Question Denon Heos and Alexa issue.

snig300

Established Member
Reaction score
Having an issue playing Deezer premium on my Denon av that supports Heos.

I can not get Alexa to play Deezer on the Denon av vie Heos unless I use the Heos or Deezer app.

Once Deezer is playing on the Denon, I can then use Alexa to control Deezer, such as change tracks, play an artist, volume etc

Is there a way to get Alexa to play Deezer with a voice command? as all devices say they support each other, but Alexa when asked to play Deezer on Denon, says it's not supported on this device?

Have you installed the Deezer skill on Alexa and made that your primary music source ?

Have you installed the Deezer skill on Alexa and made that your primary music source ?

Yes, it does say Deezer is default but it also has Amazon listed as default too, can't find a way to uncheck Amazon music as a music source though.

Hi set this up today with my Denon amp using Alexa and Prime music. Works great!!
Few points that may help you are:
1 is Deezer set as your main music source in Alexa app?
2 how have you named the amp in the HEOS app? I called mine “Amp” but Alexa wouldn’t work with that I then renamed it to family room and it works good now. Family room was a HEOS app suggested name.
3 does the Alexa skill show as linked to the HEOS app.
Now when I ask Alexa to play “whatever song, artist or album on family room” the amp turns on and Alexa responds with “playing *********** on family room with amazon prime music. 3 seconds later the music plays through the amp.

Hope this helps

Hi set this up today with my Denon amp using Alexa and Prime music. Works great!!
Few points that may help you are:
1 is Deezer set as your main music source in Alexa app?
2 how have you named the amp in the HEOS app? I called mine “Amp” but Alexa wouldn’t work with that I then renamed it to family room and it works good now. Family room was a HEOS app suggested name.
3 does the Alexa skill show as linked to the HEOS app.
Now when I ask Alexa to play “whatever song, artist or album on family room” the amp turns on and Alexa responds with “playing *********** on family room with amazon prime music. 3 seconds later the music plays through the amp.

Hope this helps

I did try changing the name of Denon to living room, Didn’t work, but when I asked it to play music on Denon, Alexa asked me did I mean “living room” I said yes, yet then said it wasn’t supported lol

I’ll go through your suggestions and get back to you...

Ok tried the "family room" rename and it works...but only with Amazon music not Deezer? when I said to use Deezer, it says it's not supported on this device, yet I can play Deezer on the Denon and Alexa, but seemingly not have Alexa play Deezer using the AV?

Last edited:
OK go to SETTINGS --> MUSIC in the Alexa App
Now under ACCOUNT SETTINGS (scroll down) go to DEFAULT SERVICES and you can change your default music service here.

OK go to SETTINGS --> MUSIC in the Alexa App
Now under ACCOUNT SETTINGS (scroll down) go to DEFAULT SERVICES and you can change your default music service here.

The only option for deezer there, is for it to be my default music library which it is, under the default music “station” is listed as Amazon music.? I can’t see a way to not have Amazon as the default music station, I’m unable to uncheck that option or add Deezer.

I’ve now cancelled Amazon prime, see if that gets rid of Amazon being the default, I dint have Amazon music just the prime, which gave me limited access to Amazon music.

Rang Amazon to see if they could help, got the standard call centre response of a guy reading a script, he didn’t have a clue, on the phone for 20 minutes, he ended up saying he would go away and reseach then ring me back later that night, he never did.

I found the answer myself. Turns out even though Amazon echo and HEOS support Deezer, they don’t support Deezer using Amazon echo as a source to the Denon HEOS! Crazy that a product says it supports another but doesn’t support all aspects of that service.

My options are to use Amazon music [which streams imo at too low of a bit rate to send to external speakers or Using Tunein.

I’ll stick with turning Deezer on the Denon manually, then having amazon echo control it, weird that the only action Amazon echo won’t support is initially sending Deezer to the Denon Heos with a voice control.

Last edited:
We are very early days with this kind of tech. My AVR X2400H lives in a larder unit in my kitchen and I control it with an Echo dot. As it is mainly background music I am not too bothered on streaming quality as I am running it through a pair of MA C165 ceiling speakers and a BK Gemini sub. I have a reasonable FLAC 16 bit and 24/96 collection and neither the AVR or speakers are really good enough to discern the difference in quality from Absolute Radio / Spotify from my FLAC sources in an open plan kitchen / family room with a lot of hard surfaces

This is old but I thought I’d post a message as I had a similar problem. I fixed it by going to the “downstairs” group and setting the “preferred speaker” to the AVR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom