• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Denon HEOS TV Sound distribution to all rooms

tech123gr

Novice Member
I have connected my Sony TV to HEOS AVR-X2400H through optical (as 'TV AUDIO') and I listen to it thought the connected speakers (Main Zone). The problem is that I cannot send the TV sound to the 5 HEOS AMPS and the 1 HEOS Link I have connected to the network.

- All the devices are properly connected to the network and are visible and controllable through the HEOS App.
- I can send music from various other sources through the HEOS App (radio, etc) to them.
- I have enabled the "TV Sound Grouping" option for all of them.
But I cannot send the TV sound to them. Is there anything else I need to do or is it supposed to happen automatically each time I click the TV AUDIO button at my remote?
Thank you.

tech123gr

Novice Member
UPDATE: I just received an answer from Denon:
[...] The Heos enabled Denon AVRs are not able to play TV audio over the Heos network. There are however some heos devices that can [...]

Mike82

Novice Member
I just purchased a Denon AVRX2400X and am trying to do what you were. I was told by Denon support last week that the TV grouping would work with the AVRX2400H to play the TV in other rooms using HEOS. (I have not yet gotten it to work though)

Mike82

Novice Member
I just purchased a Denon AVRX2400X and am trying to do what you were. I was told by Denon support last week that the TV grouping would work with the AVRX2400H to play the TV in other rooms using HEOS. (I have not yet gotten it to work though)

So, after spending about an hour on the phone with a Denon tech, he finally determined that the AVRX2400H will only send analog inputs to remote HEOS speakers. I am going to try a signal converter that will take the optical audio and convert to analog.

See also...
HDMI sources connected to Denon AVR models: AVR-S730H, AVR-S930H, AVR-X1400H and AVR-X2400H are not displayed on the HEOS App.

airwind

Novice Member
So, after spending about an hour on the phone with a Denon tech, he finally determined that the AVRX2400H will only send analog inputs to remote HEOS speakers. I am going to try a signal converter that will take the optical audio and convert to analog.

See also...
HDMI sources connected to Denon AVR models: AVR-S730H, AVR-S930H, AVR-X1400H and AVR-X2400H are not displayed on the HEOS App.
hi Mike, did you have any luck in getting this setup to work please?

I have a similar Sony TV connected to X2400H and a couple of Heos 1 HS2 speakers. Heos music plays fine wirelessly but not TV sound. Any help would be much appreciated

Mike82

Novice Member
hi Mike, did you have any luck in getting this setup to work please?

I have a similar Sony TV connected to X2400H and a couple of Heos 1 HS2 speakers. Heos music plays fine wirelessly but not TV sound. Any help would be much appreciated

Hi airwind,

I tried three different converters and had mixed results. The first converter didn't work at all. Apparently, the converter couldn't decode the 5.1 digital from the TV signal. The second converter worked, but periodically would summon Alvin and the Chipmunks (best way to describe the weird sound). The third converter worked the best, but the remote speaker sound dropped out often enough that I finally gave up. I don't know if the 3rd converter problem was the converter or the wireless connection. All of the converters we inexpensive ones from Amazon, so that might have been part of the problem. In summary, the concept worked, but not good enough (in my case) for actual use.

airwind

Novice Member
Hi airwind,

I tried three different converters and had mixed results. The first converter didn't work at all. Apparently, the converter couldn't decode the 5.1 digital from the TV signal. The second converter worked, but periodically would summon Alvin and the Chipmunks (best way to describe the weird sound). The third converter worked the best, but the remote speaker sound dropped out often enough that I finally gave up. I don't know if the 3rd converter problem was the converter or the wireless connection. All of the converters we inexpensive ones from Amazon, so that might have been part of the problem. In summary, the concept worked, but not good enough (in my case) for actual use.
thanks Mike. I am not too hopeful that my current setup will work and get a feeling that I will have to return the AVR and try something else.

airwind

Novice Member
well time for an update with things WORKING. Big thanks to Mike as I had almost given up.

What I needed:
- Optical cable (Toslink Male to Toslink Male)
- RCA cable (2-male to 2-male)
- 192Khz audio converter (something like this)

Connect:
- the Optical cable from the TV output to the converter optical input
- the RCA cable from the converter dual audio output to the CBL/Sat input on the
AVR

Setup:
- TV input changed to connected AVR
- Start setup on your Denon AVR
- Go into input settings from the UI
- Follow these steps to enable the CBL/Sat as input
- Go into your Heos app Music tab on the phone
- Go into inputs and select Denon AVR - CBL/Sat
- Group your wireless Heos speakers with the Denon AVR within the app
- Play the TV
- Select source as CBL/Sat as input on the Denon AVR

voila there you go! Did a quick surround sound test and it seems to work fine.

Observation:
- Occasionally the audio chops off for a millisecond.

I can live with this for now and hope there is some better software/solution which improves this experience in the near future. Anyways, if the current setup hadnt worked then I was thinking of selling my AVR and the 2 heos speakers and I would have ended up at a loss. So its a win for now.

I hope Denon are taking notice of these issues. Its a shame that such an expensive AVR doesnt have such a simple feature and they claim to be selling wireless multiroom speakers. I dont see why it matters what the source for the wireless multiroom speaker is.

meagabyte

Well I was just tinkering with this and managed to get sound from the movie Ready player one playing out of my Heos 1s. Have a Sony x800 UHD connected to the AVR via HDMI. However I’ve spent an hour and can’t reproduce my success at all.

spidercow

Novice Member
Hey guys finally I found this very useful discussion when I faced the exact same problem. I use a Marantz NR1508 AVR with several passive speakers and two HEOS 1. I tried a couple of possible methods but still failed to distribute TV audio to all speaker. Then I noticed that the problem is I used an optical fiber to transport digital audio signal from TV to Marantz when I read this discussion. My solution: buy an optical to aux adapter (ugreen, 15-20 dollars), transport TV audio through the adapter then to the Analog In of Marantz, set Input Assign properly, go to HEOS APP select the audio source as "TV audio" or some other input names you set. I also read this blog that the author claimed only the highest models of Denon AVR could allow distributing digital input signal to HEOS system and only in 2ch audio. So I suppose using the Analog In is the best solution at present.

meagabyte

Good to hear you got it working.
I’ve got a Sky box going into AVR via HDMI and this still won’t push sound to the HS1 or 3. Yet if I put a CD in the UHD spinner then the AVR passes music to the speakers just fine. I know the system is limited to stereo and I’m guessing sky is using something that the speakers don’t like.

spidercow

Novice Member
Good to hear you got it working.
I’ve got a Sky box going into AVR via HDMI and this still won’t push sound to the HS1 or 3. Yet if I put a CD in the UHD spinner then the AVR passes music to the speakers just fine. I know the system is limited to stereo and I’m guessing sky is using something that the speakers don’t like.
Hi, I also tried with HDMI input via the box from the local carrier, while still not working. I guess all digital inputs are not compatible with HEOS system at present. Maybe a HDMI Audio Splitter (e.g. this one) could solve your problem, through the audio quality will be worse but it seems to be the only solution at present.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom