Denon HEOS will not play from IOS issue.

Reb Peel

Novice Member
Denon HEOS will not play from IOS issue.
I have 3 Denon HEOS speakers connected to the HEOS app on my IPad and IPhone. Music is also stored n our Synology NAS. Up until the recent HEOS update all was well but in the past 2 weeks we’ve not been able to play tracks from our own music without issues. The NAS does not show in the server list. When we select tracks from IPhone or pad they might start, then stop/skip, then message appears saying media is not able to play. IOS is fully up to date as is the App. Quality setting is on Normal and the issue is the same for grouped or ungrouped. Using radio or Amazon Prime is fine so the system is communicating. the most we can play is about 1/2 track before it fails. Anyone had any similar issues? I’ve messaged HEOS but no response after 2 days but it was the weekend.

Merlix

Novice Member
I can't either. Since the last update of the Heos app, both in iOS 15.1 (iPad pro 11 and iPhone 8+) and Android 11 (Samsung Note20 ultra) I can't watch my Synology NAS from the Heos app.

Too I’ve messaged HEOS but no response

Regards from Spain

—- spanish text —-

Yo tampoco puedo. Desde la ultima actualización de la app Heos, tanto en iOS 15.1 (iPad pro 11 y iPhone 8+) como en Android 11 (Samsung Note20 ultra) no puedo ver mi NAS Synology desde la app de Heos.

Tambien he enviado un mensaje a Heos sin respuesta aún.

Saludos desde España.

DaveS00

Standard Member
I had issues with WIn10/Linux NAS/Sonos 1's - wonder if it's a similar issue.

My network runs SMB and Samba on the Linux NAS, the mix of devices caused an issue with SMB1/2/3. SMB 3 is the current standard protocol which current kit will support. SMB 1 & 2 have generally been ditched due to security vulnerabilities. I had to alter the config of my Linux NAS so that it would support both SMB 3 (for Windows 10) and SMB 1 (for the elderly Sonos 1's). I'm not familair with what HEOS uses, could be DLNA in which case it should all just work, and the above isn't applicable.

Cebolla

HEOS devices don't support SMB or any other form of network file sharing and can only access your own files over the network from UPnP/DLNA media servers (as you suspected anyway). So yes, network file sharing issues are not applicable to HEOS.

Further, I certainly wouldn't say that UPnP/DLNA network device discovery "should all just work". If anything it's far more common to have device discovery issues with UPnP/DLNA than it is discovering SMB file servers.

Last edited:

Cebolla

The NAS does not show in the server list. When we select tracks from IPhone or pad they might start, then stop/skip, then message appears saying media is not able to play.
Are you able to see the NAS's media server occasionally on the HEOS app's server list? If not, how are you able to select its tracks?

Cebolla

I can't either. Since the last update of the Heos app, both in iOS 15.1 (iPad pro 11 and iPhone 8+) and Android 11 (Samsung Note20 ultra) I can't watch my Synology NAS from the Heos app.
Are you able to see the Synology NAS's media server using a UPnP/DLNA controller, such as the BubbleUPnP Android app?

If so and the problem is only due to the HEOS app update, then you may be able to use the BubbleUPnP app instead of the HEOS app to control your HEOS device and play your NAS's music files, while you are waiting for the issue to be fixed by Denon/Marantz.

Last edited:

Merlix

Novice Member
Are you able to see the Synology NAS's media server using a UPnP/DLNA controller, such as the BubbleUPnP Android app?

If so and the problem is only due to the HEOS app update, then you may be able to use the BubbleUPnP app instead of the HEOS app to control your HEOS device and play your NAS's music files, while you are waiting for the issue to be fixed by Denon/Marantz.
Hello. Problem solved, a simple restart of my Synology NAS and everything is fine again.

And even the most expert sometimes we get problems that ultimately are only nonsense.

Thank you for the help.

— Spanish —

Hola. Problema resuelto, un simple reinicio de mi NAS Synology y todo vuelve a estar bien.

Y es que hasta los más expertos a veces nos surgen problemas que finalmente solo son tonterías.

Gracias por tu ayuda.

DaveS00

Standard Member
HEOS devices don't support SMB or any other form of network file sharing and can only access your own files over the network from UPnP/DLNA media servers (as you suspected anyway). So yes, network file sharing issues are not applicable to HEOS.

Further, I certainly wouldn't say that UPnP/DLNA network device discovery "should all just work". If anything it's far more common to have device discovery issues with UPnP/DLNA than it is discovering SMB file servers.
Interesting - I guess it depends on the specific equipment mix - I've only had one problem with UPNP, but have with SMB many

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom