, if possible, but they don't ever answered to me.
    Now there is new importer in Finland. Let's see what they can do..

I eagerly wait AVR-4805 specs to come out.

Pete

9. denet

denet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying a KAVC upgraded A1SE, but am not quite sure what is included in the KAVC upgrade. From posts I've read there seems to be several different versions of this upgrade, unless I'm mistaken.

I've read that the KAVC upgrade has denon link 3rd edition, but other posts suggest that some KAVC upgraded machines only have 2nd edition, and that it might not even be activated. Can anyone clear this up for me?

If SACD gives approval for transmission through denon link or a IEEE upgrade becomes available, is this machine capable of doing the decoding? (No mention of it on the UK website under the KAVC upgrade)

Are there other things that may vary from one KAVC upgrade to another? - do they all have the PCM-1738E DACs with 4 DACs per channel in stereo mode and Pro Logic II?

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    all upgrades are the same except for the link.
    Early upgrades were provided with 1st edition link, later upgrades were provided with 2nd edition link.

As far as I know, there isn't an upgrade for the K-AVCA1SE available which provides 3rd edition link.

The Denon link saga has all been a terrble mess. In fact, I've heard that although 3rd edition Denon link has been provided on their most recent amps, their DVD players cannot be upgraded by firmware to pass SACD.
    So it would look like you'd have to send your DVD player back to Denon or wait for the next generation of Denon DVD players.

Dear oh dear!

However, for all the negative things I have to say about Denon's service and ability to deliver on promises, it must be added that a K-AVCA1SE sounds awsome!

11. Seidelkm

Seidelkm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my K-AVCA1SE upgraded to Dlink SE for connectability to a DVD-A11. The upgrade was done for $0 by through my local dealer by Audio Products Australia, the Denon importer.

I am pleased to see that SACD 2.0 in now approved for future Dlink transportation but I am highly sceptical that Denon will make it available for past models.

Does anybody know how to contact Denon directly to get to truth on what is the future for the K-AVCA1SE as the American site gave promise of an upgrade to AVCA1SRA but the German site claims that this is not technically possible?

Previous posting: -

Like others on this forum I am some what annoyed at Denon's approach to upgrades post the KAVC-A1SE offering. I now have two machines that are now not fully digitally connectable as I can not use the Dlink for SACD and the AVC is not firewire enabled.

This is a quote from the K upgrade "IEEE 1394 Firewire prepared DSP section, for future upgrade"; what upgrade ? And what the hell has happened to the supposed offering of the upgrade to the A1SRA ? Dare I mention SACD over the Dlink.

Note: The American site has made its upgrade section serial number dependent so one can not just Look And See, hiding all the upgrades from prying eyes.

The A11 has turned out to be a stop gap with the release of the XV. Mr. Denon how about the option of HDMI on the A11. I'd be happy with anything that shows commitment to prior customers.

I have spent a lot of money on the understanding that future technology and formats would be made available.

12. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,824
    Where did you hear this? As far as I was aware it would just be a case of a Firmware update. I'm sure Denon would like to avoid having to physically update a whole load of DVD players themselves.

As for new models, according to posts at AVS from a source close to Denon there are no new models in the pipeline.

13. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,824
    Try emailing them directly at the USA site. Much as I'd like my KA1SE upgraded with PLiix etc, it was never promised. All they stated was that it would be available for the 5803 (A1SR). Owners of already upgraded 5800's (KA1SE) would have to wait for any news regarding an upgrade.

I do find it strange that Denon Germany say an upgrade is not technically possible when the KA1SE and A1SR share the same digital board/section. :confused:

14. wakawanha

wakawanha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was it only software upgrade?

Pete

15. Seidelkm

Seidelkm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't actually know but I'll see what I can find out.

16. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,824
    Hi

Denon kept all the old DSP boards when they did the upgrade. An original A1SE board wouldn't do you any good for an A1SR anyway as it's completely different (DAC's, DSP's etc). Your best bet is to contact a Denon Service Centre/Agent to see if you can purchase one. :)